The Need For Swearing? - Page 4 of 6

@JB: Wanna bet? Used to work at FedEx. If - Page 4 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 30th Dec, 2006 - 3:23am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

?
Poll: How often do you swear using really bad words?
  Every hour on the hour       9.52%
  At least once a day       14.29%
  Once a week       9.52%
  In a blue moon       23.81%
  Never!       42.86%
Total Votes: 21
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Or is it that your vocab is on the low?
29th Dec, 2006 - 1:59am / Post ID: #

The Need For Swearing? - Page 4

it is your opinion that someone far more capable than the average person in metal capacity is considered not very smart if that person swears.

Errr..you have an interesting concept about people who have Phds spock.gif Anyhow, yes I don't think they are very smart in my personal opinion if they feel they have the need to swear.

That really doesn't make sense. How someone talks is mostly influenced by their upbringing and the environment they were raised in.

Hmmm...your point is? It does makes sense. Someone can be influenced by their upbringing and environment yet he/she can chooseto swear or not. I am the living example of that. I was brought up with one of my relatives constantly swearing, did I end up swearing? No. Now, I am not saying it did not have any impact on me, but I did choose to NOT do it. In the case of someone who you profess a "far more capable than the average person in mental capacity" should be much easier, but if the person chooses NOT to do it, then I do not consider them very smart for the simple fact that they can actually do something about it but they choose not to. Someone who feels an absolute need to swear to express any type of emotion, is not only not very smart but have self-control issues.

This is just to explain the erroneous concept you have that just because someone has a Phd and swears, is somehow acceptable and considered "intelligent", maybe just your opinion, but not mine. I could never feel impressed by any person with such high level of education using bad words, such a turn off.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 29th Dec, 2006 - 2:49am / Post ID: #

The Need For Swearing?
A Friend

Swearing Need The

By the environment someone was raised in I do not mean having a relative the swears, I mean the overall environment. If you are brought up in an environment where most of the people you interact with swear, it becomes a common word and part of your regular vocabulary.
I just think that one's intelligence should be judged by what hey do with it rather than how they talk. Would you judge someone's intelligence by their accent? I would hope not, otherwise you will often find yourself unpleasantly surprised. One of the professors that swears, that you would not consider intelligent, worked with NASA's R&D department before becoming a professor. He is more able than any engineer I have ever met and well respected within the engineering community. You would consider him dumb for swearing?

29th Dec, 2006 - 2:56am / Post ID: #

The Need For Swearing? UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

If you are brought up in an environment where most of the people you interact with swear, it becomes a common word and part of your regular vocabulary.

I mentioned my relative because I was brought up and raised by him, yet I do not swear.

One of the professors that swears, that you would not consider intelligent, worked with NASA's R&D department before becoming a professor. He is more able than any engineer I have ever met and well respected within the engineering community. You would consider him dumb for swearing?

There is a difference between being "intelligent" and being "smart". He may be somewhat "intelligent" but NOT smart (in my opinion) when he decides to use that type of vocabulary to express himself. (He can be the President of the United States of America or have 500 Phds, it does not change a thing).

29th Dec, 2006 - 3:05am / Post ID: #

Page 4 Swearing Need The

I believe Dextral is also mixing up the difference between Wisdom and Intelligence (covered more extensively in another Thread) wherein intelligence indicates that you may know the meaning of many words and wisdom shows you know how to use them.

It is the same reason you do not swear (use degrading words) in court, in front of the judge, officer of the law, and so forth - intelligent or not - it is a wise person that knows that they have no place in an environment of justice or should I say respect! In my country you can be arrested for using such language, because you are considered to be degrading society / law. When such language is used around me I consider myself not respected by the one who uses it flippantly. It tells me something about them, because of their choice of words.

If such language is okay, then why do we not use them in front of children - it is because there is something about it that is unpleasant, and those who condone their use is the SAME as those who drink and smoke, but tell children not to do it, because it is not good for you - in my opinion.

By the way, the use of a professor as a reason to uphold swearing is such a weak argument, since professors condone many things that I do not agree with, and having a PhD does not make you a morale powerhouse.

Post Date: 29th Dec, 2006 - 2:28pm / Post ID: #

The Need For Swearing?
A Friend

Swearing Need The

The statement I meant to address by LDS_Forever addressed not morality, but intelligence. It doesn't overmuch matter whether the professor in question is a beacon of moral behavior. Simply put, this guy who you say isn't 'smart' has had a hand in putting things into space. But I'm going to agree with JB insofar as the word you're looking for is not 'smart', but 'wise'.

As for the possibility of being arrested in your country for cursing, JB, all I have to say to that is, God bless freedom of speech. It's important enough to us Americans that it was the first amendment on our Bill of Rights.

29th Dec, 2006 - 2:32pm / Post ID: #

The Need For Swearing?

Dextral, you need to study US law better, and see if you can go into established places of law (court house) or speak that way to a police officer and even be rude let alone start to use swear words flippantly. Why not take it a notch further, and speak that way to your parents, your boss and so forth, but you won't will you, because there are consequences, consequences that dismisses your pointless rants about your professor.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Dec, 2006 - 7:08pm / Post ID: #

The Need Swearing - Page 4

international QUOTE
But I'm going to agree with JB insofar as the word you're looking for is not 'smart', but 'wise'.

It seems like you do not differentiate between the word "Intelligent" And the word "Smart". Let me try it one more time. Your professor, as an example maybe well "Educated" And "Intelligent" About his field of study and work, nevertheless, he is not very smart when he decides to swear in front of his students in a place like a University. Being smart has a strong connection with common sense hence his degrees, his work at Nasa, his Phd, his "Intelligence" Does not make him smart when he decides to use obscene language in front of those who look up to him. I repeat, he may be "Intelligent" "Educated" But NOT very smart, he lacks common sense.

international QUOTE
God bless freedom of speech. It's important enough to us Americans that it was the first amendment on our Bill of Rights.

Well, I could have NOT expected another answer, based on this answer of yours:

international QUOTE
Personally I swear like if I do it enough, someone will pay me.

spock.gif

Post Date: 30th Dec, 2006 - 3:23am / Post ID: #

The Need For Swearing?
A Friend

The Need Swearing Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 4

@JB: Wanna bet? Used to work at FedEx. If you don't swear at your boss you're a saint, and I'm not (though I do want to be a Boondock Saint). (Google if you don't get the reference.) Additionally, the cops I know swear as much as I do, if not more. One cannot get arrested for swearing. Telling someone to 'go to ' is constitutionally protected.

@LDS: Hmm...you and I are still on a different page here. In the US, 'smart' and 'intelligent' do typically mean the same thing. Wisdom relates to common sense, experience, so forth and so on. And really, neither of them have anything to do with social courtesy.

To illustrate this point, let's take an example: the average infantry NCO. Let's say you get an E-6 or an E-7. These guys have been there, done that. One NCO I knew kept the helmet he was wearing when he got shot in the head over in Iraq. Odd guy. On the average, these guys know just about anything you'll want to know about squad-level tactics, weapons, weapons usage - to the point of being able to list off the effective point range, area range, rapid and sustained cyclic rate of pretty much every weapon the US Army has in its inventory in their sleep - army regulations, so forth and so on. If it exists, these guys know about it. Common sense is one thing the average NCO has in abundance. These are the guys who really make things happen in the Army. Do you think they don't swear? Please, try to tell me you think that with a straight face. Not to mock you or anything, just trying to make a point here.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: The Need For Swearing?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,