Food Stamps - Page 3 of 13

I think you answered the question with your - Page 3 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 11th Jan, 2011 - 3:00am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (13) »
USA Food Stamps
U.S.A. 34 million Americans receiving food stamps
Post Date: 6th Nov, 2010 - 11:02pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Food Stamps - Page 3

In U.S., 14% Rely on Food Stamps
By Sara Murray

Some 42,389,619 Americans received food stamps in August, a 17% rise from the same time a year ago, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. That number is up 58.5% from August 2007, before the recession began. Ref. Source 3

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 17th Nov, 2010 - 11:10pm / Post ID: #

Stamps Food

Hunger in America
By Patrick Martin

In a society which took seriously the value of human life and the future of its children, the spectacle of 50 million people at risk of hunger, including 17 million children, would be a social emergency. Ref. Source 3

Post Date: 11th Jan, 2011 - 1:09am / Post ID: #

Food Stamps Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Food stamp applications skyrocket in South Florida:

Nearly 1 million South Floridians need food stamps to get by - an increase of almost 200,000 in the last year alone. That jump is more than the entire population of Fort Lauderdale. Ref. Source 9

11th Jan, 2011 - 2:30am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Stamps Food

I am all for helping the needy, but I do get a little upset when I see the person in front of me in the US using food stamps to buy a basket full of junk food. A little junk food is OK, but if that is your diet then the government will be paying twice with their bad health.

Last time I was in the US, I got to watch a lady use food stamps to buy some seriously thick nice cuts of steak that I wouldn't even pay for... I am not sure that was the spirit behind the program.

11th Jan, 2011 - 2:37am / Post ID: #

Stamps Food

I thought what you could buy with Food Stamps was regulated, if not that is a serious oversight and I'm surprised that there is not limits on what you can buy with it.

11th Jan, 2011 - 2:42am / Post ID: #

Food Stamps

There are limits...but the limits are mostly on alcohol, tobacco and beauty products.

Source 3

Also, they don't want you to use them to buy hot prepared foods on site. My sister always talks about the person that comes into the store and buys a big basket full of junk food and then drives off in their BMW or name the luxury car. It is a good program at heart that is abused relentlessly.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
11th Jan, 2011 - 2:45am / Post ID: #

Food Stamps - Page 3

Based on the following from th link they do allow "junkj food" I guess as a reason for the children in a household, but if you were really limited with money would you want to spend it on "Soft drinks, candy, cookies, snack crackers, and ice cream are food items and are therefore eligible items" just because they are "food items"?

international QUOTE (fns.usda.gov)
"Junk Food" & Luxury Items
The Food and Nutrition Act of 2008 (the Act) defines eligible food as any food or food product for home consumption and also includes seeds and plants which produce food for consumption by SNAP households. The Act precludes the following items from being purchased with SNAP benefits:  alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, hot food and any food sold for on-premises consumption. Nonfood items such as pet foods, soaps, paper products, medicines and vitamins, household supplies, grooming items, and cosmetics, also are ineligible for purchase with SNAP benefits.

Soft drinks, candy, cookies, snack crackers, and ice cream are food items and are therefore eligible items

Seafood, steak, and bakery cakes are also food items and are therefore eligible items

Since the current definition of food is a specific part of the Act, any change to this definition would require action by a member of Congress. Several times in the history of SNAP, Congress had considered placing limits on the types of food that could be purchased with program benefits. However, they concluded that designating foods as luxury or non-nutritious would be administratively costly and burdensome. Further detailed information about the challenges of restricting the use of SNAP benefits can be found here:

11th Jan, 2011 - 3:00am / Post ID: #

Food Stamps Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 3

I think you answered the question with your question...

If you were really needy, would this be your spending habit? Probably, not. Which is why they shouldnt be driving a really nice new car to the grocery either in most cases. This is what aggrivates many about the program. When we get to watch all the abuses of it...

I have also been in places in Pennsylvania where there were poor that were using their food stamps and you could tell they were making that money go as far as they could...from the store they went to (ALDI's) and the car (least a 20yr old car) that they drove. In that case...the program worked as it should!

Reconcile Edited: Vincenzo on 11th Jan, 2011 - 3:04am

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (13) »

> TOPIC: Food Stamps

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,