Fundamentalist Mormons In Canada

Fundamentalist Mormons Canada - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th Jan, 2009 - 9:22pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
A thread to observe how current Polygamy groups are striving in a place where they are not harassed.
18th Aug, 2005 - 1:51pm / Post ID: #

There are always two sides of a story, wether they be wrong or right, and so I thought, instead of just discussing the Doctrinal aspects, why don't we look at a controlled group that is striving to live plural relationships and see what comes of it.

Basically the group in Canada was formed when:

international QUOTE
This polygamist community, which is part of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, has lived in British Columbia for well over fifty years. Its history can be traced back to the Mormon community in Utah. When the official Mormon Church banned polygamy in 1890, authorities stepped in and began to round up and jail those who openly defied the edict. A splinter group wanting to practice polygamy fled into the desert and established a settlement that came to be called Colorado City on the Utah/Arizona border. Another group traveled up to Canada and set up a polygamist community near the present day town of Cardston, Alberta. In Canada, Ottawa declared polygamy a criminal offence and in time their lifestyle began to disappear.

But shortly after the Second World War, a small group of polygamist diehards left Cardston determined to set up their own community in British Columbia. They bought property and settled in a remote valley near the town of Creston close to the US border. Their community would come to be known as Bountiful and it quickly established social and family ties with the main polygamous community of Fundamentalist Mormons based in Colorado City, Arizona.

Now what is interesting about this is it almost seems 'hip':

international QUOTE
Within the last decade there has been a remarkable growth in the populations of the polygamous communities of Colorado City, Arizona and Bountiful, British Columbia. It has resulted in a growing influx of young women moving from the US community to Bountiful in an effort to establish closer ties with Winston Blackmore and the Canadian group.

This flow of young women back and forth across the border has raised concerns for Carol Anderson who works as an immigration officer on the Idaho/BC border. She's turned many of these American girls away because she knew they were going to Bountiful for the express purpose of marriage.

Read this web page and see what you think: Source 1

This a full list of links about it:
Source 8

Sponsored Links:
22nd Aug, 2005 - 8:07pm / Post ID: #

Canada Mormons Fundamentalist

Perhaps polygamy will some day enjoy the same sort of "vogue" that homosexuality currently has. Isn't it interesting that to be gay was once considered a mortal sin, but in today's culture, it's artsy and fashionable? I can see the same thing in a limited way with this story.

22nd Aug, 2005 - 9:22pm / Post ID: #

Fundamentalist Mormons In Canada Studies Doctrine Mormon

I doubt Plural Marriage will ever become vogue or even a fad because without the necessary guidance / controls there is a lot of room for abuse, jealousy and lust. The other thing is that a Polygamist male does not look or behave in any particular way as opposed to a male in a monogamist relationship (just to show why being gay can be considered 'artsy' as you put it, then again correct me if I am wrong).

I believe if it (Polygamy) does gain popularity it will be because there are people looking to belong to something that makes them feel protected and wanted. In other words, if someone, a female in this instance, is searching for a social / spiritual / psychological outlet and she comes across a Polygamist group with an element of religion in it then she may decide to join. With that said we can see that one of the number one negatives brought up with these kinds of groups is abuse. Now to blame this on a Plural relationship is wrong since there are MANY men abusing their children and wives every day. The problem is how do you SELECT a man WORTHY of Plural marriage?

Post Date: 18th May, 2006 - 1:32pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

B.C. POLYGAMISTS CLAIM PERSECUTION

Polygamists in Bountiful, B.C., say they're being persecuted by the RCMP and federal immigration officials.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20.../bountiful.html

Post Date: 9th Sep, 2007 - 5:57pm / Post ID: #

OPPAL SEEKS ANOTHER LEGAL REVIEW OF B.C. POLYGAMISTS

Attorney General Wally Oppal has asked for yet another review of whether members of a B.C. polygamist colony should be charged with sexual offences.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/...gamy-oppal.html

19th Apr, 2008 - 1:40am / Post ID: #

I wonder if the Texas episode will make the Canadians take a stronger look at what's going on in Canada?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 7th Jan, 2009 - 8:35pm / Post ID: #

Fundamentalist Mormons Canada

Polygamous leaders arrested in Canada

Two leaders of polygamous groups have been arrested in Canada, the Deseret News has learned. One of the wives of former Fundamentalist LDS Church leader Winston Blackmore confirmed his arrest. "It's for polygamy," she said, declining to give her name but telling the Deseret News she was one of Blackmore's wives. "They're talking to him right now and say he could come home tonight."
Ref. Source 7

7th Jan, 2009 - 9:22pm / Post ID: #

Fundamentalist Mormons Canada Mormon Doctrine Studies

Now this is where I get so confused by our fearless leaders here. They claim it is ok for a homosexual to marry then they get their dander up about a group like this. To me I see no difference in the two sectors of human relations as long as we put aside the Holy bible as a nice fairy story.

If we are to be fair to all then why not let them be as long as the people getting "Married" are of age and are consenting.

I hope they never do cave into them I just think it is the same double standard being applied here as it was with gay marriages.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Fundamentalist Mormons In Canada

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,