Book: The Sons Of God

Book Sons God - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 2nd Nov, 2007 - 7:40am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (12) »
Fiction by Mousetrails
Post Date: 21st Oct, 2007 - 11:18am / Post ID: #

Book: The Sons of God

This Thread contains the Book written by Member Mousetrails called, 'The Sons of God'.

To REVIEW this Book please visit this Thread.

Sponsored Links:
22nd Oct, 2007 - 10:05pm / Post ID: #

God Sons Book

Long before I started writing Mousetrails I wrote a book of fiction about a character that lived 4000 years ago in Europe. I'm going to post it here a little at a time, or it will never be read. I don't have the $, or the energy to publish another book. If the number of "reads" shows well I'll keep posting. If not, I'll go back to what I was doing before. Let me see if I can "hook" you on the story.

THE SONS OF GOD

PILLAGE

The stick bent and snapped. The young man sat and searched for another within reach. Finding a replacement, he looked for a moment back up the trail, then continued idly, but deliberately, gouging the earth away from a small stone until it was free. He reached down, picked it up, and raised his hand behind his ear to throw it at nothing in particular.

"Onam." The voice was near and loud. "Onam! Where are you?"

The young man was startled back to the present. The stone fell unthrown. Onam knew by the tone of his father's voice what he wanted. He could hear his heart pounding in his ears, and his hands were suddenly wet with perspiration. His stomach knotted. He followed his first instinct. Run! He slipped through the trees at the back of the house, leaving the trail to run through knee-deep grass, dropped down the bank and crossed a stream. He was quickly hidden in the woods on the other side, but continued to run until his throat was dry. He had to
get away. He didn't want to go with his father.

"Onaaam!"

The voice was faint now, so he slowed to a fast walk. His father was still calling him but he wasn't about to answer. When he found the dense stand of trees he was looking for, he crawled deep between the lower branches, pulled some leaves in a pile, and lay quietly. His breathing was heavy and loud, so he pulled his sheepskin coat across his face to muffle the noise. Back in the direction of his house, he could hear excited shouts from his father's warriors as they assembled for a long march.

Time passed, and the warriors left the little village in silence, and peace came once more. High overhead a pair of hawks dove at each other in play, screaming as they passed. They spread shining brown wings to swoop up and catch a rising column of warm mid-morning air, then folded their wings to dive again. Onam listened to their screaming. He loved to watch this wild display, but stayed hidden until he was sure his father had left without him. Then he crept stiffly from his
hiding place, stretching his young restless muscles. Although he was sure his father was gone, he looked carefully about before starting down the path to the smooth grassy area where his father kept his pedal birds.

He loved these big birds and knew well the story of his grandfathers first flights above the earth. After years of trying, grandfather had finally copied the shape of a bird's wing and sailed above the earth. Since he had no control, his short flight from the top of a hill ended in a plunge through the roof of a house. The precious wings rested broken on the roof, and grandfather was hurt more by the frightened housewife than by his fall into her kitchen. Onam's father, Assefa, had spent his life modifying grandfather's wing into a bird with pedals and control surfaces that would go where he directed it. A child's toy windmill had been Assefa's inspiration to carve a wooden wind creator, giving the bird forward movement.

Onam's most memorable childhood thrill came when he was in his seventh summer. His father had allowed him to sit on the edge of the seat and pedal his first wind creator. By the time he was ten summers, his legs were strong enough to propel the bird up and down the grass path. At seventeen, he had developed leg muscles strong enough to pedal one into the air. He had been flying with his father ever since. It was the only thing they could do without arguing. Now as he
ran his hand gently along the tight animal bladder covering the wing, he considered flying away where his father couldn't find him. There were lots of valleys he could come-to-earth in, and fish and game were plentiful. He had considered this many times in this season of long warm days. Now he realized if he left, he wouldn't have time to build a shelter before the cold came.

After three day's march, Assefa found the sign he was looking for-- fishing boats pulled up on the sea shore. He turned his men back away from the boats and went inland to spend the night.

Assefa spoke softly, "Jebahar, where are you?"

"Over here Assefa." Jebahar shrugged a large bundle off his back and came to
Assefa's side.

"Go back to the boats and wade upstream. I want to know where the village is, and how big it is, and don't be seen."

