The Media - Page 2 of 6

What else do you expect from our media today? - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 18th Jul, 2006 - 10:12am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Can they say anything they want without worrying about the effect?
Post Date: 12th Dec, 2004 - 2:48am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

The Media - Page 2

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
-- Theodore Roosevelt. "Citizenship in a Republic," Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

Sponsored Links:
2nd Feb, 2005 - 4:32am / Post ID: #

Media The

It turns out to be a GI Joe doll. However, the media was fooled initially by this picture of a captor threatening to be beheaded and reported the story as fast as they could. Is the media just getting sloppy with their attention to detail or do you think they really enjoy too much reporting this type of news? Perhaps you have another thought...please share.

https://apnews.myway.com/article/20050201/D87VU1582.html

Thanks for your thoughts,

Vincenzo

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

3rd Feb, 2005 - 2:00pm / Post ID: #

The Media History & Civil Business Politics

I find this hilarious!
https://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1403711,00.html
Insurgents say they are holding US soldier

The Guardian (in England) is reporting on this obvious hoax, as if it were real - two days after the rest of the world realized it was a hoax!

Personally, I thought the Guardian had lost their marbles a long time ago. But this is just too funny.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

3rd Feb, 2005 - 9:15pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Media The

I am not surprised, the media have been acting really crazy since the Iraq war started. rolleyes.gif but...as a journalist I understand the desesperation in being the first in getting the news. undecided.gif

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

4th Feb, 2005 - 1:10am / Post ID: #

Media The

In the US, they are still reporting it. I even saw a update on it this morning watching CNN. However, at the end of the report they mention the possible "mistake" and the resemblance to a action figure. They just wont admit that they were FOOLED, AGAIN. I am in Asia, so I guess I should understand the "saving face" stance.

Just a thought,

Vincenzo

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

5th Jul, 2006 - 10:22pm / Post ID: #

The Media

As most members of the forum probably know, I am not a fan of the "old" media in the US (nor much of anywhere else in the world).

But this report even shocked me.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/...her_the_ms.html
(I found this through a link from the Anchoress here.)

A disturbing anecdote from Col. McMaster illustrates why. His 3rd ACR broke the insurgents' hold of the city of Tal Afar last September in an operation which generated these effusive words of praise from the town's mayor:

"To the lion hearts who liberated our city from the grasp of terrorists who were beheading men, women and children in the streets...(you are) not only courageous men and women, but avenging angels sent by The God Himself to fight the evil of terrorism."

Time magazine had a reporter and a photographer embedded with the 3rd ACR. When the battle was over, they filed a lengthy story and nearly 100 photographs.

"When the issue came out, the guts had been edited out of the reporter's story and none of the photographs he submitted were used," said the admiral, quoting Col. McMaster. "When the reporter questioned why his story was eviscerated, his editors...responded that the story and pictures were 'too heroic.'"

The whole article shows how the media has consistently undermined US efforts, and how some of those attempts have been especially horrible. The most pernicious of those efforts was the Tet Offensive in Vietnam, where Walter Conkite single-handedly won the war for North Vietnam.

Great article. And, read the Anchoress' article too.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Jul, 2006 - 1:24am / Post ID: #

The Media - Page 2

The funny thing about this is during World War Two such heroic acts were published over and over to give confidence and hope to the populace, but now drama, death and folly is what sells. It is no longer about hope, but hopelessness. It is not unique to Iraq, but everything the news media covers across the globe. Even here in Trinidad you rarely will read, see or hear of anything 'good' anyone does.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 18th Jul, 2006 - 10:12am / Post ID: #

The Media
A Friend

The Media Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

What else do you expect from our media today? Our news, both good and bad, is boiled down to sound bites and 30 second snippets of information. Stories like election ballot scandals get constant news coverage but only 30 second snippets of what they find "acceptable" to tell us, over and over, with no real investigative coverage any more. In fact, this Dan Rather issue speaks to the heart of the matter. Mainstream news media no longer cares about the truth as much as it cares about ratings. Today, the war is unpopular. So what we see is a glazing over of anything related, good or bad. Major evidence against the war comes out and we can't get a clear picture on what was even found. How can we have two different views on very definite evidence that was reported on. Because it apparently was not big enough to get more than 30 second snippets of nerve gas shells being found. Good stuff happens, but since people are against the war, no one wants to hear that. But in part, this is our fault. Very few people really want to hear the truth about whats going on in the world and our nation. They really just want to be told what they are dying to hear. As a result, the news says what they what to hear so they can get ratings. Its really sad that mainstream media in a democracy/republic as ours cannot be trusted.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: The Media

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,