Noah's Ark

Noah' S Ark - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Mar, 2005 - 7:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
About the earth during this period.
21st Sep, 2004 - 2:51am / Post ID: #

Noah's Ark

Was the earth one big land mass during Noah's time? Why the question? Well if the entire earth was flooded and Noah had all the animals upon his ark (two by two), then when he let them out, how did the animals get to the Western Hemisphere, Australia, etc.? You may wish to discuss to what extent did Noah have every creature... does this include exotic animals and species, insects and unknown life forms that we have not yet discovered? How is it possible that vegetation can live within sea water for 40 days? Or was it fresh water? Could plants drown? Did the Lord sustain them? Your thoughts...

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 21st Sep, 2004 - 3:12am / Post ID: #

Noah's Ark
A Friend

Ark Noahs

That whole story always sounded funny to me. I like the discovery channels explanation. It was just part of the earth. In their area. And scholers of that time elaberated it, because they thought it had a good moral behind it. They said they probably used beer instead of water to drink. And they had a few animals on it. If you think about todays population count, the math doesnt add up. And that is a lot of inbreading. The whole story doesnt add up to me.

21st Sep, 2004 - 3:35am / Post ID: #

Noah's Ark Studies Doctrine Mormon

Killian, the only references we use here to explain things are Gospel based not Secular. Questions asked in the LDS Deep Doctrine section do not come about based on disbelief, but based on trying to understanding what was meant or in other words 'how to interpret it' based on the guidance of the Spirit, the scriptures and our Latter-Day Prophets.

Please read the README FIRST thread within this board for guidelines on posting within this board.

21st Sep, 2004 - 12:36pm / Post ID: #

Ark Noahs

I think that enough has been said about the Flood by Church leaders/scripture that we can pretty much take it as a global and not local one.

The continents were divided after the Flood (in the days of Peleg).

Even if the plants didn't survive, could not of their seeds? There are certainly many unaswered questions.

Dubhdara.

Post Date: 22nd Sep, 2004 - 6:49am / Post ID: #

Noah's Ark
A Friend

Ark Noahs

Yes my apology I brushed up on a little of church doctrine today. Or what little information I have on it. If the earth was flooded or baptised would it have been a sufficient baptism if the high places where just completely drenched with rain or would it have to be completely submerged under water like a person? Maybe it took 40 days for the water to reach the top of mountains. Perhaps this allowed other animals and people to survive in these areas if the flood on the mountain tops only lasted for a few hours before they started to recede. The other thought is that maybe noah wasn't the only righteous man on earth and god instructed many people all over the world (pangea) to do the same thing. I know that 3 races where represented by the son's wives. Perhaps righteous leaders where directed to caves where the opening went upward like an upside down bottle. These caves exist. Maybe these leaders or there civilizations couldn't even write so the story had to be passed down by mouth until it was distorted or forgotten. Or if they could write it was lost or put in the vatican. Otherwise you are looking at 40 days of swimming or divine intervention. From my limited understanding of god, he seems to want to test mans faith and endurance rather than do things himself. At any rate it was probably the most compelling story on earth at that time. And the only importance was that the earth was flooded and the noah had the strength and faith to not only build the ark, but to try and tell the locals. Now days he would be put in an institution. God comes down in all his power and tells noah to build a boat. Noah probably just thought it would be a lot easier for god to take him up for 40 days and put him back down. And he had to embarrass himself in front people he knew that didn't see noah's god. End result you have a faith promoting story. And an epic adventure that captures the imaginations of children and their interest in religion. Kids like animals and boats. Okra enough?

Offtopic but,
Are there any other truths out there?
If the earth was baptized that would mean it has a soul? If it has a soul. That means it goes along the lines of other peoples faith such as the american indians and the pagans belief. They just have the miss conception of worshiping it. If that is out of line then kick me off.

22nd Sep, 2004 - 9:50am / Post ID: #

Noah's Ark

Killian, very good, the thoughts of there being more than one 'Noah' is quite interesting and food for thought. It seems that we are given the view that everything living we now have comes from Noah's Ark save for the sea life which would have survived on their own.

Offtopic but,
As for your 'offtopic' - in a word - 'Yes', but there is a thread that deals with that called, 'Doctrine Earth's Life' - you can always search too for like subjects.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 22nd Mar, 2005 - 5:34pm / Post ID: #

Noah's Ark
A Friend

Noah's Ark

I was reading on another web site some info on the last days. The following quote was referring to the wicked being burned at the last day and whether this was to be a literal burning by fire, or if it was symbolic. Take note of the last sentence in the quote, from Joseph Fielding Smith. It seems he is saying it will not be literal fire, any more than it was literal water that covered the Earth at the time of the flood. This is the first I have ever heard a Prophet say this. Is he saying the flood was symbolic and not real water? Any thoughts?

from The second coming of Christ in glory is a day in which "every corruptible thing, both of man, or of the beasts of the field, or of the fowls of the heavens, or of the fish of the sea, that dwells upon all the face of the earth, shall be consumed; and also that of element shall melt with fervent heat; and all things shall become new, that my knowledge and glory may dwell upon all the earth" (D&C 101:25, D&C 101:24-25; cf. 133:41, 2 Peter 3:10). President Joseph Fielding Smith wrote: "Somebody said, 'Brother Smith, do you mean to say that it is going to be literal fire?' I said, 'Oh, no, it will not be literal fire any more than it was literal water that covered the earth in the flood.'"

https://www.ldslastdays.com/talk_comingqanda.htm#istheburning

22nd Mar, 2005 - 7:01pm / Post ID: #

Noah's Ark Mormon Doctrine Studies

'Oh, no, it will not be literal fire any more than it was literal water that covered the earth in the flood.'

Now that is interesting. So is Pres. Smith saying that the whole earth was not really covered by water? I was looking for a reference to where and when he said that but did not find any.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Noah's Ark

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,