Before the first light glowed in the east, Assefa led his men by the weak light of a new moon. They moved quietly up the creek to the rag marker Jebahar had left the night before, then climbed down the bank into the creek. Assefa climbed the opposite bank and peered over the edge. He couldn't see a village in the pre-dawn darkness, but he could smell wood smoke, so he returned to his men in the creek. The water was cold enough to cramp the muscles in his legs. His skin boots were soaked, but he ignored the cold to focus on the excitement ahead. He looked at the eastern sky and whispered,

"It will be light soon. Watch for my signal."

One-hundred-six warriors waited in the fog that hovered in a thin layer along the bottom of the creek. While they waited for first light, they shivered as they pulled their fur clothing close around their bodies to ward off the early morning cold. Some carried spears, but most had long swords and knives. All of them had a war club. When the first glow brightened the eastern sky, Assefa raised his sword. When the whispers stopped, he pointed it at the far bank, and a long line of men climbed quietly up to stand on dry ground. A dense morning mist drifted across the tall grass. All that could be seen across the meadow was the tops of the trees against the glow of a new day. Then a light breeze came off the mountain, and as the ocean mist began to thin, the warriors could make out roofs and chimneys and finally the walls and doors of a small village. The only visible sign of life was a wisp of chimney smoke rising above the trees. The hushed silence of the pre-dawn mist was shattered by a rooster crowing his announcement of a new day.

Assefa whispered again, "Bring the fire pot. When all the torches are lit, hold them high and move quickly. We have to surprise them."

24th Oct, 2007 - 7:00am / Post ID: #

Book: The Sons Of God Revealed Bible The

When the torches came up, most of the warriors ran toward the village. Some stayed behind to watch for villagers that might slip through the line of attacking men. The torch bearers ran from house to house kicking in doors and lighting the interiors. Assefa's warriors knew from long experience what to do. Each time a torch entered a house, two or three warriors used the light to search out and kill the grown men, women and male children.

"Samua, you"re getting careless. You just killed a girl! The woman's over there on the mat."

"Where's the man of this house?"

"Must not be one. Come on, the torch is already gone. Look out!"

In the half light of dawn a man entered the door screaming and swung his wood chopping axe at Sobab. Samua thrust his sword but he was too late. The axe had found its mark. The man died struggling to swing the axe again. Samua hurried through the doorway to join the others. In a very short time, every man, woman and male child in the village lay dead. At the end of the lane Assefa was giving short gruff orders.

"You men, search each house for gold. Don't forget to look in the bottom of their water jars, and pry any loose stones from the fireplace. Jebahar, Nepheg, round up the virgins. Samua, Sobab, where's Sobab?"

"A villager split his head."

"Samua, get Sobab's sword and shield for his oldest son, then collect the animals. Japhia, burn the house Sobab is in first, then burn everything. Nepheg, cut down any fruit trees, and destroy what crops we can't carry. Leave nothing for anyone to come back to. Now get busy. We have a long march home."

Leah was terrified. When she heard the door break in, followed by sounds of violence in the front room, she looked for a way to run, but the only door led to the violence. In desperation she crawled behind a stack of animal hides. Someone entered the room breathing heavily. Leah closed her eyes and covered her mouth with her hands to sob silently, afraid to breathe or make a noise. Then the heavy breathing got closer, and some of the hides were pulled away. Leah stifled a scream of terror. She could smell whoever took the hides, and she knew she was next, but the smelly man just took the hides and left the room. Leah closed her eyes again and wished her father would come and take her away to safety. Still she sobbed silently, afraid to breathe or make a noise. When she opened her eyes, the loud noises were gone. She lay still until the sounds of violence grew faint, then cautiously crept from her hiding place. She had but one thought. Run. Run home. But when she started through the opening to the front room, two men, one her uncle, lay in pools of blood on the floor between her and the outside door. She saw a shadow at the door and dove back behind the hides. It was quiet for a moment so she dared a peek. She could see a man in the front room taking the dead warrior's armor. As he left, he said to a warrior outside,

"Throw one in the back room, and one in the front."

Instead the warrior asked, "Don't you want those hides?"

Leah heard the man with the armor mutter something about having enough, and before she could move, a torch was thrown roaring into the room.

Assefa turned to see a young woman with red hair running for the trees. A warrior was just a few steps behind but losing ground.

"Jebahar! Nepheg! Don't let that beauty get away. Catch her!"

