Zodiac Signs / Predictions

Zodiac Signs / Predictions - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 19th Dec, 2003 - 2:40am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
How does that fit in with LDS Doctrine?
18th Dec, 2003 - 3:11pm / Post ID: #

In another Thread we were comparing Pres. Monson's birth month to mine in the fact that were born in the same month, Then as an off topic I mentioned:

Are you ever surprised when another member born within the same month as you will compare that to the zodiac sign? For instance they will say, 'Oh that makes you a Leo then?'

Sponsored Links:
18th Dec, 2003 - 8:28pm / Post ID: #

Predictions Signs Zodiac

Are you ever surprised when another member born within the same month as you will compare that to the zodiac sign? For instance they will say, 'Oh that makes you a Leo then?'

laugh.gif yes, it happens to me quit often, specially with some Church leaders *giggles* I don't see the Church speaking too much against it, at least, I didn't know about it when I first joined the Church until some missionaries pointed it out to me, maybe we should speak more about it in the Church.

18th Dec, 2003 - 9:33pm / Post ID: #

Zodiac Signs / Predictions Studies Doctrine Mormon

O.K. so I don't get it. What's the big deal? I am a Gemini. I don't read my horoscope looking for how to live my life, but I am a Gemini whether or not I accept the truthfulness of the ability to tell what I might do because of it.

I don't think the zodiac signs are a bad thing in and of themselves, but that doesn't mean I should look to my horoscope for advice on how to live. It is the people who think they can tell me how I will behave because of what month I was born that are the problem, not the designation that if I am born in a certain month I am called a Gemini. At least in my opinion.

I would never go to a fortune teller or have my cards read, but what is wrong with calling myself a Gemini?

Now, along those same lines, do you think people born at certain times of the year (zodiac signs) have certain traits because of it? In other words, is it only a coincidence that I do have a lot of the traits normally associated with a Gemini or is it because I am a Gemini?

18th Dec, 2003 - 9:50pm / Post ID: #

Predictions Signs Zodiac

Tenaheff, your message surprised me to say the least, but then again I see where this thing is taken lightly in Church hence I threw in the question in the first place. You can see the error in being asked the question because of the response...

I am a Gemini.

You are?

18th Dec, 2003 - 9:55pm / Post ID: #

Predictions Signs Zodiac

O.K. So, I have fallen from my pedestal? cry.gif

Actually, I have never heard anything from the Church telling me that my zodiac sign was a bad thing. I have on occasion heard we shouldn't go to fortune tellers or have our cards read, and I agree. I also don't watch the shows on TV where the host claims to receive communication from spirits, but I have never been told my zodiac sign was bad. I agree I shouldn't be reading my horoscope for direction in my life, but that is not the same as saying I was born under that sign, is it? undecided.gif If it is, please tell me why because I really don't want to participate in something evil.

Now, you put the bold in your quote of my statement. Not me. I am just saying that according to the date of my birth, my zodiac sign is Gemini.

Can you give me references where I can read that my zodiac sign is a bad thing? I want to be educated, seriously. It just has never been taught in Church while I was in attendance.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 18th Dec, 2003 - 9:58pm

18th Dec, 2003 - 10:07pm / Post ID: #

Tenaheff, it was not meant to focus on you, but it shows the language that can be derived from using it in the first place. Without even considering it you say that you are something. Imagine that a custom said that if I am born in August that means I am of the category of people that will be poor. If I say it enough times I may just believe it, even my speech will change and I will say I am poor.

Another way members use it loosely is when they continue the conversation from the first post and say... 'They say that Leos have stronger hearts' then you might hear a few people agree.

There are many references to 'this sort of thing' in the scriptures without using the actual word astronamy.I donot have time to research, but here are some:

Isaiah

47:12 Stand now with thine enchantments, and with the multitude of thy
sorceries, wherein thou hast laboured from thy youth; if so be thou
shalt be able to profit, if so be thou mayest prevail.

47:13 Thou art wearied in the multitude of thy counsels. Let now the
astrologers, the stargazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up,
and save thee from these things that shall come upon thee.

47:14 Behold, they shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they
shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame: there shall
not be a coal to warm at, nor fire to sit before it.

Acts

8:9 But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the
same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving
out that himself was some great one: 8:10 To whom they all gave heed,
from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of
God.

8:11 And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had
bewitched them with sorceries.

Sorry, this all I have time for...

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Dec, 2003 - 10:15pm / Post ID: #

I see one of the scriptures that speaks of astrologers most of sorcerers. I agree we need to avoid those who hold themselves out to be able to predict the future. I am going to discuss this topic with some of my member friends for their perspective as well. You now have raised my curiosity. I just never gave a thought to zodiac signs before. Like I said, I know about the other areas that we should stay away from.

Another way members use it loosely is when they continue the conversation from the first post and say... 'They say that Leos have stronger hearts' then you might hear a few people agree.

I have been guilty of this myself. When I read what they say Gemini's should be I see I have those qualities. Of course, I am sure a lot of people not born between May 21 and June 20 also have them. I really need to give this some thought because I think I need a change of attitude about this.

Thanks for enlightening me!

19th Dec, 2003 - 2:40am / Post ID: #

Zodiac Signs / Predictions Mormon Doctrine Studies

When I read what they say Gemini's should be I see I have those qualities. Of course, I am sure a lot of people not born between May 21 and June 20 also have them.

Exactly!!! those who were not born in that date also have those qualities! after all there is not really a mystery how they go about the horoscope and personalities, we are all a bit good, a bit hardhead, a bit sensitive, etc etc etc. After all, if horoscopes are true two identical twins should have exactly the same personality and we know for a fact that is not true.

From 'Mormon Doctrine' by Bruce R. McConkie:

"...but real attempts to foretell the future and to delineate the destiny and fate of persons or groups by palmistry, phrenology, cards, tea leaves, horoscopes or any other astrological device, all these are contrary to revealed truth"

("Fortune Telling" page 298-299)

Links:

Great talk by James E. Talmage "My study of Astrology"
https://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Mag...strology%20.htm

Other great link:
https://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Mag...ke%20cancer.htm

And the last one:
https://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Mag...d%20answers.htm

Hope it helps wink.gif
Sol

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Zodiac Signs / Predictions

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,