The Need For Swearing? - Page 5 of 6

Marley, those who may consider you less cool - Page 5 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 7th Mar, 2009 - 11:59am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

?
Poll: How often do you swear using really bad words?
  Every hour on the hour       9.52%
  At least once a day       14.29%
  Once a week       9.52%
  In a blue moon       23.81%
  Never!       42.86%
Total Votes: 21
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Or is it that your vocab is on the low?
30th Dec, 2006 - 3:33am / Post ID: #

The Need For Swearing? - Page 5

Dextral, you are good at evading the meat at the matter and repeating yourself, but I will not let you off the hook so easy. The points I brought up should be read in the proper context and not associated with assumptions as a for instance 'cops you know, etc'. My reference to the law in my country was to show how some consider it serious enough to land you in jail. You also avoided why such words cannot be used in general circumstances.

Sponsored Links:
30th Dec, 2006 - 3:46am / Post ID: #

Swearing Need The

international QUOTE
To illustrate this point, let's take an example: the average infantry NCO. Let's say you get an E-6 or an E-7. These guys have been there, done that. One NCO I knew kept the helmet he was wearing when he got shot in the head over in Iraq. Odd guy. On the average, these guys know just about anything you'll want to know about squad-level tactics, weapons, weapons usage - to the point of being able to list off the effective point range, area range, rapid and sustained cyclic rate of pretty much every weapon the US Army has in its inventory in their sleep - army regulations, so forth and so on. If it exists, these guys know about it. Common sense is one thing the average NCO has in abundance. These are the guys who really make things happen in the Army. Do you think they don't swear? Please, try to tell me you think that with a straight face. Not to mock you or anything, just trying to make a point here.

Are you seriously given this example to take in consideration? You are talking about people who fight in wars, who probably have not seen a proper toilet for a good while or haven't taken a shower for weeks...errr...sorry, I don't think they will be concerned whether they swear or not or why they do it. spock.gif

If you are really serious, tell me if you can go ahead and swear to a police officer, a Judge or even Pres. Bush or ...what is stopping you right now from swearing to me? Oh, yeah, you will get banned right? *wink* Consequences my friend, consequences and a LOT of common sense.

Post Date: 30th Dec, 2006 - 12:10pm / Post ID: #

The Need For Swearing?
A Friend

The Need For Swearing? UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Actually, JB, I didn't avoid it. Where you say one can be arrested in your country for swearing in public, I replied by saying that it's not so over here. As for why it can't be used in general circumstances, well, I do use them in general circumstances every day of my life. One can swear at the cops with no punishment. The worst that will happen to one who swears at a judge is a warning that if they do it again, they'll be found in contempt of court, which is generally a slap on the wrist-style fine. I can, and do, use such words in general settings.

You're right, I wouldn't swear on these boards because even words which aren't explicitly foul language are moderated out. I do on most boards. I swear like a sailor on my alliance Ogame boards.

LDS, in a garrison setting they do. I don't know how they do things where you're from, ignorant li'l 'murkin that I am, but believe you me, Fort Benning does indeed have proper indoor plumbing.

30th Dec, 2006 - 4:46pm / Post ID: #

Page 5 Swearing Need The

Dextral, if you are going to reply, then push the Discussion forward. The original question posed by Neo and your defense of using it are two different things. We are not talking about the freedom of speech, we are talking about the possibility of using other words to express yourself. The reason you will have harsh treatment delt to you as a consequence of swearing is because there are MANY other words that can be chosen - choosing to swear is where you are basically saying "I do not care".

Now I can insult a person terribly without swearing, but it will be done in such a 'clean' (executed) and thoughtful way that the person may find themselves praised rather than insulted. The one who chooses swearing limits himself to a few selected words repeated over and over - in my opinion a show of ignorance in itself even if the words were not of the degrading variety.

I have lived in the US and elsewhere in the world, I am well aware of what can be done. Careful reading of what I said earlier should clarify my point, so far you have made no points of interest in your rants save for "I swear because I can", and may I say that it does not sound very "smart" as to the earlier messages of smart or being smart as the case may be.

QUOTE (Dextral)
I can, and do, use such words in general settings.

You make it sound like you have obligated yourself to do so. Like most alcoholics who say "I drink, because I can". Sure you can, but it makes you none the wiser. I challenge you to use any other words during a fit of anger and see how you feel about it, see if you can actually control yourself enough to do so as I often find that those who use degrading language often have a lack of self-mastery.

Of course you will not swear here, because you want something, perhaps to participate, perhaps to play RPGs, etc. If you did not care you would probably have let loose some swear words already and then wait for your account and Posts to be deleted. This once again proves my point. One can well express themselves without the use of degrading language, because like drugs their use have certain consequences that are unpleasant. They may seem at the time to have a remote pleasure, but all around you many are judging, many are seeing that you are something by what you say.

Perhaps, you may never get that, perhaps you may never see it, perhaps you will come again and repeat yourself, but such is the concepts of those who do not see beyond their space.

Post Date: 31st Dec, 2006 - 3:40pm / Post ID: #

The Need For Swearing?
A Friend

Swearing Need The

Swearing is quite commonplace at my job..it is an accepted form of communication. Younger people incorporate swearing into their conversation - it is how they speak to one another. Yes there are other words that can be used - but you use them with your peers and they laugh at you - your language is based on the people you are with. Swearing has become an art - check out movies like Pulp Fiction. People are getting creative in their swearing. So like it or not swearing is just another form of communication

31st Dec, 2006 - 8:14pm / Post ID: #

The Need For Swearing?

QUOTE (Raya)
...your language is based on the people you are with.

That means you surrender individuality in communication to others because they communicate that way? It sounds like a fad, a cult, a teeny bopper thing to do. If I come across someone conversing with me and they are swearing then I do one of two things:

1. Remove myself from the vicinity
2. Ask them kindly to speak to me as though I am human

Swearing has become an art - check out movies like Pulp Fiction.

The art of what - stupidity? How can repeating the same word over and over during conversation be an art. I believe some people use it to demand attention because they cannot find a better way to express themselves. It takes too much to think of descriptive words so they use the same word for everything - far from an art.

So like it or not swearing is just another form of communication

Yes? A lower, gutter form. Just as there are social classes (high, middle, low) we can see swearing as of the gutter variety. The fact is there is NO NEED for it as the subject of this Thread is pointing towards, so far all arguments for swearing have little to no substance as to why it should be a need.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 7th Mar, 2009 - 3:31am / Post ID: #

The Need Swearing - Page 5

Name: Marley

Comments: I'm still in school and me and my friends would like to ask you guys a question: does swearing give off unintelligent, why do people consider you less cool the less you swear? And is swearing only unintelligent when its used a lot? And is it alright to swear but not regularly? Me and my friends are starting a non swearing thing... But we have to bet to keeps us enthusiastic.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please take the time to write a proper message.

7th Mar, 2009 - 11:59am / Post ID: #

The Need Swearing Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 5

Marley, those who may consider you less cool the less you swear are those who obviously swear a lot themselves. This is mostly within teenagers who go through a face of rebellion and search for their own personality so swearing is part of it, makes them feel they are "different" than the rest. Rest assured that it becomes a nasty habit, very hard to break once you get so used to it. Believe me or not, the years pass quickly and when you least expected you won't be a teenager anymore and will be dealing with an adult world, a workplace and so on and these habits will be frown upon.

It is refreshing to read you and your friends are doing something about it. Not because it will make you less or more cool but because I truly believe will help you in the future, after all who does get stuck at 15, 16 or 17 forever? wink.gif

Good luck!

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: The Need For Swearing?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,