Jebahar was already moving to intercept the girl before she made the tree line. When his movement caught her eye she tripped and fell. Her pursuers were on top of her before she could get up. Each warrior took a hand to drag her back kicking and screaming in terror.

"No! I don't live here. I don't belong here. My parents will wonder what happened to me. Please, let me go!"

When the girl was brought back still kicking, Assefa looked her over with interest. "Good, a nice young one, and she has red hair. Put her with the others and tie them together starting with her."

All the young women were brought together in the center of the village. Pretty young eyes that should still be closed in sleep were wide with terror. Several warriors stood in a circle around the frightened girls while Jebehar and Nepheg lined them up single file. Nepheg reached in a pouch at his waist to pull out a long cord of rawhide. He and Jebahar began tying all of the girl's right hands together, starting with the small redhead.

"Where are you taking us?"

"Quiet!"

26th Oct, 2007 - 6:42am / Post ID: #

God Sons Book

"Please, my parents won't know..."

"Be quiet! You don't have parents anymore. You belong to Assefa. Now move. We have a long march ahead of us."

Leah's mind would not accept what was happening to her. She kept going back to yesterday as though going over the past would help her wake up from this nightmare. Early yesterday her father had walked with her through the woods to her cousin's village. She loved her fathers sister. Her cousin had asked a friend to come visit, and there was food and much laughter. The three girls had talked until her uncle said he had to go down to his boat early. The fireplace had burned to coals when she heard him leave, and then the door was broken in.
"Why? Who were these men? Everyone is dead. My father will think I'm dead."

Long after the first day on the trail, when everyone was asleep except the warriors
standing watch, Leah began to chew, thinking: It's only rawhide. I"ve chewed it before when I didn't have a knife. Hour after hour she chewed, but too soon it was light, and she was back on the trail. The second night her jaws and gums were sore, but she chewed until she was able to pull hard and break free. She raised her head slowly to see where the guards were, then began to crawl ever so slowly toward the darkness. As she crawled between an old fat warrior and a tree, he stopped snoring and rolled almost on top of her. She held her breath, but he didn't move anymore. When she decided he was still asleep, she began to crawl, but her hair caught on something. She reached slowly back to pull it free and felt a big rough hand wrap around her wrist. Two warriors tied her hands behind her, then tied her back in line with the rest of the girls. Next morning hope was gone. Her spirit was broken, and she stumbled along like the rest with a far away look in her eyes.

Onam's troubles started again when his father brought home the spoils of yet another raid. Gold, silver, hundreds of sheep, goats, some oxen, a herd of cattle and the virgins. He always brought home young women to use for trade and favors, and of course he kept a few for his own use. As he grew to manhood, Onam hid each time bounty was brought back to his village, because he knew the warriors had killed for it. But this time was different. Warriors were sent to find him and bring him before his father. But when the warriors returned with him, they stopped as soon as they saw Assefa.

Sobab's son stood before him with his head bowed. Behind him his mother stood with her hand on his shoulder, but although tears streamed down her face, she held herself proudly erect. She was receiving honors with her son because she was Sobab's first wife. The warriors formed a large half circle behind them, and each of the warriors carried his shield on his arm. Before Assefa started to speak, the warriors knelt on one knee and laid their swords on the ground, all of them pointing at the boy. One of the warriors pushed Onam down on one knee, then knelt beside him and placed his sword on the ground.

Assefa glared at Onam, hesitated for a moment, then started to speak.

"Your father was a good warrior. He practiced with these weapons, followed orders, and fought hard in battle. Take his sword and shield and learn to use them well and one day you will follow his footsteps."

A boy of eleven summers took his fathers sword, but because it was so heavy, his mother stepped forward to take the shield, then turned with her head still high, and led the boy away. When they were gone, the warriors all stood and handed Onam a whip and pushed him toward his father. Onam's mind was racing, trying to imagine what the whip was for. Assefa stood for a time searching Onam's face, then looked away. A moment later he looked straight into Onam's eyes.

"Where were you when we left? I told you we were going."

It did no good to tell his father he didn't like killing, so Onam stood holding a whip he had no use for and answered, "I was down with the pedal birds." Onam glanced around looking for a way to escape the wrath he knew was coming, but the warriors were all around him. Assefa's anger had been smoldering too long. His words were loud and sarcastic,

"You were hiding again!"

