The Mistake Of Most Martial Arts Trainers

The Mistake Martial Arts Trainers - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 6th Feb, 2005 - 8:05pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
27th Oct, 2004 - 12:18am / Post ID: #

From observation of all the styles of martial arts available, especially those that say their style is 'better' than the next I would have to say that there is one common mistake. No, it is not strength, not height or weight, but speed! Most do not talk about the speed that it takes to avoid a punch or follow-up on a counter attack (usually referred to as a defense). For instance, they (most trainers) teach you how to avoid a punch, but in reality, it is not so much about how to only as much as can you. If you are slow, it does not matter how many styles of martial arts you know - you are going to get hit! I believe this is the mistake of most oversized muscle men and 'big' people who are slowed down by their weight. This is especially true in combat that may involve grappling or endurance since your weight slows you down. You lack of speed practise is also a minus. Most students become so wrapped up in hitting an inanimate object that they become perilous in a real fight. What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 4th Dec, 2004 - 7:08pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Trainers Arts Martial Of Mistake The

I, too, agree with you. I mean, what is the point of attacking if you can't defend?
The way I see it is this: The enemy has no chance of winning if he can't hit you, and you have a chance of winning if you are not hit.

I believe that a martial artist should combine strength with agility and speed, and hence will not be too vulnerable.

One way to not become "muscle bound" is when strengthening, to work both lower and upper body, and so keep your body's muscles even. Also, a way to keep agility and speed is to run often, preferably daily, and to stretch VERY often. Also, you might want to practice jumping and other such things.

If you ask me, this is the best way to have the perfect balance of strength, agility, and speed

Post Date: 6th Feb, 2005 - 4:49am / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Mistake Of Most Martial Arts Trainers Sports & Fashion Music Movies

It sounds to me JB that you may have just been exposed to very bad instructors. The weakness is not in the art one takes, but in one's self. And If the weakness is in the instructor then one is messed up both ways. If an instructor tells you that he will make you so fast, that you will not get hit, he is taking you for a ride. In a fight YOU WILL GET HIT.

Curious JB if you take a martial art, what martial art do you study?

6th Feb, 2005 - 5:07am / Post ID: #

PedroS, the topic is not about me, it is about: The Mistake Of Most Martial Arts Trainers. I emphasize Trainers, and no, I am not a trainer. My thoughts were based on observation about training approaches from instructors from the perspective of a student and its application in real defense / combat. A good example of this is how many trainers approach technique to the 'Tee' and then their students feel awkward when in a street style fight. This is actually covered more specifically in another thread.

Years ago I took many mixed and pure styles including archaic weapon use. Now I just battle online in cyberspace.

6th Feb, 2005 - 9:59am / Post ID: #

Well, it is only common sense that speed is more valuable in a combat situation than brute strength. If you are familiar with Newton's laws of physics, then you know the equation for kinetic energy: 0.5m*v². If you increase your mass of, let's say, your fist by a factor of 2, then the kinetic energy that you put out while punching will also be doubled. But now, if you increase your speed by a twofold, your kinetic energy quadruples.

Reconcile Edited: Pheidon on 6th Feb, 2005 - 10:00am

6th Feb, 2005 - 11:53am / Post ID: #

Very good point and shows the value of speed, so one must consider why trainers do not focus more on this? Have you ever been to a dojo where the instructor focuses more on speed of movement and reaction time? For me it is as though they just go through the motions hoping that the class time will eventually finish. Maybe it is as PedroS said... I must have observed bad instructors.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 6th Feb, 2005 - 7:56pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Mistake Of Martial Arts Trainers

Now you may think this is off topic here JB but I assure you it is very much along the lines. In the Shaolin martial philosophy there are 5 main animals. Crane, Snake, Dragon, Panther, Tiger. These 5 animals are used in Shaolin to "complete" a martial artist. These are not styles but styles/philosophies.

Crane: Graceful, beautiful, harmonious
Snake: Precise, Wise, a Tactition
Dragon: Graceful, mysterious, soft
Panther: Dexterous, Agile, flexible
Tiger: Strong, Fast, direct

These 5 animal "traits" are essential in any form of martial arts. Many martial arts dont teach it is this way, but it is all there. As you can see speed is a part of the fight philosophy. But speed should not be a sole focus. A good balance of each of these traits would make a complete martial artist. Now staying on topic. You may have heard of Tiger style Kung Fu. That is a style that emphasised the Tiger philosophy or being Strong, Fast and Direct. However even though they focus on strong, fast strikes, blocks and evasion, they do not loose focus of the other animal philosophies.

6th Feb, 2005 - 8:05pm / Post ID: #

The Mistake Of Martial Arts Trainers Movies Music Fashion & Sports

It seems off topic for me, why? The thread is about the mistakes of trainers. In your thread what are you exactly pointing out as a mistake of a Trainer? I know you have a philosophy about how martial arts should be comprehended, but it is not what the thread is about! Do you understand?

Offtopic but,
You can, if you wish, start a thread entitled: How should Martial Arts be Understood and then input your philosophy there.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: The Mistake Of Most Martial Arts Trainers

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,