The Importance Of Language.

The Importance Language - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 28th Nov, 2004 - 3:43pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
16th Nov, 2004 - 4:11am / Post ID: #

Some say language makes up most of our intellect, because intellect is basically the way we think and process information, and imagine how differently we would think without language!

Almost every daily act we carry out, we think about it first and formulate into words. But if you wouldn't have known these words, what would have happened? Probably, the most basic images running through your mind and limiting your way of thinking, and therefore, perhaps, limiting the way you act and react.

What do you think?

Reconcile Edited: Smudge on 16th Nov, 2004 - 4:13am

Sponsored Links:
17th Nov, 2004 - 8:01am / Post ID: #

Language Importance The

If you observe people you know, you will probably find the brightest and most successful to be those who have a great command of the language. The level of comprehension in any communication, whether interpersonal or intrapersonal, is determined by one's application of the language. Communication and introspection are key to almost any success.

Post Date: 27th Nov, 2004 - 5:16pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Importance Of Language. UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I think it depends on what aspect of life you're talking about. If you're speaking in an academic setting, then yes, for the most part a grasp on language would be vital, though people have overcome it. In an artists scope, though, language doesn't necessarily mean success. Not just painting type artistry, but performance art as well. I've worked with band students who weren't very eloquent with speech, and they were more than succesful in music programs. I think it depends on the aspect of life that is being dealt with.

27th Nov, 2004 - 5:40pm / Post ID: #

Language Importance The

If you have no language at all, that's what I asked. Would you be able to think just as well, with no language to express your thoughts with?

Reconcile Edited: Smudge on 27th Nov, 2004 - 5:41pm

27th Nov, 2004 - 8:48pm / Post ID: #

Language Importance The

I guess we are talking about ALL types of language right?, because they are very smart individuals who are dumb or deaf or both who use sign language and through body movements can express themselves as good or even better than other individuals who have the ability to speak.

28th Nov, 2004 - 3:26am / Post ID: #

You have a very good point there, LDS. I wonder how deaf people think. For instance, when we say 'Oh my god' in our mind, why do they do? will they still be able to speak in their mind, or will they see hand movements that indicate what they are thinking?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Nov, 2004 - 8:15am / Post ID: #

The Importance Language.

In saying that command of language is vital to success, I do not necessarily mean eloquence. Ability to convey one's thoughts accurately is more important than ability to impress others with flowery speech. This is especially important in introspective communication within oneself.

As far as artistic endeavors, I agree that most visual art and some music and performance art do not include verbal or written language. However, successful artists have fascinating internal monologues that inform their outward expression.

Regarding the deaf - they must be as fluent in their language skills as everybody else. Helen Keller would have been considered an unfortunate victim with minimal intelligence if she had not found a way to communicate with the world. Although sign language is a different language, it requires the same cognitive processes that govern all language.

Language is beneficial even to those who do not communicate with anybody else, and that language may only be understood by the one using it. It is the way we define our feelings and thoughts, the way we categorize our experiences, and the way we define and discover who we are.

A quick exercise: Try to have a thought that doesn't involve any words. For me, every thought image is immediately translated into language. For example, as soon as I think of a red corvette, words pop into my mind involuntarily - red, car, tires, Corvette, leather, fast, etc. Language is the process by which the mind interprets and categorizes any thought, but the mind can only work with the palate provided by the efforts of its captain. Imagine the increase in brain activity and comprehension when a person improves his or her working vocabulary by only 10 percent! No matter what definition of success one believes, sharper language skills will always help in achieving it.

Reconcile Edited: howe6079 on 28th Nov, 2004 - 8:19am

Post Date: 28th Nov, 2004 - 3:43pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Importance Language. Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO

I can focus on some sound I hear, and it will remind me of a song I've played in the past. When I'm not thinking about it, then I can sit there and go through an entire piece without words popping into my head. Unless it comes to my conscious that I'm doing it, and then I'll start thinking in my head. I get in trouble about it to. smile.gif I'll be asked what I'm thinking, and nobody believes me when I say 'Nothing.'

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: The Importance Of Language.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,