No Poor, No Distress, No Jail...

No Poor Distress Jail - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 16th Dec, 2004 - 4:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Zion or something close to it?
Post Date: 28th Nov, 2004 - 1:07am / Post ID: #

Do you know of any culture, group or people that can meet the expectations of Thomas Paine? Anyone that was close to it?

"When shall it be said in any country of the world, my poor are happy, neither ignorance or distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes not oppressive; the rational world is my friend because I am friend of its happiness. When these things can be said, then may that country boast of its constitution and government ."
-- Thomas Paine

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 14th Dec, 2004 - 1:55am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Jail Distress Poor No

As wonderful as it would be if we had a utopian society, it would be unBiblical. The Bible tells us that there will be strife until the coming of the Lord, and I don't think we should expect anything less.

It's sad, though, that our world has developed into a stage that it has. I wish that we lived in a world without conflict, without poverty, and without hatrid.

I don't think that means that we live in a horrible country or a horrible world. I think we still have room to be proud of a lot of things in our world.

16th Dec, 2004 - 1:21am / Post ID: #

No Poor, No Distress, No Jail... Beliefs Religious General

The city of Enoch in the Bible and the people immediately following the coming of Christ in the Book of Mormon are the only examples I can see in history. Every utopian attempt has failed in its pursuit of Zion. For example, communism as a principle points toward that end, but it has led to terrible consequences in the countries that have been oppressed by evil men in the name of communism. Communism can never practically achieve its ideal purpose, because greed is strong and unchecked. Capitalistic representative democracy is imperfect, but it is the best system we have for now. It opens the door of poverty for some, but it opens the door of opportunity for all. This may conflict with Paine's vision, but it offers the people more power and freedom to work toward their individual ideals, and thus we are privileged to live by our personal convictions, working toward what we see as Zion.

16th Dec, 2004 - 4:12pm / Post ID: #

Jail Distress Poor No

Unfortunately, I think it goes against human nature to have such a society as described. If I work harder than someone else, I expect a bigger reward. If I take the risk, I expect a bigger reward. Eventually, that puts me in a position of power or authority over someone else. That leads to jealousy and envy. That leads some people to commit certain crimes. That leads to prison...

> TOPIC: No Poor, No Distress, No Jail...

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,