Sheet Music

Sheet Music - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 2nd Dec, 2004 - 9:07pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 26th Nov, 2004 - 7:45am / Post ID: #

Sheet Music
A Friend

Sheet Music

Do you find it difficult to read?

I know the notes and how the dynamics work but I still struggle trying to play and pick it up at the same time.

Do you play better by ear?

Sponsored Links:
1st Dec, 2004 - 2:32pm / Post ID: #

Music Sheet

Absolutely. I am a music education major, and the reason I am not a piano performance major is that I do not sight read well. I have a very hard time playing things straight, even hymns. I like to play what sounds good, not what's on the page. Thus, my emphasis is voice, not piano.

The songwriter Michael McLean said that his mother would sometimes put ten dollars on the piano and tell him that he could have it if he would play a hymn of her choice from the book, without making mistakes or embellishing at all. He said he has never claimed the ten dollars.

Post Date: 2nd Dec, 2004 - 7:45pm / Post ID: #

Sheet Music
A Friend

Sheet Music Sports & Fashion Music Movies

Really? I have the same issue. I want to play what I like, what sounds nice to the ear... But I just can't sight read for anything. I'd rather know the song by heart in my head then to just play it only to forget it right after.

Lately, I've been trying to write my own music and put it down on paper, but even there I struggle. I'd just rather play it and love it.

2nd Dec, 2004 - 9:07pm / Post ID: #

Music Sheet

One thing that helps me to get my music on paper is to take my cheap GE tape recorder and sing and play the song, then play it back measure by measure, constantly rewinding and listening, and write out as accurately as possible the notes I played. The transcription will never sound exactly like my improvisation, but I figure an accurate transcription of the way I actually play is closer to the real thing than arranging something specifically for the page.

For entering the music into the computer, I use QuickScore Elite, a Windows 3.1 program that is completely obselete, but it meets my needs. Anybody here have a different program that they like? I bought Finale 2004, and it was the biggest mistake ever. The program can do many things, but the user interface is so inconvenient that I went back to my 10-year old program.

Anyway, I like to hear about others who have the same challenges in this area that I have. Best of luck!

> TOPIC: Sheet Music

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,