Another Mormon Connection To A Heinous Crime - Page 5 of 14

Tortdog: QUOTE But that second instance is - Page 5 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 30th Aug, 2007 - 11:56am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (14) »
Post Date: 29th Aug, 2007 - 4:22pm / Post ID: #

Another Mormon Connection To A Heinous Crime
A Friend

Another Mormon Connection To A Heinous Crime - Page 5

Before I respond, I'm seeking clarification. What about discussion of an issue with allegations of child molestation. Is that appropriate in this discussion or do you believe that is "off topic"?

Sponsored Links:
29th Aug, 2007 - 4:34pm / Post ID: #

Crime Heinous To Connection Mormon Another

Yes, it is good to discuss it here. Go ahead. Those are heinous crimes.

Post Date: 29th Aug, 2007 - 4:41pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Another Mormon Connection To A Heinous Crime Studies Doctrine Mormon

What about a case in which one becomes aware of a person against whom there are allegations of sexual misconduct with a minor. Does the Church:

* ban that person from any Primary/youth function
* ban that person from having any contact with any children or youth
* announce to Primary/youth leaders of the allegations and give instructions on whether he can be present at functions
* announce to the ward membership ...

The danger is these are allegations. Nothing has been proven. But sometimes a serious allegation might be enough to warrant precautions/warnings. The problem with such acts is that one could easily trespass into slander, which is actionable. The Church might also be responsible for damaging the reputation of an innocent man.

I don't know the answers to this question.

29th Aug, 2007 - 4:45pm / Post ID: #

Page 5 Crime Heinous To Connection Mormon Another

I believe the Church does number 1 to 3 (I never saw doing number 4) in situations where there is no doubt the offense took place either by confession or was taken to the police who determined the individual indeed abused a child/children. I do not agree with "I think he/she did it". There must be PROOF before taking any type of action. At the mean time, it is within the Church discretion to take whatever measures they need until the conflict is solved.

Post Date: 29th Aug, 2007 - 4:50pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Crime Heinous To Connection Mormon Another

There must be PROOF before taking any type of action. At the mean time, it is within the Church discretion to take whatever measures they need until the conflict is solved.

So in a case where it's one kid's word against another person, you do what? That's the most common and problematic case. You have a child claiming a person did something (could be another kid) and then you have to decide what to do with that information.

In Texas, legally you have to report it to the authorities. They investigate and may very well conclude that there is not sufficient proof to move forward. At that point, it's up to the parents of the "victim" to prosecute via civil litigation.

We have such an instance. It's one family against another. There has been an investigation which resulted in nothing concrete. So what does the Church do? Tell the world? Tell leaders?

Really tough situation to be in. But, hey, I'm just the EQ president,* so not my worry. Though it is interesting to watch the poor bishop squirm.

*Currently training several others to be EQ president so I can go back to Scouting.

Reconcile Edited: tortdog on 29th Aug, 2007 - 4:51pm

29th Aug, 2007 - 5:24pm / Post ID: #

Tortdog:

So in a case where it's one kid's word against another person, you do what? That's the most common and problematic case. You have a child claiming a person did something (could be another kid) and then you have to decide what to do with that information.

Nothing to decide, as far as I know it is the policy NOW, to contact the relevant authorities.

In the case where there is not enough "evidence" I think leadership should be cautious (predators cannot help themselves and they usually "attack" again) so it won't be too long until you hear of another allegation.

Personally as a mom, I won't commune in the same Branch/Ward of someone who abused my kid even if it was not proven.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Aug, 2007 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Another Mormon Connection To Heinous Crime - Page 5

In the case where there is not enough "evidence" I think leadership should be cautious (predators cannot help themselves and they usually "attack" again) so it won't be too long until you hear of another allegation.

But that second instance is too late. That means a second kid's life is potentially ruined, all because you gambled and didn't act to protect him from the "potential." See the problem?

Personally as a mom, I won't commune in the same Branch/Ward of someone who abused my kid even if it was not proven.

And that happens. Of course, in the Church that presents a problem. If that person who you cannot commune with continues to attend your ward meetings your only real choice is (I) go inactive or (ii) move. That's unfortunate as you are the innocent party.

30th Aug, 2007 - 11:56am / Post ID: #

Another Mormon Connection To Heinous Crime Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 5

Tortdog:

But that second instance is too late. That means a second kid's life is potentially ruined, all because you gambled and didn't act to protect him from the "potential." See the problem?

Yes, I see it. That's why I said it is within the power of the local leadership to prayerfully consider what action should be taken.

And that happens. Of course, in the Church that presents a problem. If that person who you cannot commune with continues to attend your ward meetings your only real choice is (I) go inactive or (ii) move. That's unfortunate as you are the innocent party.

I am seeing this right now (not in a child abuse case but several fraud cases) in my Branch/District. It is heartbreaking to see the "victims" sitting down in the same are as the "predator". The saddest part is to see the same person talking to "potential" victims and nothing is being done about it to stop it (and he continues doing his "business deals" over and over and over) because he is not longer a member yet he comes to Church every Sunday to look for "victims". It literally makes me sick.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (14) »

> TOPIC: Another Mormon Connection To A Heinous Crime

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,