Mormons Dealing With Temptation

Mormons Dealing Temptation - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Jul, 2005 - 6:36am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 10th Mar, 2004 - 1:49am / Post ID: #

Dealing With Temptation

"Jesus was also a being of flesh and spirit, but He yielded not to temptation (See Mosiah 15:5). We can turn to Him as we seek unity and peace within because He understands. He understands the struggle, and He also understands how to win the struggle."

(D. Todd Christofferson, "That They May Be One in Us," Ensign, Nov. 2002, 71)

Sponsored Links:
15th Mar, 2004 - 1:22am / Post ID: #

Temptation Dealing Mormons

Robert J. Matthews, "Searching the Scriptures: How to Face Temptation," Ensign, Aug. 1973, 68

"He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son." (Rev. 21:7.)

We are told in scriptures both ancient and modern that temptations do not come from God, but from Satan, or are a result of our own desires or weaknesses.

"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." (James 1:13-15.)

The Book of Mormon offers this explanation:

"Now the cause of this iniquity of the people was this-Satan had great power, unto the stirring up of the people to do all manner of iniquity. "¦ And thus Satan did lead away the hearts of the people "¦ [and they were] carried about by the temptations of the devil whithersoever he desired to carry them. "¦" (3 Ne. 6:15-17.)

===============================================

I also like this scripture:
"22 And there are also secret combinations, even as in times of old, according to the combinations of the devil, for he is the founder of all these things; yea, the founder of murder, and works of darkness; yea, and he leadeth them by the neck with a flaxen cord, until he bindeth them with his strong cords forever." (2 Nephi 26:22)

"a flaxen cord" --- A single strand of flax is like a strand of hair -- it is very fragile and will break very easily. You can't hold anything with it. But put many strands of flax together and you can't break it. So this scripture tells us how easily the devil can lead us into temptation with such a flimsy thing as a flaxen cord... and THEN, once he's got you, "he bindeth them with his strong cords forever." Not good.

We need to learn how easy it should be to break those flaxen cords, and shake off the devil's temptations for us to sin, procrastinate, rationalize, over-indulge, etc etc etc. Easier said than done, I know, but when we know what to look for, hopefully we can learn how to step away from these things.

Another one of those life-long projects...
Roz

16th Mar, 2004 - 8:03pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Dealing With Temptation Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (FarSeer @ 14-Mar 04, 8:22 PM)
Another one of those life-long projects...

I think that this is a trap, as well. I can't see any reason for it to be a life-long project.

In the New Testament, Paul refers several times to overcoming the "natural man." King Benjamin also discusses it in his great discourse. These things lead me to believe that it is possible to overcome the propensity to sin in this lifetime. We may still be tempted, but would have no desire to succumb to temptation. In fact, there are many references to the idea that if we receive the Baptism of Fire, or the Mighty Change of Heart, we will view sin with abhorrence, and will flee from the very thought or appearance of sin.

I understand that the Baptism of Fire is almost the beginning of our real spiritual journey. We gain or develop faith in Jesus Christ, repent, and are baptized. Then we are commanded to receive the Holy Ghost. But, as Lorenzo Snow found out, receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and receiving the Baptism of Fire are two different things. The Baptism of Fire appears to be the time when sin is burned out of us, and gives us an opportunity to really grow and develop spiritually.

NightHawk

16th Mar, 2004 - 8:21pm / Post ID: #

The Baptism of Fire appears to be the time when sin is burned out of us, and gives us an opportunity to really grow and develop spiritually.

If Lorenzo Snow said that the Baptism of Fire and Receiving the Holy Ghost are two different things, why do we refer this last one as the Baptism of Fire?.

I think we all face temptations every day in our lives and I do agree with Nighhawlk, that in a moment when we are truly converted we may feel tempted but not necessarily fall in sin again. I do strongly believe we can overcome the 'natural man' in each one of us, it may take almost all our energy but I think we can do it.

16th Mar, 2004 - 8:29pm / Post ID: #

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 16-Mar 04, 3:21 PM)
If Lorenzo Snow said that the Baptism of Fire and Receiving the Holy Ghost are two different things, why do we refer this last one as the Baptism of Fire?.

I apologize. I was trying to quickly get my thoughts down, and didn't expand enough on them.

Lorenzo Snow described what HE had experienced. After being baptized, he was confirmed and given the gift of the Holy Ghost (I think it was by Joseph Smith, Sr.). He was very disappointed, as for several days, he didn't notice any difference at all. So, a few days after his baptism, he went into the woods to pray about it. While there, he experienced what has almost become the "classic" description of the Baptism of Fire, wherein he felt like a flame entered him at the crown of his head, and burned through his entire body.

I don't know that he ever taught that they are two different things. I am separating them, because I believe that the Gift of the Holy Ghost is really what leads us to the Baptism of Fire, although the terms are definitely intertwined throughout scripture and the discourses of the Brethren. At times they are used to mean the same thing, at other times they appear to have very different meanings. I use the term, Baptism of Fire, to refer specifically to the Mighty Change of Heart, which, if maintained, leads to having our Calling and Election made Sure.

NightHawk

16th Mar, 2004 - 9:52pm / Post ID: #

Well, I am not sure being totally free of sin is really possible in this life. Certainly, I question the attainability of this for the average person. I think there are sins we are committing today from which we can be totally free as we progress, but I am not sure they can all be eliminated. Some sins are as simple as a passing thought. Then there are the sins of omission. We don't think of them that way and for good reason. Most of us have things we need to stop doing, that are of a greater magnitude than one of "lusting in the heart" for example.

I think the way most of us become "free" of sin is one at a time. For example, I can identify a problem area and really work hard to change that behavior. When I have that one licked to the point that I am not even tempted by it, I move on to the next. Perhaps one day, when I look for the next biggie to work on, I will find there are none left. I expect to be rather old by then though.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 16th Mar, 2004 - 9:53pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 6th Jun, 2005 - 11:18pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Dealing Temptation

"Avoid worldly wickedness. Know that God is in control. In time, Satan will completely fail and be punished for his perverse evil. God has a specific plan for your life. He will reveal parts of that plan to you as you look for it with faith and consistent obedience. His Son has made you free--not from the consequences of your acts, but free to make choices. God's eternal purpose is for you to be successful in this mortal life. No matter how wicked the world becomes you can earn that blessing. Seek and be attentive to the personal guidance given to you through the Holy Spirit. Continue to be worthy to receive it. Reach out to others who stumble and are perplexed, not certain of what path to
follow."

-- How to Live Well amid Increasing Evil, Ensign, May 2004, 102

17th Jul, 2005 - 6:36am / Post ID: #

Mormons Dealing Temptation Mormon Doctrine Studies

Being free from sin and being perfect are two different concepts in my mind. True, no person besides the Christ will probably attain a complete perfection in thought, word, and action before he or she dies. However, freedom from sin comes through the atonement of Christ, and as one accepts it and lives to qualify for its blessings, he or she will be freed from the bondage and spiritual death that is the result of sin. Therefore, the test is not to see whether we will sin. Of course we will. Even President Hinckley speaks of wanting to improve personally. The test is to see whether we will make a pattern of repentance and good works in order to invite Christ to free us from the effects of our sins.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mormons Dealing With Temptation

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,