Buenos Aires Club Fire Kills 175

Buenos Aires Club Fire Kills 175 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 9th Jan, 2005 - 9:04pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

31st Dec, 2004 - 10:34pm / Post ID: #

I'm extremely sad because of this, after all, is my city and my country. The Argentinian government declared 3 days of national mourning. There will be no New Year's celebrations, dances or shows out of respect for the victims and their families. Oh gosh, 2004....what a terrible year.

From CNN.com:

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina -- Emergency exits at a nightclub packed with teenagers were padlocked or wired shut when a flare ignited the foam ceiling, sparking a blaze that killed 175 people and injured more than 700, survivors and officials said Friday.

Some 4,000 fans at a Thursday night concert by the band Los Callejeros fought to reach the exits as burning debris fell on them.

But they found at least four escape routes locked in an apparent effort to prevent people from entering the club without paying, Buenos Aires Mayor Anibal Ibarra said.

"Had they been open, we surely would have avoided a lot of deaths," Ibarra said, calling the locked doors at the Republica de la Cromagnon disco an "irresponsible act."....

https://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/12/...e.ap/index.html

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
2nd Jan, 2004 - 12:21am / Post ID: #

Kills Fire Club Aires Buenos

Yet another tragedy involving locked exits in a South American country. The first one I recall was in a supermarket in Paraguay where the doors were locked to prevent looting. This time the owner claims the emergency exits were locked to prevent non-paying participants from entering the club. It also seems the club was overcrowded since some 714 people were injured in addition to the 175 that tragically died. The building capacity was 1500 and it was believed 4000+ people were in there. How many more tragedies must occur for people to begin following the rules and restrictions that will prevent them from happening?

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

2nd Jan, 2004 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

Buenos Aires Club Fire Kills 175 History & Civil Business Politics

Another example of greed, pure and simple. Rather than locking the doors, how about posting bouncers or guards there? They had to have had them inside, why not outside the doors to prevent non-paying people from entering?

Their greed has now put them out of business, rather than putting money in their pockets. It's tragic that so many people had to pay for these club owners' stupidity.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

2nd Jan, 2004 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

How many more tragedies must occur for people to begin following the rules and restrictions that will prevent them from happening?

They do not care, that's the whole thing. The owner of this club in Buenos Aires for instance did not show up to the police right away, he was afraid to end up in jail and he will!. They do not care about the lives of people, all they care about is money. I also read that there were pregnant women and also children in there, because some families did not have anybody to leave the children with, they improvised a day-care in the ladies's bathroom! CRAZY!!! *shaking head*

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 9th Jan, 2005 - 9:04pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

It is sad because there are constantly reports of incidents like these happening. Usually, they can always be avoided, at least to an extent. I think it was a few years ago something of that sort happened in California. I could be wrong, but it's been awhile.

> TOPIC: Buenos Aires Club Fire Kills 175

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,