Combat Systems

Combat Systems - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 15th Jan, 2005 - 10:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Just as important in knowing a martial art, is knowing about your enemy's martial art.
Post Date: 30th Sep, 2004 - 11:59pm / Post ID: #

Combat Systems

There is a thread about Martial Arts as a sport in the Sports Board, but this thread discusses attack / defensive moves in actual combat.

Aikido : Martial art that seeks to resolve conflict through peaceful means.

Arnis/Escrima/Kali : The Filipino martial arts (FMA) emphasize learning weapons first--then empty-hand skills.

Bando : Includes striking, kicking, and grappling, with an emphasis on mimicing animal fighting methods.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu : Brazilian jiu-jitsu is a grappling martial art that emphasizes chokes and limb locks.

Capoeira : Brought to Brazil by African slaves, capoeira is a deceptive martial art disguised as dancing.

Cuong Nhu : The Vietnamese art of Cuong Nhu integrates techniques from karate, vovinam, boxing, wing chun, judo, aikido, and tai chi.

Gatka : Gatka is the martial art of the Sikh warrior, and is famous for its efficiency with the shaster (sword) and lathi (staff).

Hapkido : This Korean art mixes aikido's throws and locks with tae kwon do's kicks.

Iaido : Iaido is the art of drawing the Japanese sword and delivering a decisive cut.

Jeet Kune Do (JKD) : JKD is the martial art founded by Bruce Lee. JKD is one of the best-known hybrid martial arts, incorporating techniques from all martial arts.

Ju Jitsu : The "gentle" art of arm locks and chokes, once used to defeat armor-wearing samurai.

Judo : Judo involves throwing your opponent to the mat, pinning your opponent with a hold-down technique, or causing your opponent to submit with an armbar or a choke.

Kajukenbo : Kajukenbo originated in post WWII Honolulu, combining techniques from Korean karate (Ka), Jujitsu (ju), Kenpo (ken), and Chinese boxing (bo)--kung fu.

Karate : The "art of the empty-hand", karate involves kicking and punching as well as the use of weapons.

Kendo : Japanese fencing, derived from the legendary sword fighting schools of the samurai.

Kenpo : Kenpo took a circuituous route from the Shaolin Temple of China to the modern-day United States, picking up refinements and enhancements along the way.

Krav Maga : Krav Maga is the martial art of the Israeli military.

Kung Fu : The martial arts of China, and to many, the forerunner of all Asian martial arts.

Kyudo : Derived from samurai warfare, "Zen Archery" sharpens the mind and focuses the spirit.

Lua - Hawaiian Warrior Arts : Lua is the martial art of the Hawaiian warrior, and is known for fearsome bone breaking techniques.

Muay Thai : Muai thai kickboxing is renowned world-wide for brutal strikes with the elbows and knees. Definitely a serious combat art.

Naginata : Weapon art of choice for samurai women, it survives today in a sport form.

Ninjutsu : The martial art of the shadow warrior, ninjutsu is steeped in lore and mystery.

ROSS : ROSS is a system of Russian martial arts unifying various traditional fistfighting and wrestling styles with imperial military training.

SAMBO/SOMBO : SAMBO, aka SOMBO, is a Russian style of wrestling popular in international competitions, as well as a combat art taught to the Soviet military.

San Shou : San shou incorporates wushu, grappling, and kickboxing to make a combat-oriented martial art.

Savate : This French style of foot fighting began in the Napoleonic era.

Shorinji Kempo : Shorinji kempo extends Chinese boxing with Zen philosophy; at higher ranks, the uniform is the robes of a Buddhist priest.

Silat : Silat is considered one of the most effective combat arts.

Sumo : One of the forerunners to the modern grappling arts of jiu-jitsu and judo, sumo is exciting and action-packed while retaining its traditional splendor and ceremony.

Tae Kwon Do : Kick-oriented Korean "art of hand and foot fighting" is one of the most popular sports in the world. Styles include ITF and WTF.

Tai Chi Chuan : The martial art/exercise/cultivator of internal energy. Includes the Bagua (Pa Kua) and Xingyi (Hsing-I) internal styles.

Tang Soo Do : A Korean martial art popularized by Chuck Norris.

Tukong Moosul : Tukong moosul is a martial art derived from South Korean military Special Forces training.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Jan, 2005 - 10:41pm / Post ID: #

Combat Systems
A Friend

Systems Combat

Cool list ^.^ And I have one main thing to say: ahhhh Judo! As I remember my brother as he first got taller than my mom he made the mistake of saying that he could beat our mother and challenging her to a spar. It lasted perhaps 5 seconds before he found himself on the floor, though as it so happens, I was the one that couldn't get off the floor for a bit, while I lay there laughing my lungs out at him. Eh, perhaps this isn't intellectual, but it goes with the theme, a 5'3" woman can take down a 5'6" teenaged boy in 5 seconds flat with Judo XD.

> TOPIC: Combat Systems

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,