Wear Specs Forever! Eye Surgery vs Contacts vs Glasses - Page 2 of 5

Were not for cost I would have had Lasik surgery - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 21st May, 2006 - 5:24pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Why I do not just get lasik surgery and get rid of my specs once and for all - or is there an alternative?
9th Jul, 2004 - 9:33pm / Post ID: #

Wear Specs Forever! Eye Surgery vs Contacts vs Glasses - Page 2

I have a friend who has 2 kids, both of which has had either eye surgery or needs to wear glasses to prevent problems with depth perception and cross-eyed conditions. We're talking about a baby with glasses, and a 2-year old who had to wear an eye-patch for a month! I really feel for those kids. The mom wears glasses, but the dad doesnt. Do you think there is a genetic role being played here in both kids having problems with their eyes?

Sponsored Links:
9th Jul, 2004 - 10:21pm / Post ID: #

Glasses Contacts Surgery Eye Forever Specs Wear

I think the main reason lasic surgery isn't more popular is that it isn't yet covered by most insurance plans in the US. I think if it were, you would see many more have it done.

My father has had it done. He loves it. The only drawback is that he does often suffer dry eyes. A women at my office, same experience. A man I used to work for never mentioned dry eyes, but was extremely happy with the results. Before the surgery he needed to put glasses on just to get up to use the bathroom. Now, doesn't need them at all.

I also read there is a new procedure that helps reduce or eliminate the dryness as well. It uses a computer to determine exactly how to proceed on an individual's eyes.

10th Jul, 2004 - 9:48am / Post ID: #

Wear Specs Forever! Eye Surgery vs Contacts vs Glasses Health & Special Psychology

You can read about LASIK surgery, and why it might be different in results for different people, here:
https://www.mercola.com/2004/may/15/lasik_climate.htm

Dr. Mercola is one of those few conventional doctors who has an open mind on health issues (i.e. he is not in the pharmaceutical/conventional mindset but takes on board the the principles of natural health and nutrition too).

I've read a bit about natural methods of improving vision and "throwing away" your glasses. Most impressive material, pity I've never made the time or effort to get around to testing it out.

I do believe there are natural methods to correcting eyesight, and I think exercise and nutrition are the key.

Dubhdara.

10th Jul, 2004 - 10:29am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Glasses Contacts Surgery Eye Forever Specs Wear

From the same link as recommended above:

"Research has shown that LASIK surgeries done in July, August and September, the most humid months, required more future corrective surgeries compared to those performed in other months. A study analyzed the temperature and humidity throughout the two weeks prior to about 200 surgeries. Another component to the study included the humidity level inside the operating room during the surgeries."

laugh.gif Then for me, a person living in a Caribbean island where humidity is a constant 90% or more - I am in trouble. I have heard of a few cases where an individual did not need glasses after awhile, but I believe that is in cases where the muscles that control the lense needed stimulating. For cases of astigmatism, like what I have, no amount of exercise or natural intervention will change the shape of the eye to bring it into focus - hence something like Lasik is like a miracle. Unfortunately it is just too expensive. sad.gif

20th May, 2006 - 8:56am / Post ID: #

Glasses Contacts Surgery Eye Forever Specs Wear

I had LASIK four years ago. I love, love, love it. I had horrible vision before the surgery and was very dependent on my glasses. I couldn't wear contacts, because I had a dry eye condition. That was before the surgery. My eyes are still dry but it's liveable, and well worth it to be able to see again. The cost was $2000.00 for both eyes, which was really good back then. I think both the cost and the risk factor has gone down since then, at least here in the USA. I used my cafeteria plan which was somewhat helpful.

Do you think there is a genetic role being played here in both kids having problems with their eyes?
I do think that genetics play a part in eye problems. I've noticed that when one or both parents wear glasses there's a good chance the kids will too.

20th May, 2006 - 10:05pm / Post ID: #

Wear Specs Forever! Eye Surgery vs Contacts vs Glasses

Valla, you're lucky that you are in the US and that the cost of the surgery now is so much cheaper. Here in Trinidad is very expensive, my husband wants to have it done at some point of time, yet I am just kind of afraid since eyes are so delicate but I can understand the relief that I am sure most people feel after wearing glasses for so long!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st May, 2006 - 3:57pm / Post ID: #

Wear Specs Forever! Eye Surgery Contacts Glasses - Page 2

I've been wearing glasses since I was sixteen and I have come to the conclusion that I will be wearing them for the rest of my life. I've tried contacts, but I can't get them in. I have a fear of having things in my eye and freak out every time I try to put them in. That same fear will keep me from having the surgery since you are not put to sleep for the surgery. I can't be awake and have them work on my eyes.

I'm not for sure how much genetics played a role in my eye sight. Neither of my parents needed glasses to see far away and my sister has 20/20 vision. Now, my grandparents on my mother side both wear glasses and many of my family members on that side so maybe it skipped my mother and hit me instead.

I know that my picture maybe confusing given this post. The photographer made me remove my glasses for many of the wedding shots. The photographer was just a big blur to me. smile.gif

21st May, 2006 - 5:24pm / Post ID: #

Wear Specs Forever! Eye Surgery Contacts Glasses Psychology Special & Health - Page 2

Were not for cost I would have had Lasik surgery already. The cheapest I have ever seen it is $1000 for both eyes in Maryland three years ago. Getting $1000 in the US is easy and I was almost on the brink of getting it done when we had to come back here. The cost in Trinidad is $3000 - ridiculous to say the least.

Cwahsheh, besides genetics I understand that the condition of your feet also place a lot of strain on your eye (other parts of your body too). I do not know if it is related, but since one of my feet has a fallen arch it may or may not have been a contributing factor - do you have problem with your feet?

Lastly, you should get Bwren to learn how to put them in for you (contacts) or get a trained nurse / doctor to sit with you and go over it. Having contacts is such a weight lifted from your shoulder - give it a try.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Wear Specs Forever! Eye Surgery vs Contacts vs Glasses

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,