Religious Discipline Methods And Abuse

Religious Discipline Methods Abuse - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 29th Dec, 2012 - 2:43pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Discipling your child - what works and what does not.
16th May, 2004 - 12:43am / Post ID: #

Growing up I went to several catholic schools. I got some serious blows from the following instruments: wooden ruler, black leather belt, bamboo stick and human hand. The places of infliction were: butt and hand, if they did not aim right it may be the upper leg by the hamstrings or the lower back right above the tale bone. This so called, 'punishment' was for simple things... Not passing a random test, talking in class, etc. Without offending anyone I thought I would start a thread about the discipline methods of the Catholics and other stern religious groups..

Here is a news article to lead off...

James Sullivan, 55, of Boston, attended the school from 1953 to 1967. He said his head was slammed into a wall and a door one day, and he was slapped around and hit with a yardstick until he was bloody. When he told his parents, Sullivan said, they did not listen to him. "They felt the nuns were right, you know, they had to discipline me," he said.
Ref. https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,119604,00.html

16th May, 2004 - 9:40pm / Post ID: #

Abuse Methods Discipline Religious

What a terrible story JB. sad.gif I have never been beaten by a nun or a Priest and I did go to a Catholic school (Argentina do not support physical punishment at schools). But I have heard very sad stories about this, I never fully understand why the nuns I met in my life were so 'moody' all the time, they never had anything nice to say and they seem like they did not like children at all. For someone who is supposed to be closer to God by praying, and by actions, the nuns I met in my life are very far from being the loving type ladies undecided.gif

Post Date: 27th Nov, 2004 - 6:55pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Religious Discipline Methods And Abuse Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

That's crazy! I'm not even sure I'd be able to hit my own child, nonetheless somebody elses. There are so many more positive ways to discipline a child than by hitting them. I used to get the tar smacked out of me when I misbehaved, but another way my parents disciplined me was by yardwork. Of course, this created a bad connotation affiliated with yardwork, and I absolutely abhor it, but it wasn't getting slapped around.

At school, there are definately ways of disciplining children. I know some teachers who have a notebook system. They'll give each student 5 tickets in the morning, and if they have to sign the notebook, they have to give up one ticket. If they have to sign it again, they double the number before. So the second time, they'd have to give two, the third time, four, etc. At the end of the day, the tickets went to earning prizes. There were a lot of positive reports that came back a system like this because a lot of the problem solvers would realize "Hey, I'm not getting anything cool" and have a change of heart. Granted, this is on an elementary level.

1st Dec, 2004 - 3:43pm / Post ID: #

I do not advocate abuse of any type. However, I am also frustrated by the deterioration of teachers' rights regarding discipline in the classroom. If I am teaching in a high school, and a football player 50 lbs. heavier than me starts punching me, I had better not hit or kick or react in any manner, except standing and walking away. Legally, I probably shouldn't even touch the kid. So theoretically, if he had me in a corner, I would just have to take it until he got tired of beating me up. To hit back, even in self-defense, would get me both sued and fired.

Our society does not seem to hold students responsible for their actions, and their discipline problems or lack of academic effort are construed as the teacher's fault. I do not advocate beating children, but I do like the idea of giving the rights of corporal punishment back to the principals with strict definition. I would never encourage the use of rulers, belts or other objects. But I know that I would be a complete brat if my parents hadn't given me a few quick smacks on the bum, open hand, during my preschool and elementary years.

I don't claim to have a real or legally viable solution, but I know that what is happening currently in schools is not right. Any suggestions?

Post Date: 17th Jan, 2005 - 2:45pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Oh my gosh!!! I am sick to my stomach about this. I cannot read stuff like this around the forum and not reply! For those of you who don't know, I used to be a Catholic and I remember hearing rumors about the Catholic schools, but never knew if they were true. I can tell you that the only Nun's and Priests I knew I thought were good people. What happened to Mr. Sullivan is disgusting and vile, and the perpetrators committed evil acts upon this poor, innocent man when he was still a child. These were not loving acts from faithful Nun's, but gruesome acts by women who claimed to be followers of Jesus Christ, perpetrated on the most innocent and vulnerable of victims. He did not deserve the treatment and abuse that he got. There is no doubt in my mind that there is a better way to discipline than that. I think that beating someone is just about the lowest form of what is deemed 'discipline' there is. Any Nun or Priest should be held accountable by the law for any offense against God's precious ones such as these. Why would a Nun or a Priest do this? A possibility is that they are taking out their own frustration, anger, loneliness, and bitterness for living the life that they chose; clearly a sacrifice, living a celibate life, with no possibility of children, no companion to share life with, and the load that they must carry from their work. They are restricted from a lot in life by pursuing their positions. If they think that they are doing a good service by beating and abusing these children into submission, they are truly delusional and need help.

