Teaching Against Darwin - Page 4 of 5

KANSAS DEVALUES EVOLUTION Revisiting a topic - Page 4 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 9th Nov, 2005 - 4:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Atheist - Atheism
Teaching Against Darwin Related Information to Teaching Against Darwin
2nd Apr, 2005 - 11:43am / Post ID: #

Teaching Against Darwin - Page 4

I believe when the education system was set up, evolution WAS the counterpoint.

This statement is simply not correct! The education system was set up long before Darwin's theory of evolution was ever taught in school. This theory wasn't taught in US Schools until the 20th century.

Also, let's remember that "Intelligent Design" and "Creationism" are not the same thing. For example, my dog is a miniature Dauschhund. He is a result of intelligent design. This breed came about by deliberate actions to design a smaller animal that could get into the smaller burrows than the larger Dauschhund. Even the larger breed of dauschund was designed by breeding other varieties of dog to get one with short legs, long tail and long body to burrow into animal burrows. That can be taught without teaching that God created all dogs. He didn't directly create this particular breed.

Science cannot be sure something like that didn't happen to create humans. Although, I may call that person who did this design God, it doesn't necessarily have to follow that this is only way intelligent design could have been accomplished.

Sponsored Links:
3rd Apr, 2005 - 9:48pm / Post ID: #

Darwin Teaching

Smudge said:

If religious views will be inserted in schools then it's only right that scientific ones will be introduced in the church. If another view will be taught in science, then it has to be scientific.

I'm not talking about teaching religious views, but religious topics -- for example, the different types of religion from a "scientific" or objective viewpoint. And I do believe that Intelligent Design *is* a different scientific approach or theory to how the world and its inhabitants may have been created. Why can't that be taught alongside the theory of Evolution? Again, if we want our future citizens to be critical thinkers, we need to present counterpoints to learning about theories. What's so wrong about that?

And I'm not sure that I understand your point that scientific views have to be introduced in church, that "it's only right." Why would that be the logical next step? The government doesn't control most churches, and what is taught there is based upon scriptural teachings and faith. However, science sometimes does provide proof, in my opinion, of Intelligent Design.

JMississippi said:
By teaching creationalism or intelligent placement, then the government would place emphasis on one faith based idea more than another.
Why would that be any more emphatic than the Evolution theory currently preached in schools?
Since we obviously can't teach all religious counterpoints to evolution, we should just teach none and do what our parents did. We should be parents and be the counterpoint to our kids' education.
In a perfect world, that might be the case, and I hope that my kids would have enough respect for me as their parent to understand and appreciate what I'm teaching. However, it's not perfect. My parents didn't teach me about Intelligent Design, or even Creationism, and I believed what I was taught in school about Evolution -- until I began to study the bible on my own.

What I'm saying is, if the government run school system insists on presenting a one-sided view of how the world came to be, that is unbalanced. Our school systems should teach *both sides* of the issue.

3rd Apr, 2005 - 10:01pm / Post ID: #

Teaching Against Darwin UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I'm not talking about teaching religious views, but religious topics -- for example, the different types of religion from a "scientific" or objective viewpoint.

That, I think, is perfectly fine. But any one religion should not be taught. A study of the several religions, in my opinion, would not fit in science but rather in history, because of the effect of religions on cultures, or in literature because of the many literary devices used.

Post Date: 30th Aug, 2005 - 5:55pm / Post ID: #

Teaching Against Darwin
A Friend

Page 4 Darwin Teaching

Actually, for me, science isn't too far away from religion. Both systems are based on belief and total adherence to axioms (such as the existence of laws in nature and the existence of God, respectively), whoever they may be. As a closed mathematical system, which is created on whichever axioms one might choose that are compatible with each other, religion, as well as science, reach certain conclusions, logical in the frame of their axioms. All human understanding lays on belief. I believe therefore I am. No human conclusion has ever been reached with complete lack of fallacy or without using any axioms. You can never be sure about the truthfulness of any axiom, since it is chosen almost randomly, and thus you can never be sure about the truthfulness of a system and a conclusion resulting from it. That's my opinion however, I try to be agnostic in all aspects of my life...

Post Date: 1st Sep, 2005 - 5:12pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Darwin Teaching

Poll: Public Divided on Evolution

AP - Americans are divided over whether humans and other living things evolved over time or have existed in their present form since the beginning of time, according to a new poll.
Ref. https://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ching_evolution

Post Date: 1st Sep, 2005 - 5:52pm / Post ID: #

Teaching Against Darwin
A Friend

Teaching Against Darwin

From Article:

"What the poll reflects is the power of the idea of fairness in American culture," she said. "We feel strongly we should always hear both sides."

I am glad more people are realizing this. It's not a matter of shoving it down the throats of students and telling them to "think this way"... it's about educating them on the ideals that are out there in the world.

JMississippi:
By teaching creationalism or intelligent placement, then the government would place emphasis on one faith based idea more than another.

These are my thoughts exactly... if you're going to teach one, you need to teach the other.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
10th Sep, 2005 - 3:01am / Post ID: #

Teaching Darwin - Page 4

Someone has already hit the nail on the head. There is a definite difference between the two approaches. One allow the use of the scientific method, the other fills in blanks with you just have to have faith. If intelligent design is taught is should be done in philosophy not in science since it is not. There is also the belief that perhaps an intelligent designer is shaping the method of selection or evolution. There is no doubt that creatures evolve and have selective breeding. There may be some driving force behind these events.

Wyldehorse

Post Date: 9th Nov, 2005 - 4:36pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Teaching Darwin Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 4

KANSAS DEVALUES EVOLUTION

Revisiting a topic that exposed Kansas to nationwide ridicule six years ago, the state Board of Education approved science standards for public schools Tuesday that cast doubt on the theory of evolution.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C3949%2C%2C00.html

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Teaching Against Darwin

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,