Margaret Brent: Us First Feminist

Margaret Brent Feminist - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 9th Feb, 2005 - 4:39am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

11th Dec, 2004 - 4:10pm / Post ID: #

Margaret Brent was born in 1601 in Gloucester, England. She was one of thirteen children born to Richard Brent, lord of Admington and Stoke, and his wife, Elizabeth Reed, the daughter of Edward Reed, lord of Tusburie and Witten, all of Gloucester.

The history of the Brent family of Stoke, can be traced to Ode Brent, a knight in the year 1066. Margaret's mother's family claims a descent to William the Conqueror.

Being excited at the resources of the new world, Margaret, along with her sister Mary and two brothers Giles and Fulke, set sail on the ship Charity from Plymouth England in early October 1638. They decided to travel to Maryland, arriving at dawn on November 22, 1638. As they entered the Potomac River, they traveled upriver, settling in St. Mary's City. Once in Maryland, their family political affiliations afforded them favors giving them the ability to obtain large land grants and high offices. Margaret's brother Giles had been to Jamestown, Virginia previously, and soon became one of Governor Leonard Calvert's trusted assistants.

Margaret, being a very strong-willed independent person went directly to Governor Leonard Calvert equipped with letters from Lord Baltimore which claimed large land portions and privileges for the Brent sisters. These land portions were as large as those granted to the first arrivals at St. Mary's City. Because the Brent's brought with them five men and four maid servants, they were entitled to eight hundred acres of land, under the rule of colonization inducements offered to women. However, because of the letters from Lord Baltimore, they were granted parcels much larger than the entitled eight hundred acres.

She was the first woman in the United States to ask for the right to vote but she was denied.

https://www.aboutfamouspeople.com/article1014.html

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 9th Feb, 2005 - 4:39am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Feminist Us Brent Margaret

What an interesting woman! The link that is posted didn't work for me, so I found some information on my own.

https://earlyamerica.com/review/1998/brent.html

She made such an impact, the named a middle school after her!

https://www.smcps.k12.md.us/mbms/profile.htm

All in all, not only did I not know how much of an impact she had on womens right to vote, but I hadn't even heard of her! Its amazing that we can get through school without hearing about her. I was enlightened and so was my wife, she loves reading about heros of womens rights.

> TOPIC: Margaret Brent: Us First Feminist

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,