Nuns Marrying Jesus

Nuns Marrying Jesus - Studies of Catholicism - Posted: 7th Jan, 2011 - 5:58pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
A form of plural marriage?
Post Date: 27th Oct, 2004 - 12:57am / Post ID: #

Nuns Marrying Jesus

In the Catholic religion Nuns marry Jesus rather than any earthly man, is this interpreted to mean that Jesus would have a plurality of wives?

Sponsored Links:
27th Oct, 2004 - 2:29am / Post ID: #

Jesus Marrying Nuns

Is that a fact that nuns actually engage in the ceremony of marriage, or is it a rumor? I ask because I have been married to a Catholic for 5 years and never heard of that. I am not saying its not true; just want to get the facts straight. If I had heard such a statement I would have taken it as symbolic instead of literal. Just like communion is partaking of the body and blood of Christ; does that mean that those who do so are cannibals?

27th Oct, 2004 - 3:13am / Post ID: #

Nuns Marrying Jesus Catholicism Studies

No, it's not a rumor, is an actual ceremony. I have been a Catholic in the past, that's how I know. Nuns make different vows and when they engaged in marriage to Christ they wear a ring or a band to symbolized their marriage. I was searching for the exact vows online and here I found it:

Profession Day

"At last Jesus will be mine and I will be His. What more can I desire? The whole world could not satisfy my heart, for it belongs to Him whom the angels adore and the moon and sun stand in wonder. I will espouse Christ, my beloved, King of Heaven and earth and wish to remain His bride forever.

Therefore, I, Sr. _______________ vow and promise Poverty, Chastity and Obedience to Almighty God in the presence of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the angels and saints, the whole heavenly court, to all my superiors and their successors according to Our Holy Rule and Constitutions, and I hope with God's grace to persevere faithfully until death.
Amen."

https://www.blessings-catalog.com/storyofnuns.html

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 27th Oct, 2004 - 3:14am

27th Oct, 2004 - 3:23am / Post ID: #

Jesus Marrying Nuns

Thanks for the reference LDS_forever. According to what I read, not all nuns engage in this activity, and those who do are doing so as a symbol of their commitment to Christ, similar to a traditional marriage between a man and a woman.

Some orders also wear a wedding band, to symbolize their marriage to Christ.

Back to the original question, if we are to take this act of symbolism literally, then to what lengths will we take other symbols within the church. Personally, I wouldnt take this as an interpretation that Jesus were to take multiple wives. Just as I wouldnt take Jesus saying eat of my body and drink of my blood as an acceptance to cannibalism.

12th Dec, 2004 - 7:04pm / Post ID: #

Jesus Marrying Nuns

According to what I read, not all nuns engage in this activity, and those who do are doing so as a symbol of their commitment to Christ, similar to a traditional marriage between a man and a woman.

I don't know which part you read of the article but having growing up in a catholic schools and have nuns all around I know for a fact that ALL nuns must engage in this ceremony in order to become nuns (final vows).

16th Dec, 2004 - 4:24pm / Post ID: #

Nuns Marrying Jesus

I don't know if Nuns consider it symbolic or not, but the other "symbolism" mentioned is definately not viewed as symbolic by the Catholic church...that of communion or eucharist. The Catholic teaching is the bread and wine are, in fact, transformed into Christ's body and blood. This is called transubtantiation. So, we can't really assume that the marriage is considered symbolic in nature.

I know that I have been told before that Nuns consider themselves to be married to the Savior. I, too, was once a Catholic. I, however, don't know if they consider this a symbolic marriage or a literal marriage in the eyes of the Church. I do know a women who used to be a Nun. If I get a chance, I will ask her.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 23rd Nov, 2010 - 1:40pm / Post ID: #

Nuns Marrying Jesus

Name: MyThoughts

Comments: Wouldn't this be considered incestuous? Jesus is, after all, considered our father, according to the bible. What's wrong with these women? Are they rejects of society and feel the only place they fit in is the church? SAD... Just plain sad and utterly ridiculous [in my opinion].

7th Jan, 2011 - 5:58pm / Post ID: #

Nuns Marrying Jesus Studies Catholicism

Incestuous? I think some of you need to understand that this is just symbolic. I think the mind of humans in general these days is corrupted thinking sex as the start and end of all things.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Nuns Marrying Jesus

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,