National Emergency?

National Emergency - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 23rd Sep, 2004 - 11:48am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Does your country define it or just abuse it?
23rd Sep, 2004 - 3:05am / Post ID: #

National Emergency?

A national emergency in most countries of the world, allows government to do things it would not normally have the power to do, such as with the taking away of some of your rights as one of the top powers they have during this period (freedom to travel, act, etc.). Does your government define clearly what constitutes a National Emergency? You may have thought that this is an Activism related thread, but really it is not since government itself has to act within the law, so is there a definition or law that states when you can call a National Emergency thus allowing government to temporarily other laws that may restrict the population's movement, etc.?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
23rd Sep, 2004 - 10:07am / Post ID: #

Emergency National

I don't believe that there is an actual definition of what an "emergency" is. I see governors of various states frequently declaring a "state of emergency" from such things as hurricanes, earthquakes, tornados, and floods, so that they can get money from the federal government. Among conspiracy theorists, there are always the claims that various power-hungry people are trying to engineer emergencies so that the government can go into a long-term "emergency mode".

I think that the nature of "emergency" for this purpose is whatever the government can convince the people is such a danger that they can use extra-legal powers.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

23rd Sep, 2004 - 11:48am / Post ID: #

National Emergency? History & Civil Business Politics

Over here in the UK the Government is trying to pass the Civil Contingencies Bill which has been equated by some (I might include myself) with the Enabling Act which first granted Hitler his emergency powers.

Emergencies are not defined in this Bill. Clearly, if emergencies are not defined the Government can do anything it jolly well likes by making pretences of emergencies.

I believe emergencies must be clear and present, they by their very nature are also of very short duration, and there should be a regular review as to whether or not to maintain the emergency.

Dubhdara.

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 100 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 10%

> TOPIC: National Emergency?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,