Prison Systems - Page 2 of 2

I think that laws need to be reworked. I totally - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 27th Apr, 2009 - 2:56am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Law breakers - what should we do with them?
15th Dec, 2004 - 10:53pm / Post ID: #

Prison Systems - Page 2

Even though we might look at jails and think they are too nice, in fact, these people have lost something very dear to all of us...their freedom. They don't decide when or what to eat. They don't decide when to shower or how often. Their lives are very much controlled by others. Most importantly, they do not have the freedom to leave when they want.

One major problem with the prisons is that they are populated by criminals. So, when you put a bunch of like minded people together, rather than reform many of them, they are given the opportunity to hone their craft.

However, I know of no better alternative that has worked.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 19th Dec, 2004 - 4:32am / Post ID: #

Prison Systems
A Friend

Systems Prison

I dont think our criminial justice system works for the public at all you get a criminial stick him in prison for 10 years and let him out in 3 on parole well all that tells me is that I can do anything I want just about and not have to worry about serving a full sentence so no I do not agree with prisons

19th Dec, 2004 - 8:15pm / Post ID: #

Prison Systems History & Civil Business Politics

Shadowlord, your complaint doesn't really explain why you don't think prison works. Your complaint seems to be more that we don't keep people in jail for the length of their sentence. So, what if a sentence of 10 years in jail meant exactly that, 10 years in jail. Eliminate parole. Then do you think prison is the answer? Or, do you think there is a better method to deal with criminals?

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Post Date: 20th Dec, 2004 - 6:27am / Post ID: #

Prison Systems
A Friend

Page 2 Systems Prison

The laws need to be reformed, not the prisons.

Since there is no anarchist party in the US, I vote Libertarian. A major plank in their party platform is that all drugs - not just marijuana, but also cocaine, heroin, speed, LSD, PCP, ecstacy, angel dust, and the list goes on. Here is their reasoning behind this:
On many cases when a non-violent offender is incarcerated for drug-related charges, a violent offender is set free to make room.
So, politicians are sending the message that it is better to beat someone up than to get drugs from them. Prison effectiveness beside the point, I would rather have a violent offender locked up than just some casual drug user.

Now then, on the issue of prison effectiveness. If laws were reformed so that violent offenders would stay locked up, that would solve part of the problem. Even then, there is still no reconditioning to make the person re-acceptable to society. Instead, they are given access to a gym with all kinds of exercise equipment, they are given ample opportunity to roam the prison yard, and the only real thing going on is they are being ostracized from society. When their time is finally up, they are released, stronger, and probably more violent, than before.
The recent Libertarian Presidential candidate, Michael Badnarik, had a very radical view on the prison system. He believes that violent criminals should be made bed-ridden for several weeks when they first arrive, to allow their muscles to atrophy. Then, they should be denied access to any sort of weight-lifting equipment. In effect, violent criminals would be rendered helpless.

they have a roof over their head, cable television, and three meals a day.

I agree. If anything, give them a small radio and a daily newspaper so that they can keep up on current events. Instead of watching TV all day, I think their time would be more well-spent reading books. I also believe that all inmates should receive weekly counseling for the duration of their sentence. This way, upon their release, they are mentally and intellectually ready to be a benefit to society.

I think prison structure should be reformed so that there are no large congregations of violent offenders, taking away any chance they may have of planning an en mass attack. Instead, violent offenders should be kept in a separate area from non-violent offenders, and all activities should be done with small groups of no more than 10 at a time.

Lastly, I support capital punishment. Under Old Testament laws, the punishment for murder was death. Rather than stoning, we now have more humane ways of ending a persons life. However, I do believe that the capital punishment should only be applied in cases of absolute certainty. This is now possible with DNA testing. I also believe that the death sentence should be applied by a jury rather than a judge.
I support capital punishment rather than life in prison, apart from Biblical laws, because, in all actuality, I think it is a more human punishment than life in prison. Rather than spending the rest of your life, which could be as long as 60 years or more, subject to the daily prison routines, your suffering is ended quickly. Not only does this make it quicker for the prisoner, but it also eliminates the tax burden from the law-abiding citizens.

Post Date: 9th Mar, 2006 - 3:11pm / Post ID: #

Prison Systems
A Friend

Systems Prison

One of my instructors in Basic Law Enforcement Training (rookie school) said that most crimes were committed by repeat offenders. This was almost 10 years ago. I have seen other studies confirming that comment.

Since then, I understand that some of the sentencing has become more strict and criminals are spending longer portions of there sentence. I think this is one reason that crime rates in many areas have dropped over that same period of time.

I like the idea of "three strikes and your out" sentencing that gives life or very long sentences to people that are convicted of three or more felonies. This gives someone chances to learn to live by the rules that they apparently didn't learn growing up. If they haven't learned by the third time, do you honestly think they have much chance of being "rehabilitated"?

The best place to start prevention is in the home at an extremely young age, the next in the schools, but once criminal behavior is commonplace in one's life, it is very difficult for someone to change. Crime has become a very bad habit. These people have shown that they cannot be trusted in society and currently the most acceptable alternative is prison.

Post Date: 26th Apr, 2009 - 11:51am / Post ID: #

Prison Systems

"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons". - Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1821-1881), Russian novelist

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Apr, 2009 - 2:56am / Post ID: #

Prison Systems - Page 2

I think that laws need to be reworked. I totally agree that major criminals should NOT be released to make room for small time criminals. I don't agree with the 'Three strikes and your out' policy. I understand that greater punishments should be given to repeat criminals, but having your judgment based on a sport (Baseball) is iffy at best. Keep in mind that there are companies that make, a lot, of money, to KEEP prisoners in prison.

As for entertainment, I feel that the only form for criminals is educational. This should include job education, keep in mind that 10 years in like 100 years in the information age. Think of all the things that has come out, or has improved, in the last 10 years, like cell phones, internet, and various jobs, like graphic designer, etc.

There are some crimes, that no matter how much the criminal has stopped being bad, and became a good 'law abiding' citizen, he should still pay for his crimes, like murder or rape, I still feel that just throwing away the key is not a very good solution, what I feel is better, is to take him to different cities to talk to high risk teens, and to low level criminals.

In America, the justice system is too criminal friendly. The rights of victims are being overlooked for the rights of criminals? It is messed up. How can a thief sue his victim for breaking his leg while robbing? There are sometimes conflicting rights, like free speech, and freedom from slander.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 6 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.6%

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Prison Systems

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,