Neil Gorsuch - Page 2 of 5

So, it appears the Republicans will have to - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 24th Mar, 2017 - 12:01am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Top  Neil Gorsuch Federal Judge
Post Date: 1st Feb, 2017 - 7:45pm / Post ID: #

Neil Gorsuch
A Friend

Neil Gorsuch - Page 2

I really don't see an option other than going down the "Nuclear option" path. I think the Democrats will filibuster this and every other President Trump pick for the SCOTUS for the next four years. I think we have actually come to that point. Remember, it was Democrat Harry Reid who started whittling away the filibuster back in 2013 when he did it and the Democrats had the majority. Now the Democrats have come to rue the day. I think if the Republicans do the same thing they too will come to rue their decision, but I see no way around it.

Sponsored Links:
1st Feb, 2017 - 7:58pm / Post ID: #

Gorsuch Neil

I believe if they go that way and change Senate rules then once a smaller majority is needed it will mean that other Trump appointees will just sail through. Of course if they ever lost the Senate then it would work against them in the future but for now its workable.

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 87 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 8.7%

Post Date: 1st Feb, 2017 - 8:04pm / Post ID: #

Neil Gorsuch
A Friend

Neil Gorsuch History & Civil Business Politics

Hunter,

They have already changed the rules so that a simple majority is required. This is what Harry Reid changed back on 2013 when the Democrats were the majority. Now, every court below the SCOTUS and all Cabinet-level appointment only require a simple majority. The SCOTUS picks are the one thing Reid did not change and my guess is the Republicans will change that. This is purely a guess on my part.

Post Date: 8th Feb, 2017 - 10:58pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Page 2 Gorsuch Neil

Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch told a US senator Wednesday that President Donald Trump's tweets about the judiciary are "Demoralizing" and "Disheartening."

In a meeting with Connecticut Democratic Sen. Richard Blumenthal, Gorsuch, who's largely been silent since Trump nominated him last week, took exception to Trump calling a federal judge in Seattle a "So-called judge" after blocking the President's travel ban.

"He said very specifically that they were demoralizing and disheartening, and he characterized them very specifically that way," Blumenthal said of Gorsuch.

Ron Bonjean, who is leading communications for Gorsuch during the confirmation process, confirmed Gorsuch called Trump's tweet about the "So-called judge" "Disheartening" and "Demoralizing" in his conversation with Blumenthal. Ref. CNN.

9th Feb, 2017 - 12:15am / Post ID: #

Gorsuch Neil

I am glad Judge Gorsuch is speaking out because he is already a federal judge and when President Trumps casts a shadow on the judiciary it casts a shadow on him too.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 18 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.8%

Post Date: 9th Feb, 2017 - 1:25am / Post ID: #

Neil Gorsuch
A Friend

Neil Gorsuch

I agree with Judge Gorsuch speaking out about this too. There are some policies President Trump is enacting or trying to enact I agree with. There are some I disagree with. But these are honest disagreements regarding policy. I won't call him a so called president because we disagree and he needs to learn not to belittle people because they have an honest disagreement. If we are going to change the climate in DC it has to start somewhere. Somehow I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon though.

Reconcile Edited: Abnninja on 9th Feb, 2017 - 1:26am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 23rd Mar, 2017 - 11:10pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Neil Gorsuch - Page 2

The Senate Judiciary Committee is holding another round of hearings Thursday on Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch, this time with 28 outside witnesses who will testify both for and against him, as two Democrats announced they're voting no on his nomination.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and Sen. Bob Casey both said Thursday they'd vote no on Gorsuch's nomination. Casey had been one of a dozen Democratic targets Republicans had hoped to woo as Gorsuch will need at least 60 votes to be confirmed and there are only 52 GOP members in the chamber.

Schumer of New York, a vocal critic of President Donald Trump's nominee to the high court, also made clear that Gorsuch will face a filibuster from Democrats, meaning the judge will need at least eight Democratic votes to advance to a final vote on confirmation.

No Democrats have come out in favor of him yet.

Schumer's announcement came minutes after Casey, a Pennsylvania Democrat running for re-election in a state Trump won, told reporters he, too, would vote against Gorsuch. Ref. CNN.

Post Date: 24th Mar, 2017 - 12:01am / Post ID: #

Neil Gorsuch
A Friend

Neil Gorsuch Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

So, it appears the Republicans will have to expand the nuclear option to the Supreme Court. All because the Democrats have to play tit for tat. Do they think the Republicans will let them filibuster for four years? And what about the next opening? Perhaps they thought they'd hold their breath and President Trump would nominate a liberal that wants to legislate from the bench. They were outmaneuvered by Sen. McConnell and they can't get over that.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Neil Gorsuch

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,