Is Islam Against Democracy?

Is Islam Democracy - Studies of Islam - Posted: 26th Jan, 2005 - 12:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

?
Poll: In general, when the words Islam, Muslim or Quran are spoken to you... can you associate any to the meaning of democracy?
  Yes!       16.67%
  Sometimes       0.00%
  Most times not       33.33%
  No!       50.00%
Total Votes: 6
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
25th Jan, 2005 - 1:32am / Post ID: #

An internet message reported to be from Zarqawi includes the following statement:

international QUOTE
"We have declared a bitter war against democracy and all those who seek to enact it," said the speaker in the 35-minute message.

"Democracy is also based on the right to choose your religion," he said, and that is "Against the rule of God." Sourcel

He appears to be trying to make all of Islam stand up against democracy and liberty. Since, according to all I have heard, including several posts on this topic, it is wrong for a Muslim to speak against another Muslim, will individual Muslims stand up against this claim and embrace democracy in Iraq? What about the fact that Zarqawi himself is speaking against other Muslims who DO embrace liberty, including religious liberty?

Sponsored Links:
25th Jan, 2005 - 2:28am / Post ID: #

Democracy Islam Is

international QUOTE
. Since, according to all I have heard, including several posts on this topic, it is wrong for a Muslim to speak against another Muslim, will individual Muslims stand up against this claim and embrace democracy in Iraq? What about the fact that Zarqawi himself is speaking against other Muslims who DO embrace liberty, including religious liberty?

Well, first of all, it seems not very sure if the tape is really the voice of Zarqawi… who knows… it is just a way to deceive people and bring hate and confusion since the Iraqi elections are so close. There will be a extremely tight security in place… I do not see anything bad happening (I really hope so) but I do think that if he was the one who said that, the people from Iraq must stand for what they believe to be true. I do not think they will take on just a voice on a tape.

Post Date: 25th Jan, 2005 - 3:03am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Is Islam Against Democracy? Islam Studies

I agree, I think that people who want the tape to be real, will believe it to be authentic. The true muslims that are against democracy will use it as a rally call. Those that are against muslims will use it as another example of Islamic hatred as a whole. Those who think for themselves will may it no mind, because I for one will not have my views manipulated by one mans rage against democracy. The person who made the tape is a fool who is not against democracy, but against freedom for humanity in general!

Reconcile Edited: Nighthawk on 25th Jan, 2005 - 1:39pm

25th Jan, 2005 - 1:25pm / Post ID: #

Democracy Islam Is

I agree, whoever made the tape is against liberty and freedom. It does appear that Zarqawi harbors those sentiments, as his organization has been among the most active of the terrorists to seek the halt of the elections.

But my original question stands. What will other Muslims say and do about this? Will they let these statements go, thus implicitly condoning this philosophy? Or will they begin to take a stand for liberty?

From what I know, Islam is generally dead set against any sort of religious liberty. Since religious liberty and pluralism are foundational concepts for a democratic system, does this then mean that Islam is fundamentally hostile to democracy and freedom?

Post Date: 25th Jan, 2005 - 2:14pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Democracy Islam Is

You can not say that Islam is against democracy ! It was somebody who use a series of statements to fuel his hatred ( and to give some new arguments to those that do not regard Islam like a good thing). To say that a religion is agains any concepts of freedom is to much. You can pinpoint on every religion some restriction agains our way of life but you do not condemn that religion because of that.

25th Jan, 2005 - 5:17pm / Post ID: #

If you read what I wrote more carefully, you will see that I am asking if the adherents of that religion, Islam, will condemn and stop those who are claiming that Islam is opposed to democracy.

Also, I have yet to see any evidence, anywhere, that the majority of Muslims are NOT opposed to religious liberty and pluralism. I would love to see such evidence.

So, if Zarqawi is NOT speaking for Muslims, I would expect to see some leaders, as well as a majority of Muslims, speaking up that they ARE in favor of a democratic society somewhere in the Middle East.

The question stands. Is Islam implacably opposed to democratic principles, including religious liberty and pluralism? Enquiring minds want to know.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th Jan, 2005 - 1:15am / Post ID: #

Is Islam Democracy

Is Islam implacably opposed to democratic principles, including religious liberty and pluralism?

Good question. I do not think so. Do you know what I believe Nighthawk?...I believe that there are a group/groups of so called 'muslims' who want to terrorised people and bring down democracy. But...I do not think the Islam itself as a religion is opposed to it, just as any other religious organizations there are people who misinterpreted the principles they abide in and they want to make it look as it is the Islam who is opposing democracy.

26th Jan, 2005 - 12:54pm / Post ID: #

Is Islam Democracy Studies Islam

OK, that is a fair statement. The next question then is, why is there not a single democratic system throughout ALL of the Islamic world? Afghanistan is approaching one, but only because the US nursed the country through their first election. Why is it that there is absolutely NO religious freedom throughout the Islamic world? Any Muslim who converts to another religion is subject to death, at the hands of anyone who can accomplish it.

Who, among all of Islam, is promoting democracy and personal liberty?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: Is Islam Against Democracy?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,