As far as do I think we need to re-incorporate corporal punishment back into our schools to deter them from a physical assault or punish them afterwards? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Let's not take a step backwards by re-instating something that we have learned is damaging policy. I don't think that corporal punishment is very effective. I think it makes children angry, very hurt, and doesn't teach them about making responsible choices. Here are some of the effects:

Corporal punishment erodes the youngster's basic trust, stimulates mistrust, anger, and resentment...undermines the teacher's ability to interpret a pupil's basic needs and to provide an environment of mutual trust conducive to learning... slows the development of a child's feeling of autonomy and produces some degree of shame and doubt...is demeaning, inhibits initiative, and stimulates in many children the development of shame, guilt, anger and the wish to retaliate. Others are uncovering data which show a direct relationship between severe corporal punishment in early childhood and delinquency later in the life cycle.   What Are the Effects of Corporal Punishment?
University of Alabama in Birmingham's School of Education

No, no. Corporal punishment is not the way to go. Now, my dad was a teacher for 32 years in an inner city public school, so I know all about teacher's needing to have rights to discipline and to protect themselves. I know of a teacher that has the student write a paper on what he/she did wrong, how it made the person(s) acted upon feel, and why they aren't going to do that thing again. I like this because it can make them think more about it. I know that there are situations, though, of things like assault or worse happening. Here is another website talking about the damaging effects of corporal punishment that I found:

...[we will] prohibit the use of corporal punishment or the infliction of bodily pain against students in all educational institutions which receive Federal educational funds. It is long past time that we outlawed this barbaric practice in the Nation's classrooms. This legislation is patterned after similar State and local laws which have banned corporal punishment in that it does not prevent teachers and school personnel from using reasonable physical restraint to protect themselves or others from injury, to obtain a weapon or dangerous object from a child, or to protect property from serious damage. The bill's definition of corporal punishment specifically excludes actions taken under these circumstances. What would be prohibited is the use of the infliction of physical pain as a means of punishment or discipline.
If you are an adult inmate in a Federal, State, or local correctional institution, you cannot be beaten or physically punished. It is against the law. If you are a patient at a public psychiatric hospital, you cannot be beaten or physically punished. It is against the law. If you are a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, you cannot be beaten or physically punished. If you are a teenager in a juvenile correctional institution, you cannot be beaten or physically punished. It is against the law.  Only if you are a child sitting in a classroom can you be beaten and physically punished. Incredibly, our schools today remain the only public institution in the United States in which battery and assault are legal, accepted forms of discipline.  OUTLAW CORPORAL PUNISHMENT, HON. MAJOR R. OWENS of New York IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES.  I would SO recommend going to this website.  It is full of information:

https://www.nospank.net/owens.htm

I'm sorry for that very long quote, but it illustrates my point exactly. Well, there is my argument against corporal punishment. There are other ways of disciplining that are just as effective as corporal punishment, and you can find them by searching on the internet.

Reconcile Edited: dawnofthenew on 17th Jan, 2005 - 7:59pm

Post Date: 21st Jan, 2005 - 7:21am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I did not grow up catholic but my parents did. My parents are evangelical christians who believe spare the rod, spoil the child. And they sure as heck didn't spare the rod with me! I never felt that I was abused, even to this day. There where time that I didn't deserve it, and looking back, sometimes it was not the best discipline to handle the situation. I have three kids. I occasionally spank them if they need it. But I leave out any type of discipline that punishes for the act of being a child. I used to get spanked for spilling milk, or dawdling in the parking lot, and "not listening" close enough. I avoid that, and discipline only for direct, understood disobedience. I don't always spank either, its not a default punishment. If I say to get off your bike and come in and they don't, the obvious recourse is to take the bike for a while. My parents had one punishment, spanking. The discipline should reflect to crime, so to speak.

29th Dec, 2012 - 2:43pm / Post ID: #

Religious Discipline Methods Abuse

Its torture to do that to any child of any age! What's more is calling themselves religious. Places like this should stick to their Sunday ceremonies and leave education to people who aren't going to hit the children.

Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Religious Discipline Methods And Abuse

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,