Mom Allegedly Cut Off Baby's Arms

Mom Allegedly Cut Baby' S Arms - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 12th Dec, 2004 - 9:38pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

23rd Nov, 2004 - 3:14pm / Post ID: #

This story is so disturbing...I had to put it on this board sad.gif

From CNN:

PLANO, Texas (AP) -- A woman with a history of postpartum depression cut the arms off her baby girl who later died, authorities said.

Dena Schlosser was sitting in her living room covered with blood when police arrived Monday. Her almost 11-month-old daughter lay fatally injured in a crib in a bedroom of the family's apartment in Plano. The child was pronounced dead shortly afterward at a nearby hospital.

Police have charged the 35-year-old mother with capital murder, but declined to reveal where she is being held.

Schlosser, who had a history of postpartum depression, had been investigated on child neglect allegations earlier this year, but Texas Child Protective Services had recently closed a seven-month investigation, concluding that Schlosser did not pose a risk to her children. Neighbors said she seemed to be a loving, attentive mother....

She faces capital murder charges

https://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/23/severed.arms.ap/index.html

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 23rd Nov, 2004 - 3:15pm

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
23rd Nov, 2004 - 6:49pm / Post ID: #

Arms Babys Cut Allegedly Mom

I was very saddened to read about this last night. Apparently, the mother had an episode when the baby was only 6 days old where she starting running down the street. Her 6 year old was riding her bicycle after her while the baby was at home alone. Child Protection Services had gotten involved, and after the mother promised to seek professional help, they closed the case in August. Makes you wonder if this tragedy could have been avoided earlier. I feel bad for the father and the 2 kids that are left behind who have to deal with not only losing their sibling and child, but mother and wife as well.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

25th Nov, 2004 - 2:23am / Post ID: #

Mom Allegedly Cut Off Baby's Arms History & Civil Business Politics

This is more than post-partum depression, in my opinion (and certainly not a professional opinion). I can't imagine depression leading a mother to cut off her child's arms. That's psychosis, not depression.

It just makes my heart ache for that little girl to have had to suffer so much at the hands of her very own mother. How awful for the whole family.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

25th Nov, 2004 - 1:18pm / Post ID: #

This is more than post-partum depression, in my opinion (and certainly not a professional opinion). I can't imagine depression leading a mother to cut off her child's arms. That's psychosis, not depression.

Post-partum depression leads to psychosis, but you see, nobody takes these things seriously. This woman have been always been a great mom, her neighbors said, one day she just start running out of the house and her little 6 years old was riding a bike and trying to follow her, and she (the mother) left the house with the baby there, unattended. Social Services did not think the baby was in danger, maybe if this case may have been follow up, this may have not happen. Do you remember the case of the mother who drown her 5 children on their bathtub?. This is very disturbing and I think more information should be available about Post-Partum depression and things that can happen because of it.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 11th Dec, 2004 - 1:51pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

This is indeed very disturbing. It makes me wonder just where the father and other close family and friends were to not have noticed what should have been a drastically obvious emotional decline.

I did a little research and found these interesting paragraphs which originate from the Mayo Clinic...

About 10 percent of new mothers experience a more severe form of depression called postpartum depression. The associated feelings, such as sadness, anxiety and restlessness, can be so strong that they interfere with daily tasks. Postpartum depression can occur at any time within about the first six months after giving birth. If left untreated, it can last up to a year or longer.

In rare cases, an even more severe form of depression, postpartum psychosis, can develop. Some of the symptoms of this mental illness are similar to those of postpartum depression, but they're more extreme.

The full text is **here**

Being bipolar, I was already predisposed to postpartum depression. Both my boys were delivered via C-section, which is also considered to be a contributing factor. The odds of me getting more than just the "baby blues" were much higher than average. There is quite a lot of sage advice in the simple adage that to be forewarned is to be forearmed.

We may never know the full details of this heart wrenching story. It is my sincere hope that though advance education, early identification and treatment, cases like this will cease to happen.

There is a group called PSI: Postpartum Support International **link here** Please pass the word to all expectant or moms who have recently given birth, thanks.

12th Dec, 2004 - 9:38pm / Post ID: #

Fugitive, thanks for that wonderful information. I think we need to be seriously aware of this problem. It is sad to see children getting hurt in such terrible, terrible ways...and yet you cannot hold accountable the mother because she was in a psychosis state undecided.gif but what about the child? doesn't deserve justice?. Wow, a very complicated situation.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Mom Allegedly Cut Off Baby's Arms

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,