Ashamed: Your Country's History?

Ashamed Country' S History - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 19th Mar, 2005 - 7:52pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Ashamed: Your Country's History? Related Information to Ashamed: Your Country's History?
Post Date: 19th Jan, 2005 - 7:31pm / Post ID: #

Most nations have a checkered past. Is there something in your country's history that makes you ashamed for the choices that were made? For example some Germans are ashamed about WWII. Do you find yourself overlooking it or do you actively campaign to ensure your country does not make / cause that event to happen again?

"We must not allow ourselves to become like the system we oppose. We cannot afford to use methods of which we will be ashamed when we look back, when we say, '...we shouldn't have done that.'
-- Desmond Tutu

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 23rd Jan, 2005 - 9:04am / Post ID: #

A Friend

History Countrys Ashamed

Absolutely. In my, the United States approval of slavery was absolutely the darkest part of my countries history. I have a hard time understanding how the forfathers of my country could call themselves God fearing men yet still approval of such a brutal act as forced slavery. And the acts that went on in the treatment of slaves was especially atrocious. It is something to be ashamed of, but even more, it is something to make sure our children never forget the tragedy and never let it happen again. We of the United States need to always fight for the freedom of men, women, and children of all races, cultures, and religions.

23rd Jan, 2005 - 10:52am / Post ID: #

Ashamed: Your Country's History? History & Civil Business Politics

QUOTE (Neo @ 19-Jan 05, 8:31 PM)
For example some Germans are ashamed about WWII.

I'd say most Germans are ashamed about it. But I am 100% that something like this will never happen again in Germany. Schools do everything possible to teach children why something like this could ever have happened and how to avoid that something like this ever happens again. Sure, there are always some nutjobs that embrace the past, but they are only a minority of outcasts that no one pays attention to, unless to protest against them.

Reconcile Edited: Pheidon on 23rd Jan, 2005 - 10:53am

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 21 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 2.1%

23rd Jan, 2005 - 11:30am / Post ID: #

History Countrys Ashamed

My country as an Independent people has not existed long. There is nothing we did on a big scale to be ashamed of except for complacency. I am most ashamed of the complacent attitude of the people and this may be because of their lack of having to fight for freedom as other countries have. They still live in a 'slave' mentality.

Offtopic but,
Pheidon: But I am 100% that something like this will never happen again in Germany.

I believe there are discussions around here somewhere about this. I for one feel that the reunification of germany was the beginning sign to this once again happening again. It may not be as Hitler, per se, but something that would lead to a World War. There is a book called, 'The Third Wave' that predicts a lot of these things including the reunification long before it happened.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

23rd Jan, 2005 - 4:16pm / Post ID: #

History Countrys Ashamed

QUOTE (konquererz @ 23-Jan 05, 4:04 AM)
In my, the United States approval of slavery was absolutely the darkest part of my countries history.

You are right, slavery WAS a very dark point in history. However, it wasn't just the US. It was all of the civilized world. And the US was one of the first in the world to outlaw the practice, and it took a massive effort, including a civil war, to accomplish it.

So, slavery was the dark point, as well as one of the brightest points of US history. From the Underground Railroad to the development within various churches and religious organizations of a true respect for life and liberty, there are many, many points in the same history that confound the dark points.

Another point about this very subject is that there are a whole lot of countries in the world right now that practice slavery as horrible as was ever practiced in the United States, and most of the world ignores it. The US, mostly non-governmental organizations within the US, is about the only place that really objects to the practice, and is actively seeking to stamp it out. All because of our history dealing with it.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

23rd Jan, 2005 - 6:54pm / Post ID: #

I can't say that I am ashamed of anything my government has done representing my country. Even though many actions were wrong when judged by today's standard...such as slavery or the manner in which they took this land from the American Indians. However, at the time these acts were happening, this behavior was acceptable throughout society. I think we must judge people based upon the times and conditions in which they live/lived.

Now, I am ashamed of how my fellow citizens acted during the Viet Nam war. I am ashamed at how they treated returning soldiers. Those men were serving their country. The war wasn't their doing or their fault. This anger should have been directed at our leaders not the men called upon to fight it.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd Jan, 2005 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #

Ashamed Country's History

I love my country very much but I am ashamed of three main points:

1) I am ashamed of the cruelty and terrible acts committed by the military governments in Argentina during the 70's in what they called 'the dirty war' that got 30,000 Argentinians missing.

2) I am ashamed of the "Falkland Islands" war. I am ashamed that the military government at that time sent young kids of 18 years old to fight a senseless war when they did not even know how to use a gun. It was mass murder as far as I am concerned (Military Service was mandatory at that time).

3) After World War II Argentina sheltered lots of nazis that have run from Germany and they hide in Argentina with the sponsorship of a pro-nazy President "Juan Domingo Peron". My grandmother always reminds me that when she was young she used to see these posters in the streets when Peron was President. "Be Patriotic. Kill a jew".

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 19th Mar, 2005 - 7:52pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Ashamed Country's History Politics Business Civil & History

Things I am ashamed of Portugal:

I'm ashamed that Portugal was one of the main country to make slavery on the time of the discoveries, it was Portugal and Spain.

I'm ashamed that sometimes we showld had stood up against spain or France and we didn't. I'm ashamed of the time of the french invasion on Portugal our king fleed to Rio de janeiro in Brasil, even if we ended winning both 3 french invasions from Napoleon on Portugal.

I'm ashamed of our tentative to always remain like an ally of England when it used us most of the times. sad.gif

Even if I am ashamed of all of that. I'm proud that we always made the best to defend our home. Portuguese people always tried to make sure they would not lose their independence to the kingdom of Lion adn Castela (now spain).

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Ashamed: Your Country's History?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,