Mormons Don't Ask That

Mormons Don' T That - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 5th Dec, 2004 - 7:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
When you ask the wrong question or are too inquisitive
14th Oct, 2004 - 6:39pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Don't Ask That

I would like to bring up something that I feel we have touched on in many threads, but not specifically. That is... Learning or seeking after knowledge of what is the truth, regardless to if it has to do with the Gospel or not. Many today are afraid of the truth, they are afraid that they may be caught unaware or ignorant, yet others may actually have something hide. Personally I have found learning the truth and the process of learning the truth both enlightening and invigorating. I would like to touch on the following and your comments about it, it is a talk given by Boyd K. Packer. I have to wonder why he suggests that we should not tell everything. Is it because he thinks we will not be acurate or is it because the Church's history can make people loose their testimony? I also wonder why he said some things that are true are not very useful. Is it that he thinks we do not have time for just facts in a class room setting or is he saying that we have to stay within the 'guidelines' which is Sunday material? I ask that because facts can be useful for some and not others.

international QUOTE
"The Mantle Is Far, Far Greater Than the Intellect" - Boyd K. Packer

I have come to believe that it is the tendency for many members of the Church who spend a great deal of time in academic research to begin to judge the Church, its doctrine, organization, and leadership, present and past, by the principles of their own profession. Ofttimes this is done unwittingly, and some of it, perhaps, is not harmful.

It is an easy thing for a man with extensive academic training to measure the Church using the principles he has been taught in his professional training as his standard. In my mind it ought to be the other way around. A member of the Church ought always, particularly if he is pursuing extensive academic studies, to judge the professions of man against the revealed word of the Lord. Many disciplines are subject to this danger. Over the years I have seen many members of the Church lose their testimonies and yield their faith as the price for academic achievement. Many others have been sorely tested. 
Ref. Source 

Now the following is from an Anti site, but oit said to be part of the talk above, I am only mentioning that to ensure accuracy:

international QUOTE
"You seminary teachers and some of you institute and BYU men will be teaching the history of the Church this school year. This is an unparalleled opportunity in the lives of your students to increase their faith and testimony of the divinity of this work. Your objective should be that they will see the hand of the Lord in every hour and every moment of the Church from its beginning till now."

"Church history can be so interesting and so inspiring as to be a very powerful tool indeed for building faith. If not properly written or properly taught, it may be a faith destroyer."

"There is a temptation for the writer or the teacher of Church history to want to tell everything, whether it is worthy or faith promoting or not."

"Some things that are true are not very useful."

"That historian or scholar who delights in pointing out the weaknesses and frailties of present or past leaders destroys faith. A destroyer of faith - particularly one within the Church, and more particularly one who is employed specifically to build faith - places himself in great spiritual jeopardy. He is serving the wrong master, and unless he repents, he will not be among the faithful in the eternities. ... Do not spread disease germs!"
- Boyd K. Packer, "The Mantle is Far, Far Greater Than the Intellect", 1981, BYU Studies, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 259-271

How do you feel about the above?

Sponsored Links:
11th Nov, 2004 - 7:37pm / Post ID: #

That Dont Mormons

I pretty much agree with it.

You think there is never a time when the truth doesn't help, but it is still the truth? I will give you an example. You are married and your spouse dies. Now, you can never have that spouse again in this life. You move on in life, and you find another apouse. You love them, but it isn't quite the same as your first apouse. Does it serve any good purpose to point out to your current spouse that even though you love them, you loved your first spouse more? I don't think so. So, in theory, I believe there can be things that are the truth, but studying them really doesn't lead to any positive benefit.

Also, I think there are things you can delve into in your quest for truth and knowledge that will put your testimony in jeopardy. Satan knows what it is your are studying. He is quite cunning. He might twist some of it in your mind. You might lose your testimony before gaining the full truth...so during your quest, you come across something troubling. You don't yet have the full truth, but it bothers you. You end up dwelling on it. Before you can get the full truth Satan has already put doubts in your mind. You are now in danger.

As far as seminary students go, they are still very young and quite impressionable. Seems to me, they would be especially vulnerable to such an attack by Satan.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 11th Nov, 2004 - 7:49pm

12th Nov, 2004 - 1:33am / Post ID: #

Mormons Don't Ask That Studies Doctrine Mormon

I can definitely agree that searching too much CAN lead to problems. However, we have all taken that view so far that many of us won't go any further than what is taught in the Sunday School lesson manuals. The problem is, Joseph Smith clearly taught that it is our responsibility to seek after truth, in all forms, that only by so doing can we receive the greatest blessings.

The Prophet said several times that the Lord was just waiting for the members of the Church, individually or collectively, to prepare themselves, and they (we) were welcome to know just as much, or even more than, Joseph. Nowdays, we tell each other, "don't search out the mysteries - you will be led astray, and apostatize."

Well if that attitude is right, then I don't see any real difference between our church and others, such as the Community of Christ. This is exactly what they did. By choosing to disbelieve in the principles of plural marriage, temple ordinances, and baptism for the dead, they lost almost all the knowledge and testimony that they once had. For us, to disbelieve the teachings and principles of continually seeking after more light and knowledge, we choose to become stagnant, and never move upwards.

