How You View Posts

How View Posts - Community News, FAQ, Feedback - Posted: 7th Nov, 2004 - 9:38pm

Register Login Text RPG Play Text RPG ?     New: 8 34 124 Why Join Help Register/Login via:Register/Login via:
Welcome Guest

+  1 2 3 
Do you see threads in each board as
Post Date: 1st Nov, 2004 - 7:08pm / Post ID: #

How You View Posts

How do you view posts within this community?

On many other forums posts made by members are usually considered 'old' after two weeks or more and you are often chastised for posting to them after no replies within that two week period. So, most moderators on other forums tend to lock these 'old' topics that are 'reactivated' periodically.

This does not exist on this forum, each thread is considered to be a constructive enhancement for knowledge or entertainment and they are seen as part of a database. Thus an old topic from 2 years ago may still be interesting today. To understand this concept fully members are encouraged to not look at only the first page of a board, but the 2nd, 3rd, etc. Each page of a board (where you see all the threads) shows 50+ threads of topics.

Some members tend to only analyze the latest topics or the first page of each board, we know this, because occasionally one of the bots or a user will post in an old page 2 or 3 thread and suddenly there is immense activity on it only because users now see it in the latest topics. What was your first view about posts here and how has it changed now that you are 'settled' in the community?

Post Date: 6th Nov, 2004 - 8:58pm / Post ID: #

AGene
How You View Posts
A Friend

Posts View How

QUOTE (Persephone @ 1-Nov 04, 12:08 PM)
What was your first view about posts here and how has it changed now that you are 'settled' in the community?

Oh my gosh it is going to take me weeks to read everything!

It did too ~ because as I read, I also went to each poster's profile so that I could get some handle on what they were thinking, *where they were coming from*.

I mostly read the newer topics, I don't post near as often as I used to ~ but my lifestyle has changed and I don't have near the free time as I did. When there are few posts and I have more time, like today~ then I go to the older posts. Today I went to the unanswered posts and took a look at what interested me.

Post Date: 6th Nov, 2004 - 10:58pm / Post ID: #

Dia. Mod + Chief Mod
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 17,351
Avg: 3.8 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 98.5%
[+] Gain: 989.96 FP
Charm: 334

How You View Posts Feedback & FAQ News Community

Well, I think the big difference between this community and others is that we do not care how long a thread have been in the forum because our community is a source of information, therefore, all the information is important and useful, regardless of how long it has been here.

Post Date: 7th Nov, 2004 - 4:59pm / Post ID: #

Member + Agent Zapper
[?] CPosts: 3,709
Avg: 0.9 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 22.8%
[+] Gain: 224.48 FP
Charm: 149

Posts View How

I enjoy the fact that the forum acts like a large database of information, because it makes it easier for those of us who werent here at day 1 to go back and read through discussions that started before we joined. It never fails to amaze me how many new topics I find hidden once I start exploring different sections. It is not uncommon for me sometimes to come to the board and spend most of my time reading through older discussions, and not post a lot, so it makes a look like a peeper instead of a poster, for that day. This is a concept that I think a lot of other forums miss.

Post Date: 7th Nov, 2004 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

Member Graced
[?] CPosts: 97
Avg: 0.0 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 0.5%
[+] Gain: 200.00 FP
Charm: 4

Posts View How

Being new to this forum, I find that I go by topic when deciding which one I will read and reply to. The date of the last posting does not matter, and for that I am grateful, for many topics I have no experience or connection to, and therefore have more options with the old topics being available.

Post Date: 7th Nov, 2004 - 7:31pm / Post ID: #

Member Watchful Eye
[?] CPosts: 719
Avg: 0.3 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 6.5%
Charm: 52

How You View Posts

QUOTE (Narrock @ 7-Nov 04, 2:33 PM)
Being new to this forum, I find that I go by topic when deciding which one I will read and reply to. The date of the last posting does not matter, and for that I am grateful, for many topics I have no experience or connection to, and therefore have more options with the old topics being available.

Exactly the same. I think it's very useful to have so many topics created and never being old. But, I think there should still be such a feature that locks certain old threads that do not have to do with the current situation. For example, the thread of 'Who will be the next U.S president?' should be locked, unless we want to use it for the 2008 election ;)

Attached Image Edited: Smudge on 7th Nov, 2004 - 7:33pm

Post Date: 7th Nov, 2004 - 9:32pm / Post ID: #

Diamond + Author
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 3,526
Avg: 0.8 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 19.8%
Charm: 225

How View Posts

For example, the thread of 'Who will be the next U.S president?' should be locked, unless we want to use it for the 2008 election

I think you will find that that particular topic is closed and locked.

The hardest thing that I have with such a large database of messages is that I most likely end up repeating myself over and over in certain subjects.

Post Date: 7th Nov, 2004 - 9:38pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 36,954
Avg: 8.3 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 4,480.22 FP
Charm: 330

How View Posts

Smudge: For example, the thread of 'Who will be the next U.S president?' should be locked, unless we want to use it for the 2008 election

That was locked a couple of days ago :spock: We also started a new one about what Bush will do next so the trend of the conversation would continue now that we know who the President is for the next 4 years.

Malexander:  It never fails to amaze me how many new topics I find hidden once I start exploring different sections.

That is very true and I think it is the purpose of Persephone's investigation.

Guest please SHARE: "How You View Posts" on:

+  1 2 3 
Sponsored Links:

OPTIONS FOR DISCUSSION: About, How, When, Where, Why of How You View Posts
Options Fast Reply Add Reply Add Poll

No Registration Required!

We welcome input from visitors:
Add Comment As A Guest
Guest, please be considerate by using the appropriate tags as well as checking your grammar before submitting or it will be deleted. See: Constructive Posting Policy.

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: How You View Posts

Share:

Like:

Donate Compare Membership
International Discussions Coded by: BGID® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2018
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits

Unanswered

The below Topics have Zero Replies, can you be the first to comment on one or more of them?
Updated: Every 30 mins.

World Issues

USA vs North Korea:
North Korea Nuclear Weapons
versus USA This country is no Iraq. What is the USA going to do? What will be the outcome? By Politica 1 Week Ago
China Navy:
Chinese Aircraft Carrier
China Navy Beware the new Naval power, they are planning to come on stream with big naval might to match their ground forces. Chinese Aircraft Carrier - Chinese Navy By Reformist 1 Week Ago
North Korea vs South Korea:
versus North Korea Vs. South Korea By News 11th Feb, 2018 - 1:09pm
USA vs Syria:
versus U.S.A. Is Syria the next Iraq? By Opinion 6th Feb, 2018 - 9:34am
China vs USA:
USA versus China versus Chinese versus Americans The role of its Army, Politics, and Status in the World. By Factual 28th Jan, 2018 - 1:35pm
North Korea Military:
Discuss  North Korea Military This Thread is about the North Korean Military itself - the kind of army, navy, and air force they have. By Wizard 15th Jan, 2018 - 9:36am
Russia vs. Syria:
Syria vs Russia By News 12th Dec, 2017 - 2:36am
Do You Know What To Do In A Nuclear Attack?:
Top  Do Know In Nuclear Attack By Gknightbc 18th Oct, 2017 - 9:45pm
Japan vs North Korea:
North Korea versus Japan versus War With Japan By Swell 17th Oct, 2017 - 4:17pm
USA vs Germany:
Germany versus U.S.A. By News 20th Sep, 2017 - 3:44pm
China Military:
China Military Technology Preparing For China. China is growing their military. China Military Technology - can it keep up with the US? By Abnninja 5th Mar, 2017 - 5:25pm