As he spoke, his face turned red and his eyes were squinted. Assefa stopped speaking, took a deep breath, and stood looking at Onam like he was trying to decide what to do with him. When he spoke again his voice changed, and he growled his words slowly through his heavy beard.

"Do you know what Sobab's wife just asked me? Of course you don't! She asked if my son had been there to help, would Sobab be dead now."

His chest heaved and he again got louder and angrier with each sentence. Assefa was shouting now.

"I will not be asked again where my son is when we take another village. You are the son of a warrior chief. You will learn my way, or be banished from the village."

He paused, then turned again to sarcasm.

"Now go with the men and learn to control something with more brains than sheep."

When Assefa turned to go, he muttered to no one in particular,

"Get him out of my sight."

28th Oct, 2007 - 4:36am / Post ID: #

God Sons Book

As Onam walked away, he dropped the whip, but one of the warriors picked it up and handed it back to him. He realized he had no choice but to go with the warriors to take the tired, dirty young girls to the river for a bath. These females had been brought from a village several day's march from here. They were too tired and afraid to be a problem. Everything these girls had ever known was destroyed. Most of them were in shock. There was no need for a whip today. Still, it was clear he had to carry it.

AWAKENING

As Onam cut the rawhide tying the girls hands, he began to notice how young some of them were. He had never thought about it before because he had only seen them from a distance.. They were just something that belonged to his father. A few were not as old as his sisters. It hurt him to see where the leather thongs had cut their wrists, and how cut and swollen their feet were. But the thing that made him hurt inside was the blank stare in their eyes. When they were all untied and standing together like a handful of lost sheep, an old warrior ordered them to drop their raiments on the bank and bathe. Most of them did so without
even a whimper of protest, but Onam noticed a girl close to him had not dropped her raiments or moved toward the water. He walked toward her, whip in hand, but when he came within touching distance he saw that although her eyes were open, they saw nothing. She was small and very young, little more than a child. Tears were slowly finding their way through the trail dust on her face. They dripped from her chin onto her long red hair which covered more of her upper body than her tattered raiments. One foot was bleeding and she slowly rubbed her right wrist, although a rawhide thong was still tied tight around her left. He took her wrist and cut away the thong wondering why both her hands had been tied.

Onam felt the same helpless pity he experienced when an animal was hurt, or orphaned by an arrow. He gently placed the handle of his whip under her chin and tilted her head back until she faced him. He looked into her eyes, and just as recognition of the present began to return, an old warrior gave her a rough push with the butt of his whip and she stumbled headfirst into the water. Her chin shook as she shivered in the cold water. She slowly pulled her raiments off, hung them on a limb and began to wash, but the far away look had returned. Onam wanted to go to her and took a step, but was stopped cold by one word from the old warrior.

"Don't"

The warrior studied Onam's face for a time before he spoke again.

"Haven't you felt enough of your fathers wrath for one day? You know if you"re seen touching one of Assefa's virgins while I"m in charge I could die the same death as you!"

Then his voice became menacing,

"Keep your distance while I"m in charge."

As they watched the women bathe, the warrior leaned against a tree. Onam sat on the bank in silence wondering how he could help the red haired one without getting caught. The warrior shattered his thoughts.

"We had to get the women clean today because your father will be picking the best five tomorrow for the festival."

It took a few moments for Onam to connect the warrior's statement with his thoughts. He froze with the realization that the girl he was hoping to help might be one of the five picked.

"When will the festival be?"

"In five days on the eve of the full moon."

Onam's heart sank. He knew his father only gave maidens to warriors or kept them for himself. If he had been different he could have asked for her, but he wasn't a warrior. His father didn't even like him because he wouldn't kill. He didn't have a chance, but he knew somehow he would take her before his father did. He had to see if he could bring light to those beautiful green eyes again.

The next day Onam watched from a distance when his father went to pick the best
maidens. They were all lined up before him clean, combed and robed. He walked slowly down the line touching one here and one there. When a maiden was touched she stepped back out of the line leaving the best in front. Each time his father approached the small one Onam wished with all his might she would be touched, but when Assefa stepped back to view his pick, she was in the front row.

Onam knew what lay in store for these girls. Tomorrow the warriors would be
allowed to eliminate the girl they thought was the least beautiful from the group.
The next day the women of the village were allowed in to eliminate the least beautiful of his fathers captives. The last day was a festival day. The three remaining candidates would be awakened early to be bathed and pampered. Flowers would be woven into their hair and again they would put on the long robes.

