Overcoming Negatives in the Past

Overcoming Negatives Past - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th Jan, 2005 - 11:40pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

25th Apr, 2003 - 7:40pm / Post ID: #

Sad to say, even in the true Church you find those that are not so true themselves. Often you feel betrayed or hurt more by members that take advantage because you feel they should know better or you have trusted them more.

The Lord had a lot of these problems in the early Church, he was betrayed by those who were supposed to be his 'best'. When he was suffering for all our sins (and theirs too) his disciples were sleeping. I am sure the Lord felt very alone in his challenge.

This thread is NOT so much to focus on the specific bad thing that happened on you, but mostly, how you overcame it and recovered or plan to recover.

Sponsored Links:
26th Apr, 2003 - 1:47pm / Post ID: #

Past the Negatives Overcoming

I think by realizing that we are all human beings and that we all commit mistakes, some small ones,  others big ones. But it's not that easy when you see the members who you're having problems with every sunday. I guess that following the example of Christ would help, he said in the scriptures that if we have problems with someone in the Church we should go, talk with that brother and try to resolve the problem. That would show interest and love in our part.

5th May, 2003 - 12:37pm / Post ID: #

Overcoming Negatives in the Past Studies Doctrine Mormon

This is something I have to deal with a lot in my current position. I have actually found that I am getting better at it. Imagine for instance that someone does and says things to hurt you and they think that you do not know about it. I meet these people regularly and they have no idea, because I treat them normally. It was not easy at first, but I am mastering it. It can turn you off if you do not continually remember why you are in Church (it is not for the people).

Post Date: 6th May, 2003 - 8:48am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I havent been a member all that long (5 years now), but I have always been very strong. My testimony has always been the driving force for my activity in the Church, and I have never really let anything or anyone worry me at Church. I must admit though that as responsibility increases and we have more pressures in our Church activity then sometimes we do have to reflect upon the real reason we are doing what we do in the Church. My mission had a motto that we use to recite and it says:

Obedience is the price, Faith is the power, Work is the commitment, Love is the motive, the Spirit is the key and Christ is the reason.

That motto always puts things into perspective for me, especially the last passage, Christ is the reason. I am making a increased effort to strengthen my personal relationship with the Savior so that despite what every goes on in my life I will always have that inner peace that comes from the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  

29th May, 2003 - 5:26pm / Post ID: #

we all make mistakes and unless we are able to repent of them then we have to try and live with them. but remember that if we try to repent to the person that we are seeking forgiveness from and they refuse then the greater sin is upon them. and we can only pray for their well being. for when they look back in the after life they will see the error of their lack of kindness.

Post Date: 18th Jan, 2005 - 10:09pm / Post ID: #

"Reformation of the world begins with reformation of self. It is a fundamental article of our faith that 'we believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, [and] virtuous' (Articles of Faith 1:13).

"We cannot hope to influence others in the direction of virtue unless we live lives of virtue. The example of our living will carry a greater influence than will all the preaching in which we might indulge. We cannot expect to lift others unless we stand on higher ground ourselves."

(Gordon B. Hinckley, "In Opposition to Evil," Ensign, Sept. 2004, 4)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 18th Jan, 2005 - 11:40pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Overcoming Negatives the Past

This last quote is a very good point. How I live my life should be the focus, not my opinions or what I have to say. There is a great talk by President Monson about Joseph Smith setting an example for us, and he lists some of the things he taught us. President Monson says that Joseph Smith taught us these things by living them himself:

"2. By his own example, he taught us:

-courage at age seven

-faith in his fifteenth year

-honesty in responding to others about his first vision

-patience as a teenager

-diligence in bringing forth the Book of Mormon

-the importance of missionary work

-obedience to law

-the importance of having a clear conscience toward God and our fellowmen

-love in offering his life"

First Presidency Message The Prophet Joseph Smith:
Teacher by Example, By President Thomas S. Monson

I know that I can learn more about these principles by studying more about the life of Joseph Smith, and that the Lord would have me follow the example of him. I am truly grateful for the example of Joseph Smith, and especially of Jesus Christ. Though it is much harder to be an example in a place such as this forum, I now have something to ponder on; being a better teacher by example rather than trying to be a teacher by words. (Although, I try to have more go into my ideas than just my own thinking)

As far as how I have overcome bad things, very difficult challenges and trials in my life, I have had a lot of resources to help me along. Of all of my resources, nothing has helped me overcome things in my life more than the love, example, and the Atonement of my Savior, Jesus Christ. At times, I have needed time to overcome my "worldly" thoughts and feelings that would get in the way. I got through those thoughts, feelings, and the original circumstance/event through reading, pondering, and fervent prayer about His teachings from the scriptures. I had to do a lot of research into the Atonement and the words of the General Authorities. I needed to frequently visit the temple. I had to increase my faith and mature to be able to find the path of happiness. I am so grateful for the Lord's patience and guidance, ever watching over me and placing other great examples into my life. In having these great examples, I understand how important they are, and I hope to become more of one every day.

Reconcile Edited: dawnofthenew on 18th Jan, 2005 - 11:45pm

> TOPIC: Overcoming Negatives in the Past

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,