The Family: A Proclamation To The World

The Family Proclamation World - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd Aug, 2005 - 3:05am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 13th Jan, 2005 - 10:27pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

From The Family: A Proclamation to the World:

Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. "Children are an heritage of the Lord" (Psalms 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives-mothers and fathers-will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.

How do we achieve the goal of teaching our children all of these things? I would really like to hear from others what they do in their parenting that works for them, as far as teaching them the gospel. Any other comments on the Proclamation on the Family?

You can read the Proclamation on the Family by clicking the website below:

https://ldsfaq.byu.edu/view.asp?q=198

Sponsored Links:
15th Jan, 2005 - 4:40pm / Post ID: #

World To Proclamation Family The

The best teacher is example, for my daughter. She wants to see that I'm following what I teach her, and if I step out of the bounds that she's been taught, she lets me know immediately! Line upon line, precept on precept. Only what she's capable of understanding and following at her age. Most of the gospel she won't learn until she's older, but for now I can teach her, by words and example, to love others; serve when she sees a need; pay tithing; give generously to those in need; pray; read the scriptures; be obedient, patient, and kind; forgive others.

We're currently beginning to discuss repentance and baptism, since she will be 8 in September. I don't harp on it, but I let her know that she can tell Heavenly Father how sorry she is if she's done something wrong, and he will forgive her. And that it is between her and God -- He sees all, even if she didn't get "caught" doing something by me or another adult.

There are so many things she needs to know, and it can't all be learned at once. I'm trying to begin a lifelong process for her to search and learn and let the Lord lead her. And pray for help all along the way smile.gif

Roz

Post Date: 15th Jan, 2005 - 5:59pm / Post ID: #

The Family: A Proclamation To The World Studies Doctrine Mormon

"I believe our problems, almost every one, arise out of the homes of the people. If there is to be reformation, if there is to be a change, if there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured."

(Gordon B. Hinckley, "Walking in the Light of the Lord," Ensign, Nov. 1998, 99)

23rd Aug, 2005 - 2:24am / Post ID: #

I am not bashing the method, but I have to wonder... is it necessary to take an actual course when you can simply sit down with your spouse and study the scriptures, share stories and talk? After all didn't the professor indicate below that the best tips is praying together each day. Does one need a course to do that?

STRENGTHENING MARRIAGE IS HOT TOPIC AT EDUCATION WEEK
See https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600157228,00.html

PROVO, Utah - Newlyweds, grandparents, and couples in between annually flock to Brigham Young University's annual Education Week hoping to improve their marriages by taking classes. Some 15 percent of the 1,100 classes offered last week focused on family and marriage relationships. The best tip, said BYU professor Brent Barlow, is from President Gordon B. Hinckley, who said the best thing couples can do to maintain their relationship is pray together each day.

23rd Aug, 2005 - 2:35am / Post ID: #

Some folks may feel at "the end of their rope" when it comes to their marriage, and find that taking a structured class or workshop helps them to find new ways to be attentive, solve problems, initiate discussion, and even how to prompt their spouse to remembrance of marital convenants. What do you do when your spouse doesn't want to pray together, or study the scriptures, or even talk?

Not all marriages are optimal; some of us have to work harder at it. smile.gif

23rd Aug, 2005 - 2:46am / Post ID: #

I knew someone would reply with such an answer wink.gif, but I guess my focus is based on already doing things beforehand. For instance, the old adage; 'A Family That Prays Together, Stays Together' is still true during both the good and bad times, and seems to be promoted even more urgently now. If there was a couple doing this (praying) from the start, could they have reached the stage that a course from a stranger would be needed to help them? Also, I cannot see how such a course would do much if both did not take it and learn from it or how it would replace talking with each other. I often find that a family built on the Gospel cannot falter and that when it does shake, it usually is based about something in the beginning like lack of compatability, different goals and other things that should have been spoken about BEFORE the family was formed. If however, you decide to create a family in which your spouse sees things totally different to you then it does not matter how many courses or prayers you say - it is going to be a rough ride.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd Aug, 2005 - 2:53am / Post ID: #

The Family Proclamation To World

There are instances where the marriage starts out wonderfully, but something happens along the way. Depression, growing apart for one reason or another, life events and changes can cause "damage" to the marriage relationship. Sometimes even just having kids can change the relationship so much that one spouse finds themself faltering.... In a perfect world, the Gospel solves all such problems; unfortunately, we don't live there.

Offtopic but,
I so appreciate your dedication and diligence within your marriage, JB, and would hope to find someone with similar values someday smile.gif Your dear family is so blessed!

23rd Aug, 2005 - 3:05am / Post ID: #

The Family Proclamation To World Mormon Doctrine Studies

Yes, I understand that element and one or should I say both partners need to quickly find out what is the cause before further breakdown occurs. I honestly believe that if it is not nipped in the bud right away it can lead to further havoc down the road. Too often I have seen families in the 'shrug shoulder' syndrome where they do not care about a 'little' discrepancy happening about / with their spouse. Then like everything else that is given chance to take root, it grows, becomes bigger and then it overwhelms the marriage and family until it is too late. As an example I knew a Sister that so badly wanted to please her husband that she would let him develop bad habits that were not in relation to the Proclamation, shortly time passed and his bad habits became demands and then at last he falls terribly to the ultimate sin that breaks up fidelity in marriage.

Offtopic but,
Thanks Farseer, but do not think we are all peaches and roses, it takes a lot of work to keep our marriage going, especially because of our circumstances, hence I talk from experience.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: The Family: A Proclamation To The World

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,