Teaching Against Darwin - Page 3 of 5

I agree with JMississippi. The schools and - Page 3 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 1st Apr, 2005 - 7:53pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Atheist - Atheism
Teaching Against Darwin Related Information to Teaching Against Darwin
16th Mar, 2005 - 3:59am / Post ID: #

Teaching Against Darwin - Page 3

QUOTE (JPQuiceno @ 15-Mar 05, 6:38 PM)
Atheism isn't a religion.

Actually, it is. Its first article of faith is that there is no God. Since an atheist would be unlikely to claim that he or she knows everything about the universe that there is to know, then to deny that there is God or any other supernatural being hidden in the vast amount of information that the atheist does not know takes a much bigger act of faith than for a religious person to claim that there is a God in the little amount of information that he or she does have.

Now I understand the whole intelligent designer theory, but just because someone has some theory and wants it to be taught, that don't mean it should.

But that is exactly what is happening with the theory of macroevolution! Some people have a theory, that is full of holes, that is taught as fact to impressionable people. Despite the fact that firm belief (and yes, I certainly do mean belief) in this theory is held by a minority of the people in the United States, and that belief in some sort of Intelligent Design is held by a vast majority of the people, Macroevolution is taught in schools, and Intelligent Design is forbidden in most.

As others have shown here, Intelligent Design, while compatible with most religions, is not tied to any. So, what valid objection is there to teaching it as an alternative to Macroevolution?

Sponsored Links:
16th Mar, 2005 - 5:44am / Post ID: #

Darwin Teaching

Smudge- at this point I honestly feel that there is no reasonable way to avoid teaching religion in schools

Well, maybe the theory itself of intelligent design should be taught, but that is very different from the religion being taught. The religion involves all of the particulars about the god and the history of the people, the ten commandments or anything else that comes with your religion. It would certainly not fit in science if somewhere at school. In Israel I had bible classes, that focused on the analysis of the bible, and also compared the two viewpoints. What would fit in science is simply the theory that some intelligent being made us, not saying who or when or how or what followed.

Can one really argue that teaching atheism in schools respects separation of church and state?

It isn't exactly atheism that is taught. the teachers aren't just saying there is no god, period. They teach the whole theory of evolution, which isn't included in the atheist belief.

Post Date: 16th Mar, 2005 - 11:22am / Post ID: #

Teaching Against Darwin
A Friend

Teaching Against Darwin UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

There are theories of intelligent design that do not include God at all. There are beliefs out there that state that another race or being populated our planet. Intelligent design being taught in school can teach it without religion as its center point. In fact, logical reasoning, through lack of macroevolutionary proof, tells us that something or someone most likely started the human species. Whether that be God or another race or what have you could be left up to the student as opposed to the teacher inserting their opinion. Year ago when the theory of evolution was beginning to be taught, there was the belief that they where just years away from a decisive knowledge of macroevolution, complete with in between evolutions and the like. But the problem is that they never found the proof. They are still looking for any proof at all that any type of macro evolution ever happened. They should be teaching both unprovable theories.

Post Date: 21st Mar, 2005 - 11:25pm / Post ID: #

Teaching Against Darwin
A Friend

Page 3 Darwin Teaching

Nighthawk, in my opinion you are dead wrong. Of course an atheist doesn't know everything, neither does a believer, or anyone else. But Atheist don't have faith, they have facts which they observe which have come to us through the scientific method, and to our best understanding as a scientific community take it as true. Thats all science is, an understanding of the things that surround us to the BEST of OUR knowledge.

As to Evolution being taught in schools as a FACT? That is ridiculous! I myself am a 10th grader in highschool, and before beginning evolution in biology, my teacher said this is a theory, which is based on scientific observations, not on beliefs or stories. They never said that evolution is fact, and if anyone here has heard or knows of someone who teaches in public schools and has said so, please report it immediately to the local authorities! wink.gif

22nd Mar, 2005 - 3:50am / Post ID: #

Darwin Teaching

In my opinion, it should be required in schools to have a counterpoint to Evolutionism. If that's the *only* subject taught about how the world works, then that is a completely unbalanced view of things! Evolution is an interesting theory, but it has never been proven. It just sounded good to a bunch of scientists, and has been making history ever since. Intelligent Design Theory should also be taught, and as "critical thinking" is one of the major points of education, let each student decide for himself.

Certainly, schools can teach "religion" from a social standpoint -- what it is, what it means to different groups of people. That doesn't mean that they are teaching "how to practice" religion of any kind; they are merely teaching that there *is* such a thing, and that it comes in various forms.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

Offtopic but,
But Atheist don't have faith, they have facts which they observe which have come to us through the scientific method

Please, JP -- show me the scientific method used to PROVE atheism?
and to our best understanding as a scientific community take it as true.

From this post and others I've read, you have quite a lot of "faith" in the scientific method and the scientific community, JP. One thing I've learned about science is, there is a lot more that we *don't know* than we *do know* -- and the more we learn, the more we realize that we *don't know*... I would caution you to be very careful what you put your faith in. But that will come with time, you're young yet.

Post Date: 22nd Mar, 2005 - 4:10am / Post ID: #

Teaching Against Darwin
A Friend

Teaching Against Darwin

In my opinion, I don't think religion should be taught from a social stand point, but should be taught from a historical view point, as in history class and etc.

Offtopic but,
Farseer: Prove atheism? What do you mean by that? I don't understand as to how one goes about "proving" atheism. I don't have "Faith" in atheism, I and other atheist use the scientific method to test and exam things, then conclude ourselves through observation if they are true or not, if thy exist or not, and such.

As in the definition: (Dictionary.Com)

Faith-

Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See Synonyms at belief. See Synonyms at trust.
Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.
often Faith Christianity. The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.
A set of principles or beliefs.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 1st Apr, 2005 - 12:38pm / Post ID: #

Teaching Against Darwin
A Friend

Teaching Darwin - Page 3

I do not believe that there should be any counterpoint to the evolutionary theory taught in schools. If we DID teach some type of counterpoint, it would have to be another type of well accepted scientific theory, not any type of faith-based theory. I believe when the education system was set up, evolution WAS the counterpoint. The separation of church and state means that the government is not going to try and force YOU to believe what THEY or the predominate religion believes. By teaching creationalism or intelligent placement, then the government would place emphasis on one faith based idea more than another. Since we obviously can't teach all religious counterpoints to evolution, we should just teach none and do what our parents did. We should be parents and be the counterpoint to our kids' education.

I mean how many people really went into school to learn about evolution and didn't have some kind of previous knowledge about a creationalist idea?

JMississippi

1st Apr, 2005 - 7:53pm / Post ID: #

Teaching Darwin Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 3

I agree with JMississippi. The schools and church are two different bodies, each doing it's own teaching. If religious views will be inserted in schools then it's only right that scientific ones will be introduced in the church. If another view will be taught in science, then it has to be scientific.

One thing I've learned about science is, there is a lot more that we *don't know* than we *do know* -- and the more we learn, the more we realize that we *don't know*

I agree. Nothing is absolute about science. Theories are proven wrong and placed with others, which in turn are also proven wrong. But in my opinion, we don't always have to have the truth and the explanation to the world and our living. To me, as long as I am alive, it is not material how I became so.

Message Edited!
Fixed the closing quote tag

Reconcile Edited: funbikerchick on 2nd Apr, 2005 - 11:30am

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Teaching Against Darwin

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,