The festival always began at midday with much feasting and drink, and father watching every movement of each maiden for grace and poise. In the afternoon, he would make a long speech, going on and on, exaggerating the tenacity and skill of his chosen warrior, then bring the warrior up for everyone to admire. He usually gave some gold, silver, or a new sword as an additional prize. There would be much congratulating and drinking to the honor of the lucky warrior, until at twilight the festival began to break up. Each family would go their separate way
into the darkness, and Virgin Park would be quiet once more.

30th Oct, 2007 - 7:31am / Post ID: #

Things would not return to normal until some time in the small hours of the night when a group of the older women would rise, take father's final choice by the hand, and lead her to the waiting warrior's home. His new possession would be his for life. If she was the new possession of a young warrior, she was fortunate. If the warrior had seen many battles and possessed several women, she would soon be dominated by his favorite wife, with child, doing the hardest work and looking old before her time. Onam could not bear the thought of those beautiful eyes belonging to some old warrior. He was getting desperate, but he couldn't come up with an idea that would work.

Next day Onam was walking through the village talking with his father about flying when he had the feeling he was being watched. His eyes searched the lane. He saw no one looking his direction, but he felt something. There, in the park where father's women were kept, the small redhead's eyes were following him. He returned her gaze. She looked down for a moment, then continued to watch him intently.

"Have you heard a word I"ve said?"

"Yes, father, I'm listening. If I'm coming back to earth in a strange place I must know the direction of the wind. Watch how the wind moves the water or tall grass, or watch which way any dust might be blowing. I must always come-to-earth with the wind in my face."

As his father went on and on about how to come-to-earth safely, Onam's mind was on the girl. What was he going to do? He knew the first thing the old women had taught her was why young women were spared. By now she knew that to get caught touching a man meant sure death. Would she take that chance? Would he?

Just before sunset, Onam and his friend Geoff were bringing in wood for the cooking fires. Onam watched when he passed the park, and there she was, gazing intently at him. She was so young and beautiful, and the sadness in her eyes was haunting. Since she seemed to see him every time he passed, he wondered how intently she watched for him. Maybe she looked at all the boys like that. He told Geoff he would see him in the morning, took his wood in, then slipped back past the park several dwellings away, and came in sight of the park from the other side. Her head turned as if searching for something, and when she looked his direction, their eyes met. Onam looked quickly around to see if anyone was watching, then looked back at her. Her eyes and the expression on her face were pleading with him for something. He could stand it no longer. He felt pulled toward her as though he was being physically forced. Her green eyes followed him intently as he turned slightly and walked in her direction. He picked a tree several steps away and sat under its darkening cover. He leaned against the trunk with his face turned slightly away from her. After a few moments he stole short glances at her. She was clean and dressed in a long sleeved robe that hung to her ankles. Her hair was pulled back and tied so it hung down her back. He smiled, and to his surprise and delight she smiled back at him. He felt a slow warmth flood his whole body. No one had ever made him feel that way. Feelings in his body fought the rules imbedded in his mind since he was old enough to
understand.

Onam finally broke the silence and spoke quietly, "Why do you watch me?"

"I saw the kindness in your eyes. Can you talk to me without getting in trouble?"

Onam tried to remember all the rules. He answered, "I don't remember any rule forbidding it, but I've never seen anyone do it. It's just not done. Why do you want to talk to me?"

She answered, "I remembered the first day at the river when you weren't rough with me. I thought if I could get your attention, you might at least listen to my story."

Onam was surprised. "Your story? Do you have a different story than the other girls?" He could see the tears floating in the corners of her eyes, and she sobbed quietly fighting for control.

It was sometime before she answered, "Yes. That's what I've been wanting to tell
someone, anyone that would listen. The day the village was burned and almost everyone killed, I was visiting my cousin. Your father's men killed my aunt and her husband. I ran, but my cousin hid in the house and was burned alive. They caught me outside, and one warrior held me while two others tied my hand. My family's village is three days walk inland. I know they think I'm dead and I have no way to get word to them. Please help me escape. I know my father would give you anything he has if you help me. Please, oh please help me."

