Vampire: The Masquerade original World of Darkness RPG

Vampire Masquerade Original World Darkness - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 12th Jan, 2017 - 10:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

26th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Cleric
Cleric
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Warlock
Warlock
Fighter
Fighter
Ranger
Ranger
Wizard
Wizard
Rogue
Rogue
Draconian
Draconian

RPG System Reviewed
Post Date: 20th Nov, 2015 - 5:18pm / Post ID: #

RPG Name: Vampire: The Masquerade original World of Darkness

Description: Vampire: The Masquerade original World of Darkness RPG Vampire: The Masquerade (original World of Darkness)

What are your reviews for this variety of role-playing game? Would Vampire: The Masquerade original World of Darkness play by post work well? What do you like / dislike about the game? Did it come out the way you expected it?

Played As: Vampire: The Masquerade original World of Darkness PBP RPG? or See more RPG systems

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 7th Jul, 2016 - 3:57pm / Post ID: #

Vampire: The Masquerade  original World of Darkness  RPG
A Friend

RPG Darkness World original Masquerade Vampire

I think VTM in the OWOD would be a wonderful Play By Post Role-playing Game. VTM is very much a narrative game and in a good group there can be much less emphasis on combat than out of combat situations. It is not unusual to have an entire game session without any combat. That kind of experience is well suited for Play By Post. The OWOD background is so richly developed which would make developing stories much easier. There are so many books to trigger inspiration if needed.
I might be a little biased. VTM was my introduction to Role-playing Games. I like Vampire the Requiem except I miss my beloved toreadors!

Post Date: 7th Jul, 2016 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Vampire: The Masquerade original World of Darkness RPG Reviews RPG & Card Board

VTM and more generally OWOD were great because of the Storyteller System. I got introduced to OWOD my freshman year of college back in the 90s.

I feel that the denizens of OWOD were more developed than say the races in Dungeons & Dragons. While cut my teeth on VTM. My favorites were Mummy, Mage, and Hunter.

Post Date: 7th Jul, 2016 - 6:38pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Vampire was a game of degenerating into madness where the system guaranteed tragedy. The high likelihood of botches is a feature of Storyteller. Bad things are supposed to happen. Once you accept that your PC is the gothic-punk equivalent of that Ewok in Return of the Jedi who clonks itself with it's own sling then you can get on with exploring the crazy parallel universe that is the World of Darkness.

Where it fails for me is the over saturation of setting material. I can understand why White Wolf did that. Supplements sell and make you money. They are also not needed. A super fan who has read all the supplements is no more prepared for the vampire Wells Martian (If you thought they were killed by germs, you thought wrong, very wrong) than anyone else.

3rd Jan, 2017 - 4:27am / Post ID: #

I agree with Kyrroeth that Vampire: The Masquerade would be well suited for a play by post game because it is a game that places emphasis on narration and storytelling. Aside from Traveller, VTM was one of my first forays into the Role-playing Game world outside of Dungeons & Dragons and the fantasy genre in general. I discovered it as a teenager and for a time it was my go to game, primarily because it was the only game that I could find others who were willing to play. One of my best friends was real into the Goth scene, so he was all about the Vampire thing so he wouldn't play much Dungeons & Dragons but I could rope him into VTM on occasion.

The only problem was that in playing it at the maturity level that I was, it had a tendency to bring out some pretty dark things and there were times it could get downright disturbing at the sheer brutality and sadism that came out in some stories that we told. It is a great game with a lot of potential for good character development and descriptive narration.

I never did play Requiem though.

Post Date: 9th Jan, 2017 - 6:28pm / Post ID: #

This thread is a review of the actual Vampire: The Masquerade original World of Darkness Role-playing Game system. Offers to run an Role-playing Game based on this system have been moved here: Skelepound Vampire: The Masquerade Role-playing Game Review.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 12th Jan, 2017 - 3:06am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Vampire Masquerade original World Darkness RPG

VtM was a good system when it came out and is still pretty solid, but it was designed as a stand-alone and you can't really use it with the other WW games that came out before the World of Darkness revamp. The systems just didn't interact well using them as written.
Using the system for mostly narrative play gets around that problem and makes it pretty good for Play By Post.
Players and Storytellers have to understand going in to the game, it's about either redemption or loss of humanity and what makes a person a person. This made it really good for the more mature of the highschool and college crowds, as they would bring the hack & slash, dungeon delving of Dungeons & Dragons .
The genre encouraged exploration and self discovery rather than just looking for something else to kill.
Some of my best memories of Role-playing Game's are from VtM & WtA, and I would definitely recommend it if you are running or looking to play in a game, especially a Play By Post.

Post Date: 12th Jan, 2017 - 10:30pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Vampire Masquerade original World Darkness RPG Board Card & RPG Reviews

Yes, that is very true. It is difficult to say the least to do crossovers in the Old World of Darkness. They weren't designed with compatibility between the systems. This isn't really a problem with VTM unless cross compatibility is your goal. It is refreshing playing characters that must commit evils to survive but strive to retain their humanity. It is a very dark path you walk in VTM.

> TOPIC: Vampire: The Masquerade original World of Darkness RPG

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,