Am I a Mormon?

Am Mormon - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 5th Aug, 2003 - 12:07am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 25th Jul, 2003 - 1:20pm / Post ID: #

Am I a Mormon?
A Friend

Am I a Mormon?

This is my first post. I hope this is an appropriate question for this forum.

My family has been members of the LDS church since the late 1800s. I was baptized, went to BYU and served a mission. I "left" the church nearly 15 years ago. Many years ago I committed sins that, had I been an active church member, would have resulted in excommunication. Though I'm not committing such serious sins currently, my lifestyle would prevent me from partaking of the sacrament (word of wisdom issues, for example). I have never been excommunicated and I have never asked for my name to be removed from the records of the church.

I have explored quite seriously other spiritual "paths" including Buddhism. Philosophically and theologically I am very eclectic, taking what I feel is good from any tradition. I continue to read books on Mormon topics, some of which might be considered "apostate" (D Michael Quinn for example). I find value in these books.
I continue to be attracted to and inspired by Mormon theology and Mormon history. I've been influenced positively by Mormonism, more than any other spiritual tradition. I continue to feel an affinity with Joseph Smith and the early church.

Several friends of mine (self-identified ex-Mormons) take issue with my continued claim that I am a Mormon. I'm not ever publicly representing myself as representative of the LDS church. It’s obvious to most people that I’m not active. It's just in my own mind, I feel like a Mormon and am not ashamed to say so. How do people on this list feel? Given the particulars of my beliefs and past, does it seem okay for me to call myself a Mormon?

Thanks,
Darby

Sponsored Links:
25th Jul, 2003 - 2:02pm / Post ID: #

Mormon I Am

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. Have you posted this somewhere else before? Your question as to if you are a 'mormon' is too general for an answer, but here are some points to consider....

1. We are not 'Mormons', we are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

2. There are only two kinds of members... those in good standing and those not in good standing. To know where you stand just simplay ask yourself the basic temple interview questions. If you can answer in a positive manner to each question then you are in good standing. If your answer is negative in any then you need to seek the help of your Bishop or Branch President. He cannot forgive you, but can set a path for you to receive forgiveness from the Lord.

Rather off topic, but...
You may wish to consider updating your profile. Do this by clicking the link at top called 'profile' and then when the page opens click 'modify'. Fill in the fields.

25th Jul, 2003 - 3:12pm / Post ID: #

Am I a Mormon? Studies Doctrine Mormon

It's just in my own mind, I feel like a Mormon and am not ashamed to say so. How do people on this list feel? Given the particulars of my beliefs and past, does it seem okay for me to call myself a Mormon?

Well, first of all nobody is perfect, even though the LDS Church is the only true Church it doesn't make the individuals on it perfect. There is not such a thing as 'Mormon' we are LDS members. Your question is very general maybe you can explain more what exactly you want to know. Personally I think if you're struggling with LDS doctrine issues whether you call yourself a Mormon or not it doesn't make those issues go away and I don't see the need for you to label yourself saying you are from a particular religion if you're having some problems in doctrine. Through prayer and personal communication with Heavenly Father you will find the answers you're looking for. smile.gif

Post Date: 27th Jul, 2003 - 4:58pm / Post ID: #

Am I a Mormon?
A Friend

Mormon I Am

Thanks for  your replys JB@trinidad and LDS_forever.  I'm going through a strange time where I'm reevaluating my relationship to "things Mormon".  I appreciate that the LDS church prefers to distance themselves from the term Mormon, but I tend to use "Mormon" to mean anyone (or group) who significantly derives their personal world view from the work of Joseph Smith.  I know it's not perfect (the term Mormon) and I respect the claims of the LDS church, but I also sympathize with any of the numerous groups and individuals who recognize Joseph Smith as a prophet.

I'm discussing these issues with a group of friends, (ex- or estranged-Mormons).  Do either of you mind if I share your replies to my original post?

Thanks again for taking my question seriously.

Darby

27th Jul, 2003 - 5:41pm / Post ID: #

Mormon I Am

I'm discussing these issues with a group of friends, (ex- or estranged-Mormons).  Do either of you mind if I share your replies to my original post?

It depends on what you mean by 'discussing'.

If this is a verbal discussion then sure, no one can decided what you should and should not discuss, however if this is something for print on another forum, web page or printed work then I would rather your friends join and read it here for themselves as I do not wish to contribute to 'other' works.

spock.gif I should mention that there is a religious beliefs and traditions board here that they can use if they want to share their 'point of view' so long as it is done without name calling or harsh statements. I hope that answers your question. All the best in your search of truth.

27th Jul, 2003 - 11:59pm / Post ID: #

Am I a Mormon?

Hey Darby, nice to see ya back. You can share my views with your friends sure but please do not quote me to add it in other forum OK? Also you can invite your friends here, make sure to tell them to read the rules first so there are not misunderstandings.

Rather off topic, but...
Please update your profile so you can add your flag and an avatar smile.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 4th Aug, 2003 - 10:04pm / Post ID: #

Am I a Mormon?
A Friend

Am I Mormon

I guess you could say you're still a mormon, though you're not a good one.  If you've committed sins worth of excommunication and haven't repented, then you're only a mormon because you haven't been caught... yet.  But you will be if you don't confess & repent.  Hopefully you'll decide to in this life, if you want to make it easier on yourself.  Not condemning you, just trying to be helpful...  

5th Aug, 2003 - 12:07am / Post ID: #

Am I Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies

I guess you could say you're still a mormon, though you're not a good one.  

Such a loving and caring brother...:smile.gif

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Am I a Mormon?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,