Analysis of the Anti-Mormon

Analysis Anti-mormon - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Apr, 2006 - 10:50pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
20th Feb, 2003 - 9:11pm / Post ID: #

Has there ever been a definition for an Anti-Mormon or is it just someone who is against the Church? You might think the answer should be obvious, but think about it. I have heard many members say things like...

*I believe the Book of Mormon is true, but don't like my Bishop
*I believe in Christ but hate going home teaching
*I believe in the Prophet, I just don't believe I have to go to the temple to be sealed
*Sex is okay so long as no one in the Bishopric knows you do it
* I cannot accept paying 10% of my income, I feel the Church is using the money to 'fill their pockets'

Could any of these members be considered 'Anti'?

Now let us look at a guy like Steve Benson. Do you think he has valid points or a grudge? Is he looking for things to say or is he truly filled with the spirit of an 'Anti'?

Now you may ask why this thread? Well, it is a common problem in the Church, but you rarely ever hear the issues these 'Anti' people bring up addressed by someone in authority. Here is a situation in a smaller way, but similar to how someone that may seem 'Anti' might have a genuine concern that falls on deaf ears.

On my mission I was zone leader over a Ward that was less than supportive of missionary work. I approached the bishop many times about helping us in various aspects of the work such as interviewing less actives, etc. I found this Bishop to be in such an opposition to what we were doing that one Sunday I said, "You will not find one missionary here next Sundy!" Next Sunday we left, I later found out that this Bishop was living an aulterous life while holding this sacred position, thus he acted out of spirit.

This shows that people may come into situations that may seriously turn them off. I feel the Lord will be very merciful with these people. Anyways, back to the issue at hand. What do you think about those who claim to be anti-mormons... how should we define them?

Sponsored Links:
5th Mar, 2003 - 5:55pm / Post ID: #

Anti-Mormon the Analysis

I never like the word 'anti' for some reason. Personally I think they're confused souls trying to figure out certain things that sometimes we don't have an answer for. Sometimes in the process they hurt people, some have such bad experiences that they cannot stand the Church anymore.
I heard comments like the ones you describe in your post, the one I heard the most is 'I believe the Book of Mormon is inspired but not historical', making reference that there is no way to prove historically the existence of the people in the Book of Mormon.

Now let us look at a guy like Steve Benson. Do you think he has valid points or a grudge? Is he looking for things to say or is he truly filled with the spirit of an 'Anti'?

I will not call him an anti-mormon since he's an atheist. I had the opportunity to e-mail back and forth with him. He's a very talented man but he struggles with so much LDS doctrine. It's sad not only because he was the grandson of Pres. Benson but also because he lost his faith in God, in the process, his family fall away too and all of them are at the present atheists living in Utah. He's part of the Atheists Association of Utah. I do know he and his wife had the opportunity to meet with two apostles to ask them some questions about LDS doctrine that they have been struggling with. None of those meetings were successful. Now, he goes and posts in all these web sites that speak evil about the church and that's what I don't fully understand the need for. It's funny because he said in the past that 'no matter what happens, I will always be a mormon. That's all I know to be'. In my opinion, he's just the product of the pressure he has felt for years being so close related to the Prophet, he was kind of demanded to be the 'perfect child' and 'LDS' member, but in the process his family forgot to help him to deal with those struggles that he took over the years. I do think he has very good points about the Church that I would like to know the answer for too, but the approach he's giving to it, its just crazy.

What do you think about those who claim to be anti-mormons.

Some of them have a deep envy on the blessings to be in the True Church. Others who have been excommunicated would love to come back but their pride doesn't help them and they prefer to stay angry and allow Satan play his game. No matter what, they're still our brothers and sisters, even though, they may not realize it, and we still have an obligation towards them to love them and show them the right path, the light, that directs us to Heavenly Father.

9th Mar, 2003 - 4:41pm / Post ID: #

Analysis of the Anti-Mormon Studies Doctrine Mormon

Atheists Association of Utah

There is an association for this? Wonder what their meetings are about?

Some of them have a deep envy on the blessings to be in the True Church.

When you join the Church its like a real relationship (similar to a marriage, probably hence the use of symbols like bridegroom), and when you leave it tears that relationship. Now as with any relationship that involved intamacy, there comes this saying...

"There is a fine line between love and hate".

9th Mar, 2003 - 11:07pm / Post ID: #

Anti-Mormon the Analysis

There is an association for this? Wonder what their meetings are about?

Yep, there is an Atheist Association in Utah https://www.saltlakevalleyatheists.org that's one of their web sites.

3rd Mar, 2005 - 6:47pm / Post ID: #

Anti-Mormon the Analysis

We have had a number of them trying to 'penetrate' our policies here about posting anti-Mormon rants. What I do not like about their position is this: If you have something to say - then say it without being insulting or sarcastic. This is something that always shows me how they are in the wrong. If they really had something important to say then their time would be spent trying to help others find Truth rather than just bashing and leaving no alternative.

13th Mar, 2005 - 5:34am / Post ID: #

In my opinion, I think there are several different types of Anti-Mormons:

1. Former members who left because of a conflict with another member, or more particularly, with a leader of their ward.

2. Former members, who did not have strong testimonies, who read something about the church that upset them and allowed that confusion to lead them away.

3. Former members who sinned or transgressed very seriously and were excommunicated and are now bitter against the church.

[With all of these above, the further they fall from the Truth, the harder they strive to fight against it. This is one of Satan's most powerful tools, in my opinion.]

4. Members or leaders of other churches who find it lucrative to write inflammatory books, films, pamphlets, etc., about the church.

5. Leaders of other churches who want so very desperately to keep the membership in their own churches strong, that they vilify *all* other faiths. By stirring up hate against another group, they stick more closely to their own.

~~~
These are just my observations from personal experiences.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 2nd Apr, 2006 - 2:05pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Analysis the Anti-Mormon

BECOMING AN ANTI-MORMON

Anyone who has spent much time reading anti-Mormon diatribes soon begins to spot the familiar patterns that are ubiquitous in that literary form. One blogger has followed Nibley's footsteps and provided a "guide" to becoming an "expert" anti-Mormon.
Ref. https://faithprorumor.weblogs.us/archives/180

2nd Apr, 2006 - 10:50pm / Post ID: #

Analysis the Anti-Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies

While I agree that there are several reasons one would be against the church, I would categorize only two types of anti-mormons. The first would be one who genuinely believes the Church is false and Mormonism is a lie. The second would be one who understands that the Church is true, but chooses the "easier" path. My brother-in-law is a minister in another faith. He is very anti-mormon, yet I believe he means well. He's very smart and well versed in the bible. He claims he seeks truth and seems genuine in that, yet he is never able to see the truth. It has been a great challenge for me to know how to respond to his opposition. My thoughts are, we shouldn't try to discern the motives of our anti-mormon friends. If we are respectful and honest in our discussions, perhaps we are more likely to get the same in return. At least, this is the only thing that remotely works for me.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Analysis of the Anti-Mormon

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,