[news]biological Mother Wins Custody Dispute

- Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 15th Jan, 2005 - 3:19pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

31st Dec, 2004 - 10:48pm / Post ID: #

Do you think it is fair?. I think is terrible and very unfair for those parents who have raised the child since he was born, not to mention the trauma this child will experience...what in the world this judge was thinking??? *shaking head*

From CNN.com:

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (AP) -- A 31/2-year-old boy at the center of a three-way custody battle was handed over to his biological mother, leaving the couple who had been raising him since his birth in tears.

Evan Scott's mother, Amanda Hopkins, who had won a court battle, picked up the boy Thursday for a "transitional visit" to his new home. Hopkins lives on a Navy base in Illinois with her husband and infant daughter.

Dawn and Gene Scott, who have cared for the boy since his birth in May 2001, are still seeking to overturn a judge's order denying them custody.

"I know he is confused," Dawn Scott said in an interview Friday on NBC's "Today." "I know he didn't understand all this turmoil happening in his life right now."..

https://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/12/31/toddler....y.ap/index.html

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 31st Dec, 2004 - 10:49pm

Sponsored Links:
31st Dec, 2004 - 11:27pm / Post ID: #

Dispute Custody Wins Mother newsbiological

The sad part about this whole story is the confusion that this little boy must be going through. While I understand what the adults are trying to accomplish, they have to realize that the child is having to suffer because of their 'problems'. It seems the biological father was never made aware of the fact that he had a son until recently, which is why he has chosen to fight for custody. This supports my belief that there should be a two-parent agreement for all adoptions, unless one of both of the parents are deceased. This way a mother cannot hide her pregnancy from the father and privately give up the baby for adoption unless the biological father is made aware of it and agrees. It will help all involved in the long run.

31st Dec, 2004 - 11:33pm / Post ID: #

[news]biological Mother Wins Custody Dispute Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I agree with you Maleaxander, but I think the judge ruling was NOT the best for the child. I am from the thinking that if you are willing to give up your child then too bad! do not come after almost 4 years and pretend to get the child back!. It is extremely painful for all parts, specially for the child and the adoptive parents.

31st Dec, 2004 - 11:57pm / Post ID: #

While at this point, I can't imagine how difficult this will be for the boy and for his adoptive parents, there is another side to consider. He was born in May. The petition was filed in July of that same year...2001...to block the adoption. The adoption wasn't going to become final under the law until August. Adoption law allows a period of time for the parties giving up the child to change their minds before it becomes legal. The reason the child has reached an age where he will be so adversly affected is because his adoptive parents chose to fight what the law allows. If they had given him back as required by the law, the child, at least, would not have suffered anywhere near the extent he will suffer now.

So, it doesn't look like his parents waited three years to come get him. The father didn't know about the pregnancy initially and filed for custody as soon as he found out. At that point, the boy was only 2 months old.

What I think is unfair is that the mother decided she wanted the child only because she didn't want the father to get him. That doesn't seem right to me.

Now, having said all that, I can't imagine what this little boy is going to suffer or his adoptive parents. When the lawsuit was first filed, he probably should have been removed from his adoptive parents home and put in foster care until the case could be resolved. It also seems to me, that at this point the adoptive parents should have been given liberal visitation as well, not just the father.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 1st Jan, 2004 - 12:00am

1st Jan, 2004 - 12:10am / Post ID: #

Thanks for the explanation Tena. It makes more sense. I guess the adoptive parents thought they would have a chance to get the child back, I would probably do the same in a situation like that. sad.gif I'm heartbroken thinking what that child is going through.

15th Jan, 2005 - 3:19pm / Post ID: #

It's just so sad that people use their children to hurt others. It makes me want to scream. And the children stuck in the middle are the ones that are hurt the most.

Offtopic but,
My son's girlfriend was the victim of something similar - her dad's girlfriend said she would not marry him if she had to live with his daughter. So he gave her up for adoption at the age of 12 years old! It makes me sick. And the father? Still not married to this girlfriend 8 years later.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: [news]biological Mother Wins Custody Dispute

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,