Do You Do Things Based On...

Do Based On - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 5th Mar, 2005 - 1:24am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 

?
Poll: Be honest: Most of your decisions are based on?
  If it is safe to do so       27.27%
  If it is viewed as politically correct       0.00%
  If it is accepted by the populace       0.00%
  If it is simply the right thing to do       72.73%
Total Votes: 11
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
The choices you make in the world
Post Date: 16th Nov, 2004 - 1:02am / Post ID: #

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it politic? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular- but one must take it simply because it is right."
-- Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968

Sponsored Links:
16th Nov, 2004 - 1:17am / Post ID: #

On Based Things You Do

I voted in this poll without reading the quote of Martin Luther King. I try to do things because 'that's the right thing to do', I have been in situations where the right thing to do was not something that personally pleased me or I was happy about. I always wear a CTR ring on my right hand (CTR stands for Choose the Right), everytime I have a problem and I do not know what to do, I always ended up looking at my ring and know exactly what to do.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 25th Nov, 2004 - 12:51pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Do You Do Things Based On... History & Civil Business Politics

Never do anything against conscience even if the state demands it
-- Albert Einstein

10th Dec, 2004 - 12:03am / Post ID: #

On Based Things You Do

That was a really hard question. I chose if it's the right thing to do, because it's the most important consideration, but there certainly were others. If it is safe, for example. I wanted to put that, because this is often one of my considerations, but then I realized that only when safety is the right thing, then I act according to it, hence the last option fit more.

Political correctness - I hate it. If the decisions are minor ones, I often choose them because they're against political correctness. I like to make sure I'm not falling into the mainstream and would sometimes like to do something to reassure that.

How people view me - this may look controversial, but I take that as a big influence. Not of my choice - I would like to change that part of me if I could, but I can't. How other people feel about me tends to be very important for me sometimes.

I would say it tied the 'what is the right thing to do' option, but I voted that, because... it felt like the right thing to do. wink.gif

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

11th Dec, 2004 - 7:44pm / Post ID: #

On Based Things You Do

This was an easy question for me. All my life I have always tried to do the right thing. My nickname used to be Miss Goody Two Shoes, because I wouldn't even cut class in school. I just think that life is so much easier if you automatically do what is right. I remember a few years ago when my boss came to saying he was fairly certain a co-worker was stealing from the company and would I help him catch her. I didn't want to do it because she was a friend, but I also knew that I had to because it was the right thing to do. I also hoped that maybe my friend was in need of help and didn't know how to ask. In the end she was caught, mainly because of my help, she was also given a chance to keep her job if she apologized to everyone and worked the debt off. She refused the offer. Perhaps she wasn't as good a person as I thought. I know that the times in my life when I've chosen the safe, or easy way, is the times I've had the most problems.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 11 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.1%

11th Dec, 2004 - 8:59pm / Post ID: #

Well, if it is an issue of right or wrong, I do my best to choose what is right. However, not all choices are a matter of right or wrong. Sometimes neither choice is wrong...for example how to cut my hair or what color lipstick to wear. In those cases, I often choose what others think over what I think. I don't have a lot of self-confidence in such areas. I would say I am very aware of political correctness, and, although I don't always agree with it or like it, I usually follow its dictates. It makes life easier.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 20th Dec, 2004 - 7:20am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Do You Things Based On...

I usually try to do what is right, although many times there is no clear option. To pose the age-old question:
Your best-friend bought a new [insert generic clothing item here]. Your friend loves it, but you think it looks hideous. When s/he asks how it looks, should you:
a.) lie, tell her/him that it looks great, but make them feel good
b.) not lie tell her/him that it looks bad, and hurt their feelings

Some of the options are clearly not for me. I am a Pentecostal, so I obviously don't care what people think of me; and I am an anarchist, so I usually try to avoid being politically correct. (but try being an anarchist in a Pentecostal church undecided.gif )

Post Date: 5th Mar, 2005 - 1:24am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Do You Things Based On... Politics Business Civil & History

To be honest, I have used all of the choices listed in the poll in making decisions. I have based decisions around trying to be politically correct before, but I don't think that I base most of my decisions off of that. I have made decisions based upon needing or wanting to have physical, mental, spiritual and/or emotional safety plenty of times. Those decisions are usually based in the desire to protect my family and/or myself according to the things I've learned in life, but sometimes those decisions are made based off of fears that I have. I don't feel that is a healthy way for me to base my decisions upon. I have definitely made decisions, at times without a conscious effort to do so, based off of what others think of me and if I am acceptable to them. This has been the hardest type of decision making for me to overcome. Ultimately, my goal is that I will base all of my decisions in life upon what I feel is ' the right thing to do.' I think that currently, more of my decisions are based upon wanting 'to do what is right' than any of the other choices, even though I do need to improve at that. I feel that the other reasons listed for basing my decisions off of are valid at times, but for me, the most important reason I want to have in deciding to do anything is to do what I think is the right thing to do. Those are the decisions that I feel are best for everyone, that I am most at peace about making, and the ones that I am the happiest with.

Reconcile Edited: dawnofthenew on 5th Mar, 2005 - 1:26am

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Do You Do Things Based On...

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,