Heber J. Grant

Heber J Grant - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 15th Nov, 2004 - 2:25am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Word of Wisdom
14th Nov, 2004 - 10:20pm / Post ID: #

Heber J. Grant

I did not get a chance to post this before the fact, but today's lessons brought up some colorful discussion with two points I would like to bring up here. The first was on the difference between tea and infusion and the use of chocolate drinks. I once knew a Brother who said he had a weakness for 'tea' and could not get the Melchizedek priesthood. After a visit to his home I realized that he thought 'tea' was his Milo (a chocolate drink that is vitamin fortified, in Trinidad the people sometimes refer to chocolate drinks as 'tea'). Of course, after just a short time he received the priesthood, but it shows how using the right words is so important.

The other point is the use of drugs. I was saying that it is important in this day and age not to not just say we should not use illegal drugs, but instead we should not use harmful drugs as some countries allow marijuana and other 'higher' order intoxicating drugs as legal with Jamaica being one example.

One 'debate' came up as to if to use medicines with alcohol in it - it was interesting to hear the responses.

Sponsored Links:
14th Nov, 2004 - 11:11pm / Post ID: #

Grant J Heber

I taught this lesson today in Relief Society. I tried very hard to focus more on the blessings, many which have nothing specifically to do with health rather than on the specifics of what exactly the Word of Wisdom prohibits. In my ward, the members, generally, don't need to be reminded so much about coffee, tea, alcohol and tobacco. So, I challenged them all that I was sure none of us in the room fully lived the Word of Wisdom. There is much in the Word of Wisdom that goes beyond those basics. So, I challenged them to dig deeper on their own. I wanted to discuss the benefits of such an effort.

One of my favorite quotes from the lesson:

3. No man who breaks the Word of Wisdom can gain the same amount of knowledge and intelligence in the world as the man who obeys that law.

14th Nov, 2004 - 11:23pm / Post ID: #

Heber J. Grant Studies Doctrine Mormon

I did not have the chance to listen this lesson in Relief Society because I was asked to teach the Young Women but when I finished with my lesson in YW, I joined Relief Society (it usually finishes late) and a sister asked if to eat a dessert with alcohol on it (tiramisu, to be specific) if that is to break the word of wisdom. It was interesting to listen the replies.

15th Nov, 2004 - 2:25am / Post ID: #

Grant J Heber

Our class was taught by a sister who has such a great grasp on the gospel. She is a temple worker, has taught seminary and gospel doctrine, and she is a very intelligent, sweet lady. (Her husband was called about a year ago to be stake Patriarch, which really has nothing to do with her own knowledge, just interesting to note.)

She made quite a "to do" about eating too much meat, and admitted that she struggles with it. We had a great discussion in the class, which is kind of unusual for our ward. The instructor also pointed out various other scriptures that discuss points from the Word of Wisdom. It was a great lesson, and one that I actually needed today.

> TOPIC: Heber J. Grant

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,