A World Without Laws.

A World Laws - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 30th Jan, 2005 - 7:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
11th Nov, 2004 - 7:06am / Post ID: #

A World Without Laws.

Imagine - what if, suddenly, all of the rules in the world are abolished. Would you act different in the future, knowing what laws used to exist, but they do not hold any meaning anymore?

Also consider, what would happen to the crime rate? Would it stay the same, only the people who used to do it keeping to it? would it rise, with people who used to be innocent taking advantage of the deletion of laws? Or maybe, it would fall, criminals quitting the act because it is no longer fun (there must be some people who do it for the excitement of going against the law undecided.gif )?

What do you think?

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

Sponsored Links:
11th Nov, 2004 - 9:22am / Post ID: #

Laws World A

Smudge, I moved this topic to Law and Order because it seemed to fit better here. I don't know if I would want to live in a world without laws. There would be too much confusion, because everyone would have their own perceptions of what was right and what was wrong. You ask about whether people would stop committing crimes, but, if there were no laws, what would be considered a crime anymore? In my opinion, the world would not be a big mess!

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

11th Nov, 2004 - 3:57pm / Post ID: #

A World Without Laws. History & Civil Business Politics

Well this could be considered a field day by the Libs, but here is my basic opinion. Laws agreed to by the populace bring peace and in many instances 'joy' to those that keep them. Without some sort of understanding that I have a right and you have a right then it would be utter chaos and we become no better than common animals fighting to maintain boundaries and things the way we want it.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

11th Nov, 2004 - 4:04pm / Post ID: #

Laws World A

Well, a world without laws would be horrible. I don't think people are basically good. I think the opposite is true. I think if there were no laws people would take the law into their own hands...their law. So, if you offend me, why shouldn't I kill you. A bit extreme you say? Well, tell that to gang members.

You crash into my car, my brand new super expensive car, I might have to run you over or beat you up or maybe kill you, as well. Again, you think this is extreme...tell that to the average Massachusetts driver.

I think laws keep good people good. Just like locks keep honest people honest.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 11th Nov, 2004 - 4:07pm

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

11th Nov, 2004 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #

Laws World A

While I agree wholeheartedly that laws are necessary, I really believe that there must be great restraint in making and enforcing those laws.

The thing to remember when discussing laws of any kind, is that the laws themselves don't generally change behaviour. What they do is outline some of the consequences associated with certain behaviour.

Consider 'natural' laws, such as those having to do with physics, chemistry, or mathematics. While it is, essentially, impossible to 'break' these laws, it is entirely possible to apply 'higher' laws to change things. As an example, while it is impossible for a person to fly (naturally), it is entirely possible with the application of advanced laws of physics, including such things as aerodynamics, thrust, etc.

I also believe that there are 'eternal' laws, which outline the consequences of our actions upon our eternal natures. But that discussion would be better taken up on the Religion board.

Now, to discuss those laws related to society, which is, I think, the original intent of this topic.

Whether we like it or not, societies always have laws associated with them. They may not be formally or explicitly outlined such as the Constitution of the United States, but they are still there. It doesn't matter how primitive or advanced the society is, it will still have both informal and formal laws of some kind. The law might be as simple and straightforward as, "If you don't like the rules, leave the group." Or, it could be as complex as those rules that American Indians used to "count coup" on an enemy. The explicit and sophisticated legal systems that have developed throughout the world are based on these primitive societal laws.

When you think about it, whenever two people associate, in any type of relationship, they establish laws of some sort. If you and I meet together for lunch, we will abide by societal laws, and establish some of our own. For example, neither of us would scream at the other in the middle of a restaurant (I would hope), as this is a violation of social custom. We might quibble, or argue in a good natured way about who picks up the check for the meal, but we would be unlikely to "stiff" the other person by leaving them with the entire cost of the meal, without reaching an agreement to do so.

So, when people note that they wouldn't want to live in a world without laws, I think that it is entirely impossible to even consider such a situation. It depends on how you define 'laws' in the discussion.

Now, one final thought. Back to my original statement. I believe that governments generally seek to establish far too many laws, and frequently establish and enforce unjust laws. Whenever they do so, no matter what government it is doing this, respect for "the law" (actually referring to the Rule of Law) is degraded. And, I believe that observation of this very tendency is what prompted this topic.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

11th Nov, 2004 - 11:48pm / Post ID: #

A World Without Laws.

I don't think people are basically good. I think the opposite is true. I think if there were no laws people would take the law into their own hands...their law

I agree with Tenaheff. I didn't want to post my view in the opening post to leave it unbiased.

Even though the people know something was considered wrong before, they will not be afraid to do it once nothing would happen to them. There was once an experiment about that. I don't remember exactly but something like this - Some randomly chosen people were summoned to a corridor outside a room and were told that inside were criminals sitting on electric chairs.

The people were then told to push a button every so often, and when they did, they heard cries and shouts. After some time, they continued pushing the button by themselves, just for the fun of it.

Of course they weren't criminals, there were just payed actors that were told to yell when they were signaled.

It wasn't exactly a crime, because they thought they were criminals, but it shows how human beings like to cause pain if there are no consequences to that.

It depends on how you define 'laws' in the discussion.

What I meant was written laws, not etiquettes or societal laws. And it's not that there are none - there will be laws, but the punishments would be abolished.

Reconcile Edited: Smudge on 11th Nov, 2004 - 11:51pm

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Dec, 2004 - 10:54am / Post ID: #

A World Laws.

I don't think people are basically good. I think the opposite is true. I think if there were no laws people would take the law into their own hands...their law.

I totally agree with you!. If they were no laws I think anybody would take justice by their own hand. We have to analise how many people do not kill nowdays because it is the wrong thing to do or because they are afraid in ending up in jail. It would be a nightmare a world without laws....

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

30th Jan, 2005 - 7:01pm / Post ID: #

A World Laws. Politics Business Civil & History

While I agree that generally, crime will increase, do you suppose there will be people who will stop criming because of no restrictions? Maybe those who commit crimes only because of the jeapordy involved?

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: A World Without Laws.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,