No Gay Sperm.

No Gay Sperm - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 6th Jul, 2005 - 11:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

5th May, 2005 - 7:59pm / Post ID: #

No Gay Sperm.

To the dismay of gay-rights activists, the Food and Drug Administration is about to implement new rules recommending that any man who has engaged in homosexual sex in the previous five years be barred from serving as an anonymous sperm donor.

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7749977/

The article mentions that this is being done because they pose a higher than average risk for having aids. Those opposed claim bigotry. They say certain behaviors are a risk whether it is homosexual or heterosexual and that is what should be screened.

What do you think?

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Sponsored Links:
5th May, 2005 - 10:26pm / Post ID: #

Sperm Gay No

I agree that there are other behaviors that create risk, that should be screened, but homosexual behavior is the most risky, by far.

This shows, to me, how the issue of homosexuality and HIV have become such political hot potatoes. In the 1970's, someone proclaimed that any opposition to homosexuality was based on "homophobia", so that stance has become the normal response to any concerns about health problems as well as concerns about moral problems. The problem is that there are very valid health problems, such as the fact that within the US and other Western countries, the rate of HIV infections is incredibly higher among homosexuals than among the general population.

From the article, it certainly appears that the FDA is acting responsibly in its primary responsibility of protecting the public. If anything, I wonder if it isn't too lax in some other areas.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

6th May, 2005 - 10:14am / Post ID: #

No Gay Sperm. History & Civil Business Politics

It's well know that HIV infection rate is considerably higher within the gay community so I can certainly understand any fears associated with gay people donating sperm.

However I believe that this really is a medical issue and if the screening methods used are 100% accurate then potential donors should not be discriminated against because of their sexuality.

Another issue I find amusing is gay marriage and why some states in the US and many other countries don't recognise it. I can't for the life of me understand why the State or Church should prevent gay people from marriage. Is it really anyone else's business what people do in their private lives and who gives these institutions the right to dictate what is right or wrong in this instance?

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

6th May, 2005 - 11:23am / Post ID: #

Sperm Gay No

I think the problem is that it isn't 100% accurate. I don't think anything is really in medicine, except death. So, if it isn't 100% accurate, how much risk is acceptable. There is risk even from non-homosexual donors as well.

Offtopic but,
Arvhic, we have a thread that discuss this issue on the religions board, click here to read it.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Post Date: 6th Jul, 2005 - 11:18am / Post ID: #

No Gay Sperm.
A Friend

Sperm Gay No

I think that all donations should be screened regardless, I know that H.I.V is more prevalant in the gay community but with one in three people under the age of 25 contracting a sexually transmitted disease at some point in their lives (this is statistics from u.k can't speak for anywhere else) I think thats going to begin to change, I believe that sperm donors are becoming less frequent as it is so why discriminate against a quite a large part of the community when a simple screen test would answer the question of any health problems such as H.I.V, Hepatitas etc

> TOPIC: No Gay Sperm.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,