He answered truthfully so he would not raise her hopes. "If my father caught me helping you escape, he would kill us both. Every man in this village has orders to run a sword through any man caught helping a captive escape." He watched any hint of hope fade from her eyes, and she got that cold, far away look again. She looked so pitiful and helpless.

She spoke again, and her voice was so weak he could barely hear, "I don't want to be a warriors wife. I just want to go home. Please?"

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Nov, 2007 - 8:26am / Post ID: #

Book Sons God

He finally said, "Let me think about it. Maybe I can find a way." As soon as he saw the glimmer of hope come back to her eyes, he knew in his heart he had to try, but his mind was screaming , "I could get killed for this." Aloud he said, "I'll talk to you tomorrow." as he walked away not looking back.

It was time to eat, and as he walked across the village he could smell the wood smoke from the cooking fires. The smell of meat roasting on a fire always made it seem he was hungrier than he really was. Smoke hung in a layer just above the roof tops. The smoke and the clouds above `were turning pink from the setting sun. Children were being called in for the evening meal. Men were returning from their work in the fields, and birds were calling as they found their perches. He walked familiar paths between the dwellings toward home deep in thought. He needed to tell her how to find her way to the pedal birds without being seen. No, they would need to arrive together for as little delay around the birds as possible. Maybe he could just help her get outside the village and let her try the long walk alone, but then he would always wonder whether she got home safely. He realized he cared what happened to her. He had never felt this way about a girl. He felt nervous and happy at the same time, and he wasn't even sure why.

Next morning Onam's father told him to help move his cattle to another pasture. As he passed through the village, he went only a little out of his way to pass by the park. He really didn't think she would be out this early, but there she was right where he left her last night. She was watching him just like before, only this time she smiled. Onam wanted to run, laugh or yell, anything to let this new feeling out. But he had to hide everything except a faint half smile he hoped no one saw. Now he was afraid. He knew he had to be close to this beautiful creature to hear her voice and smell her hair. He wanted to look into her eyes and feel that slow
unexplainable excitement again and again. He knew he had to help her get away from his father and was very sure of the cost if he got caught. All day he formed plans and discarded them as useless. He had never had any interest in Virgin's Park before, so he knew very little about the rules the girls had to live by. He wondered how closely she was watched at night. Was there a time when the guard might not be very attentive?

Leah waited for a time to see if the young villager would return, then grew sleepy in the late morning sun and went inside to lie down. She fell into a fitful slumber and dreamed of the handsome young villager with the pretty dark eyes and broad shoulders. He smiled at her and took her hand to lead her away from this place. She felt happiness flood through her body.

"Leah. Leah. Wake up. It's time for the mid-day meal."

All the happiness was gone as soon as she opened her eyes. "I"m not hungry." She closed her eyes, but the dream would not return so she rose and went outside.

As Onam came back home he stopped a moment just out of sight watching her watch for him. As he moved into sight, she saw him and smiled. The sun was down. It was almost dark, so after a quick glance to see that no one was looking he smiled back at her. When the darkness hid them well, they took their places under two different trees looking away from each other. He spoke first. "I don't even know your name."

She answered softly, "Leah, what's yours?"

"Onam. How old are you?"

"Fifteen summers. I watched for you all day today. Where did you go?"

"I was moving cattle. How many women guard you at night?"

"Only two old women that live in the compound stay to watch at night, and sometimes they both fall asleep."

Onam wondered aloud, " Why don't the girls try to escape?"

"What good would it do them to escape? None of the girls have a home or family to return to except me. Onam, the warriors picked today."

Onam knew from the tone of her voice, but he asked anyway. "Are you one of the four?"

"Yes."

They fell silent for a while as he pondered this new information. He realized it had grown very dark and quiet. He could hear the footsteps of anyone approaching for a long distance. He took a careful look around, rose to his feet, then quietly walked the few steps between them and reached down to gently take her hands and pull her up. She rose to stand and face him. They were both shaking in fear of the unknown and the excitement of touching something forbidden. He pulled her gently to him and put his arms around her. Her body was warm and soft against
his. He could smell her hair and feel her soft face against his. He froze at the sound of footsteps close by. He should have heard them sooner. He whispered softly in Leah's ear, "Don't move!"

After the footsteps died away, they separated, shaken. He told her, "I"ll help you escape." Then he disappeared in the dark.

