Radio Announcers, What's With The Us Accent?

Radio Announcers What' S Accent - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 30th Sep, 2006 - 1:15am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

15th Dec, 2004 - 11:47am / Post ID: #

I wrote a letter to the Trinidad Express (the most popular newspaper of Trinidad and Tobago) about how Radio announcers in Trinidad put on an American accent and try so hard to 'americanised' the market. To my surprise, I checked the newspaper online and my letter was there.

You can read my letter here:

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/ar...ion?id=50466460

Sponsored Links:
17th Dec, 2004 - 8:37pm / Post ID: #

Accent Us With Whats Announcers Radio

Excellent article, LDS_forever! No one could have said it better. I don't recall that being a problem when I lived there 10 years ago, so it would seem that this has been a recent phenomena. Of course, there weren't any American fast food stores there either except maybe for KFC. Now I hear there is McDonalds, Burger King and Taco Bell, along with others. That may have something to do with it. Other countries blame the US for being the way they are, but then they turn around and try to copy their culture whenever they can. Next thing they'll get rid of Carnival and have Mardi Gras instead, right? undecided.gif

18th Dec, 2004 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

Radio Announcers, What's With The Us Accent? Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Thanks Malexander, I did not expect them to print it so fast. I got a real copy from a friend, I was looking down the pages to see my article...and I could not find it because it was at the top, in the best place for letters to the editor!

You would be surprised to see how Americanised Trinidad have become... let me clarify that I do not have ANYTHING against the US and its culture. I find it very silly that people from other countries want to be like someone else...this US accent is becoming so common that some of my students are getting me really annoyed about it. I don't know why! what's wrong with the Trini accent?

Offtopic but,
Mc Donalds closed down some years ago (You want a Trini to pay the same price of a roti for a burger? I wish we have Taco Bell, I would be there 24/7!

18th Dec, 2004 - 12:35pm / Post ID: #

I find it very silly that people from other countries want to be like someone else...this US accent is becoming so common that some of my students are getting me really annoyed about it. I don't know why! what's wrong with the Trini accent?

I find this interesting because believe it or not we have a similar situation in the US. There is not just one US accent. I have a very definate New England accent. If I travel outside of New England, everyone can easily identify me as from New England. In addition, the Southern accent is quite well defined.

Yet, the news broadcasters in New England and in the South, never have this accent. It isn't considered professsional some how! It is as though we all are afraid of individuality! We want to all blend together as one.

20th Jul, 2006 - 3:56am / Post ID: #

This is a great topic, on an issue that has been pulling on my last nerve for several years now.

I understand that radio announcers must be well understood by the general public, including foreigners who are tuning in. However, the last time I checked, there was a difference between enunciating words and blatantly putting on an accent!

Which part of Trinbago tongue includes changing the letter "T" to a "D"?
And is the letter "R" sooo important, that it must be stressed to such an extent? rolleyes.gif

I think this is a symptom of the lack of patriotism Trinbagonians have for our country. The way we speak and live is never good enough, thus the reason for everyone dying to migrate, even if it means living in squalor in another country.

Our dialect is unique and beautiful. No matter what country you go to, you can always spot a Trini accent. It is our identity, and whoever is promoting this change in our speech via media, as far as I am concerned, is messing with this identity.

Post Date: 30th Sep, 2006 - 1:15am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Well said, cookie!

People everywhere that I've traveled have complimented me on my accent, a Spanish-speaking diplomat's wife once told me that she wished that when she became fluent in English, she could sound like me (lovely compliment).

There's a vast difference, between talking dialect, and speaking properly in our native accent. I would find it odd for a news reporter for example, to speak in dialect, however our local accent using proper English, is beautiful and should never be scorned.

I remember speaking to the Corporate Communications Manager at a prominent Insurance company, asking why their Road Safety Mascot, who was supposed to be a born & bred Trini, needed a British accent (of all things)?

He said, so it would be accepted across the region. Well, how can you argue with that (lack of) logic?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Radio Announcers, What's With The Us Accent?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,