Alexander The Great

Alexander Great - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 24th Jan, 2019 - 3:47pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

12th Dec, 2004 - 12:08am / Post ID: #

Alexander The Great

Alexander III, the king of Greece in 336 B.C, also called Alexander the great, is most known for his several conquests, most of them extremely successful and strategic effective.

He had accomplished greater conquests than any before him, but he did not have time to mold the government of the lands he had taken. Incontestably, he was one of the greatest generals of all time and one of the most powerful personalities of antiquity. He influenced the spread of Hellenism throughout the Middle East and into Asia, establishing city-states modeled on Greek institutions that flourished long after his death. There are many legends about him, e.g., his feats on his horse Bucephalus and his cutting of the Gordian knot. The famous Greek sculptor Lysippus did several studies of Alexander.

click here for more information about his kingship, conquests, death, and legacy.

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 24th Dec, 2004 - 3:01am / Post ID: #

Alexander The Great
A Friend

Great Alexander

Turns out that Alexander kept a copy of the Iliad under his pillow because he was so inspired by it and in one city he ordered all the structures to be destroyed except the temples and the home of the poet Pindar.

Post Date: 24th Dec, 2004 - 4:37am / Post ID: #

Alexander The Great
A Friend

Alexander The Great History & Civil Business Politics

My brief study of Alexander the Great paints less than a pretty picture of him.

From my understanding, he was prone to bursts of anger and even killed one of his close friends in a fit of rage. His pet philosopher (may have been Aristotle, maybe not) consoled him by saying that since he was the supreme ruler of the land, anything he did was altogether fine.

He was also supposedly a drunk, having an infatuation with wine. I wouldn't doubt that that would have some connection with his mood swings. I'm pretty sure it was his love of alcohol that ended up in his early death.

Hollywood recently glamorized his life, but it should be noted that he was altogether a tyrant and probably not the kind of guy you'd take a stroll down the beach with.

Reconcile Edited: rustedhope on 24th Dec, 2004 - 4:40am

Post Date: 24th Dec, 2004 - 4:53pm / Post ID: #

Alexander The Great
A Friend

Great Alexander

Well, Rusted, the movie didn't glamorize him as much as you think. It did, indeed, show his infatuation with alcohol and did show his narcissistic personality. Aristotle, fit to be his mentor, wasn't a large role in the movie although I wished they'd presented him more. By the end of the movie, many saw him as a tyrant indeed. But moreso, one of the great leaders of our past.

Good points, by the way and welcome to the world of International Discussions.

Post Date: 25th Dec, 2004 - 3:57am / Post ID: #

Alexander The Great
A Friend

Great Alexander

I have yet to see the movie, so I'm just basing my opinion on past movies. Maybe I'll check it out now. His relationship with Aristotle would definitely be interesting to see.

This thread reminded me of an essay choice for a college exam where Alexander would enter a 12-step program for megalomanic tyrants, hehe.

Post Date: 24th Jan, 2019 - 3:47pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Alexander The Great

New explanation for Alexander the Great's death. Did Alexander the Great meet his demise more than 2,300 years ago because of the neurological disorder Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS)? Source 8i.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Alexander The Great

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,