Ivan The Terrible.

Ivan Terrible - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 19th Apr, 2005 - 9:41am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

12th Dec, 2004 - 1:19am / Post ID: #

Ivan The Terrible.

Ivan IV, 1539 - 1584, czar of Russia, also known as Ivan the Terrible, was one of the most strict rulers of Russia, and the first one to formally assume the title czar.

As czar, Ivan attempted to establish czarist autocracy at the expense of boyar power. In the early years of his reign, he reduced the arbitrary powers of the boyar provincial governors, transferring their functions to locally elected officials.

In 1566, Ivan summoned what was probably the first general council of the realm (Zemsky Sobor), composed of representatives of different social ranks, including merchants and lower nobility. After reorganizing the army, Ivan conquered Kazan (1552) and Astrakhan (1556), thereby inaugurating Russia's eastward expansion. The conquest of Siberia by the Cossack Yermak took place late in his reign (1581-83). Ivan also began trade with England via the White Sea in the mid-1550s. To improve his access to the Baltic Sea, he undertook (1558) a campaign against Livonia. In the resulting war with Poland and Sweden, he was at first successful but was later defeated by Stephen báthory, king of Poland and Lithuania. The peace treaties (1582, 1583) forced the czar to renounce his territorial gains and cede additional territory to Sweden...

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

Sponsored Links:
8th Feb, 2005 - 1:21pm / Post ID: #

Terrible Ivan

The above does not qualify his subtitle 'Terrible' so I did some research. All did not see him as Terrible - some saw him as a Hero:

The name 'Ivan the Terrible' conjures up images of senseless cruelty and paranoia. Yet, for many in Russia, he is a national hero. Ivan appears to be a man of huge contradictions - a man of God who personally tortured his victims and beat his own son to death; a hardened despot who often behaved like a coward, asking his ally, Elizabeth I of England, for political asylum; a man who believed himself chosen to save the souls of his people, but who brutally put thousands to death in carefully orchestrated purges.
Ref. https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes/ivan/ivanmain.shtml

Seems like anyone that would personally torture their victims and kill his own son could never be a Hero in my eyes.

Ivan The Terrible.
Ivan The Terrible. (Hover)

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 19th Apr, 2005 - 9:41am / Post ID: #

Ivan The Terrible.
A Friend

Ivan The Terrible. History & Civil Business Politics

His nickname was The Dreadful in the Moscow Russia also and my nation calls him with a worse name at the present. The reason of this was his extraordinary cruelness when he gathered all the Slavic regions under the Moscow rule. There were hundreds and thousands of Russian people killed. He also killed hundreds of thousands men when he began conquering other nations of the East Europe lands.

I can't remember the Russian Tsar more cruel than him.

> TOPIC: Ivan The Terrible.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,