W I C

W C - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 3rd Nov, 2004 - 1:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Women, Infants & Children
Post Date: 15th Oct, 2004 - 10:43pm / Post ID: #

W I C

The WIC system in the United States allows mothers, new borns and children under five to receive certain food products paid for at the expense of the State if they are likely to be lacking in nutrition. This determination is made by a nurse during a simple physical. Are you for or against it?

Sponsored Links:
16th Oct, 2004 - 12:54am / Post ID: #

C W

I am torn on this issue. It used to be that most of the food that was distributed was surplus. However, even then, it was using tax money taken from other people to purchase the food. Now, it isn't even surplus food. People are given vouchers, similar to food stamps, used to purchase basic commodities. Again, all using tax money taken from other people.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

16th Oct, 2004 - 2:10am / Post ID: #

W I C History & Civil Business Politics

I understand what you feel Nighthawk because I feel the same way. My problem with it is that I feel it is abused. I can understand when people have a hard time providing for their family, especially young child. However, you will see people who use this service with 2, 3 even 4 children, all under the age of 5. I can understand when someone has a child when the intention was not there. What I cant understand is when that same person has 2,3 more kids. I think this is wrong, and I think it is done because they know the system is there for them to use and abuse. That is where I have a hard time believing in the system.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

Post Date: 16th Oct, 2004 - 6:11am / Post ID: #

W I C
A Friend

C W

When my girlfriend went on WIC it was nearly 30 years ago and she was given a *check* like voucher. She could only use it at certain grocery stores and there were items written on the back that she had to get. Each week she and the babies went to the WIC office and saw the Dr. Then she went in with the nutritionist and made up the *check* voucher. They went over the store ads and selected foods: Fresh vegetables, milk, cheese, cereals, fresh fruits, eggs, formula for the baby, staples needed to make nutritious meals ( flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, vanilla, pasta, etc.)

Then she went to the stores and bought what was on each *check* voucher. The cashier would check each item off the back as it was rung up, then enter the $Dollar$ amount on the face of the voucher. She shopped at three stores, thus she got three vouchers.

At the time her husband was only bringing home $400.00 a month, their rent was $300.00 and her parents were paying for the car insurance and gas for the car. As soon as she could she got a At Home job and went off of WIC. But it was a lifesafer for the kids and for her.

When I was a cashier in Oregon, I saw WIC being abused constantly. I also saw children get food who would have gone hungry without it. It has changed over the years, now all they can get is non-sugar coated cereal, milk (cow's, canned goat, Soy Milk, or Lactaid), eggs, cheese, juice, peanut butter, dried peas, beans or lugumes, carrots (fresh or canned), baby formula, and baby cereal. The only cereal that is approved are the ones that are fortified with iron. So that leaves out Oatmeal!

I think that WIC is preferrable over food stamps.

Reconcile Edited: AGene on 16th Oct, 2004 - 6:14am

3rd Nov, 2004 - 8:01am / Post ID: #

C W

I was briefly the recipient of the WIC program when my daughter was just a baby. I had a hard time finding a job after the baby was born (and finding a babysitter who would take a nursing infant), and the WIC program was a life-saver.

If it's not abused, it's a good program for people in need. There is a definite limit (kids under 5), and it's a set amount for set items that have good nutritional value -- unlike food stamps, where the coupons can be used for everything consumable, including candy and soda.

In my case, as soon as I found a job, I removed myself from the program. I know other people don't do that, and will take as much as they can get away with. Every program for welfare has the potential for such abuse, unfortunately.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

3rd Nov, 2004 - 1:01pm / Post ID: #

W I C

I should have made myself a little clearer. After getting out of the USAF, with 4 children, I wasn't able to find a "good" job. I worked as a computer service technician, then a computer salesman in a very small computer store in northern Minnesota. We were on food stamps, WIC, and public health care for some time. About three years later, I found myself unemployed, then working two or three part time jobs.

Eventually, I went back to school. By this time, we had six children. So, we were on all these programs again.

WIC was a very good program. It allowed us to get milk, eggs, good cereals, juices, etc. We didn't live "high on the hog", but we got by. All that time, I always worked at any job I could get.

At the same time, I was immensely embarassed to be using any welfare program. I knew then, as well as now, that it was a matter of taking money from people who were working, and using that money to provide for my family. All of the programs were also very humiliating to be in, as the social workers always grilled us about every aspect of our lives.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: W I C

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,