2nd Nov, 2007 - 7:40am / Post ID: #

Book Sons God The Bible Revealed

Onam lay awake long after his family was asleep. Somewhere in the village a rooster crowed. Then the laughter and lowered voices of men having a merry time drifted through the wall. He tossed and turned, unable to sleep. Maybe he could devise a plan if he took it one step at a time. Next day he watched the afternoon shadows grow long. Then when twilight had passed he went to the park.

Leah was waiting for him as usual. They listened several moments for anyone that might be nearby before he touched her hands, took them slowly in his, and drew
her to him. While they held each other close, his lips brushed her forehead, then he brought his right hand up to her chin tilting her bowed head back and gently kissed her mouth for the first time. She sighed and laid her head against his chest, pulling her arms tighter around his waist. He stood very still feeling the warmth of her body against his. Neither knew this part of their world existed before a few days ago, and now they knew it had to be like this forever for them to be happy.

"Onam, what are we going to do? The women picked today. Tomorrow they"re taking me to the festival."

After a few moments he told her his plan.

"Fly?" Leah asked. "You mean like a bird? How?"

"We"ve made pedal birds that help us to fly."

"I"ve never seen anything but birds fly. I don't believe you."

"You have to believe me. It's the only way I can think of to get you out of here."

"But fly! What if I fall?" Leah was too loud.

"Shh." Onam spoke just above a whisper. "Maybe you would rather live here as Assefa's captive the rest of your life?"

"It's the only way?" Leah whispered. She was quiet for a time, then asked, "Tomorrow night is the full moon?"

"It will be bright enough tonight to rise, and the sun will be up before we come-to-earth. You'll need to get charcoal from the fire and black your face. Do you have a dark sleeping cover?"

"Yes," Leah replied, " But why black my face?"

Onam explained about light colored moving objects attracting attention in moonlight, then touched her cheek with his hand, kissed her gently, and said, "Leah I'm not going to come back here again until it's time to go. Every time we see each other we're taking a chance, and I don't want anything to go wrong." Then he left, quietly walking in the deep black shadows of the trees.

Her lips still felt his kiss as her eyes followed him into the dark, and then he was gone.

Onam was too excited to sleep, so he kept going over and over his plan. He couldn't improve it. There just didn't seem to be a better way. Finally the moon came up bright and clear. He watched as it quickly rose, a large, almost complete, orange ball. He wished he could wait for a full moon, but this one would have to do. At first it just peeked through the trees. Then it floated higher and higher, and turned a bright white, until anything its light touched glowed and cast deep dark shadows. This was the night he had been waiting for. With care and luck he and Leah would be on their own when the sun chased this moon from the sky. He lay wide awake and thought about Leah's soft warm skin, and her hair that smelled so clean. As the moon floated slowly across the night sky, he dreamed of holding her close. He thought about her eyes and how soft her voice was when she said his name.

Finally when the shadows were short and the moon had traveled half way toward the western horizon, he rose, dressed and very quietly slipped out the door. She was waiting, wrapped in a dark mat cover, her face blackened with charcoal. She opened her arms and wrapped herself and the cover around him making one dark silhouette against the moonlit sky.

"Leah, we don't have time."

"A few moments won't matter. I want to hold you close again before we go."

Onam held her close for several moments, feeling again the warmth of her small body, then reached back and took her hands in his. "Leah, we have to be very careful. Stay in the shadows on the other side of the lane and a few dwellings behind me. Stay covered and be very quiet. If I stop to talk to anyone, remain
perfectly still in the shadows. If something happens to me to keep us from leaving, slip back to the park and on to your mat." Onam started down the path between the dwellings trying to look as though he were running an early morning errand for his father.

At the end of the first group of dwellings he angled toward the deep shadows and stopped to watch behind him for Leah. He waited and watched until he was beginning to get concerned, then saw her straight across from him. She had stayed too close to him, so he motioned for her to stay further behind. He moved on and occasionally glanced behind to make sure she was all right, but he never
saw her unless he stopped to watch for her. She appeared very dark, reflecting no moonlight at all, just as he had hoped. A dog barked and he froze in the dark shadow of a tree. He looked in the direction of the barking dog. He thought he saw a shadow move several dwellings away, but the longer he watched the less sure he was. After a few moments, the dog stopped barking. He found his nerve and started to move again.

Reconcile Edited: mousetrails on 2nd Nov, 2007 - 8:51am

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (12) »

> TOPIC: Book: The Sons Of God

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,