How A Steam Locomotive Works

How Steam Locomotive Works - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 9th Feb, 2005 - 4:02am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

11th Jan, 2005 - 1:06am / Post ID: #

We usually think of trains merely as a means of transportation, but did you ever think of how it actually works. Here's a nice article explaining it do detail:

Unlike modern machines, the steam locomotive - which underwent few fundamental changes in 125 years of development - openly displays many of its parts. This mechanical honesty has long captivated onlookers and invited study, but many still wonder just how it all works. In fact, entire books have been devoted to the subject. There are two basic areas of activity on a steam locomotive: the boiler where steam is made, and the engine (cylinders, rods, and driving wheels) where steam is used. The essential action of any steam engine, stationary or mobile, is that of steam under pressure (200-300 PSI for most locomotives) entering a cylinder-piston assembly and pushing against the piston as it expands in an effort to reach normal atmospheric pressure...

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 9th Feb, 2005 - 1:52am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Works Locomotive Steam How

Honestly, I never had any interest steam engines. After reading the information of the site you posted, I have a new found appreciation for the inventors on the steam engine. It is truly an interesting plight reading how they came up with the final result of the steam engine. I read about the multiple injuries that occurred during the testing of various engine types before the final product began to be used. Very interesting, if you want to learn something new, this is a good place to learn.

Post Date: 9th Feb, 2005 - 2:49am / Post ID: #

A Friend

How A Steam Locomotive Works Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

steam engines are pretty cool, especially when you get to help build one! (unfortunately the one I got to help build was a miniature version). My dad's interests are in trains, and he showed me several pics of him working on the real ones...they are fun and actually quite interesting to look at and see how everything works.

Post Date: 9th Feb, 2005 - 4:02am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Works Locomotive Steam How

I didnt know you could build miniature steam engines. That sounds very interesting, I would like to do that some time. Any hints on where to start, I do enjoy building models, is the process similiar?

> TOPIC: How A Steam Locomotive Works

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,