It is true, most seminary students aren't ready delve into the depths of the principles, history, and application of some doctrines. However, at the same time, we are not teaching them to learn how to do it properly. Instead, we warn them to avoid those things.

Joseph Fielding Smith was called as a missionary when he was 15 years old (the same as a 1st year seminary student). At that time, he had a marvelous testimony, and received direct revelations while on that mission. He had learned from his mother, from the Prophet (Brigham Young), and other friends of the family (Heber C. Kimball, Lorenzo Snow, John Taylor, etc.) that not only did he have the right to receive revelation, but the duty to do so, to expand his knowledge beyond where he then was.

So, I think we need to carefully evaluate, for ourselves, the many admonitions to not seek for further light and knowledge.

12th Nov, 2004 - 3:04am / Post ID: #

That Dont Mormons

Much of what I have read while seeking further light and knowledge could probably be seen as "marginally true." There is so much out there that is cleverly veiled Anti-Mormon propaganda that we have to be really careful, and make sure that we are in tune with the Spirit so that we can seek confirmation of truth.

As a for instance, there was a person who joined here not long ago that ranted and raved about a seer stone in a hat. Was it truth? Maybe. Was it useful? Not particularly. A faith destroyer? If he was telling the truth about his own situation, then, yes, it was; look where it led him.

Some folks with maybe a not-so-strong testimony, and new converts, should probably steer clear of the mysteries and some of the harder truths from the history of the Church. And as Bro. Packer pointed out, those who look at the Church from the angle of the world rather than from the viewpoint of God will find fault and judge the church.

I think it's clear from the scriptures and from our early church leaders that we must seek for truth, we must expand our minds, and explore the mysteries in the scriptures that are given to us from God and also other sources (such as the Nag Hammadi, etc), and specifically to seek personal revelation about these things.

In my own experience, academics have only strengthened my testimony -- particulary studying biology and physiology. The more I learn of the world and how it works, the more I see God's hand in it. The more I study the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the more I attend the temple, the more I see the truthfulness of it and how fortunate I am to be born in this dispensation.

Roz

12th Nov, 2004 - 1:06pm / Post ID: #

That Dont Mormons

Is there such a thing as 'searching too much'?. I do not think so. As it was mentioned before, the early leaders have counseled us to search for the mysteries of God but now they are telling us to stick with the basics. Although I agree that Church meetings on Sundays should not be a place to discuss these mysteries of God but to stick with the basics, I think personal study about it is extremely important, at least, to me.
Regards to the statement that some truths are not very useful, I do not fully understand the concept behind this statement. Truth is truth whether is useful or not does not matter, but it is important to know all truths even those that are minimal because when we are faced in a circumnstance when we have to defend the Church and we do not know its history for instance and the person making the attack know more than us, we will look like fools. Just like the example of the guy Farseer mentioned about the seer stone hat, for me it doesn't not make a difference, in this case, the truth is partially not useful but it is also useful because if I did not know that as a fact then I would totally dismiss his statement and call him an anti-mormon and think that's all anti-mormon propaganda. I'm not even going to mention his intentions, I'm just talking about the issue as an example. I do agree we need to be very careful with the kind of information we read and from what sources but at the same time we need to be careful to not dismiss any information that seem contradictory or controversial just because it does not portrait the Church in a good light.

5th Dec, 2004 - 6:13am / Post ID: #

Mormons Don't Ask That

Perhaps the problem is not searching too much, but not comprehending the answers. Mysteries of the Kingdom are simply things which are not given to all the world to know. To have a testimony by the Spirit that Joseph Smith is a true prophet is to have one of the mysteries of eternity revealed.

Some members will not study or teach a doctrine unless it is obscure, trivial, or on the margins of true doctrine. I would liken this to someone teaching an art appreciation class by showing slides of only the top left corner of thousands of famous works. He may be sharing accurate information about those corners, but they have very little to do with the content of the masterpieces themselves.

If we are truly living our best by the principles we have received, the Lord will reveal more truth individually, for one's personal use. But information beyond standard Church doctrine and scriptures is not meant to be taught at all, but to be understood, cherished, and applied by the one who receives it by the Holy Ghost.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
5th Dec, 2004 - 6:33am / Post ID: #

Mormons Don't That

Perhaps the problem is not searching too much, but not comprehending the answers....teaching an art appreciation class by showing slides of only the top left corner of thousands of famous works.....accurate information about those corners, but they have very little to do with the content

Excellent analogy, and great points. One paper that I read recently said the same thing about learning some of the mysteries -- we may not be ready to receive them at that point in our spiritual progression, and, therefore, not understand them. But at the same time, now we are responsible for the knowledge we've gained.

I also believe the "top left corner" is a tactic the Anti-Mormon folks use -- and quite effectively -- to lead people astray.

5th Dec, 2004 - 7:00pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Don't That Mormon Doctrine Studies

Howe, I agree with most of what you have said...I just have a question:

But information beyond standard Church doctrine and scriptures is not meant to be taught at all

In whose eyes?

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mormons Don't Ask That

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,