Is Islam Against Democracy? - Page 6 of 6

The future of democracy in the Muslim world - Page 6 - Studies of Islam - Posted: 31st Oct, 2016 - 10:25am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 6 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 

?
Poll: In general, when the words Islam, Muslim or Quran are spoken to you... can you associate any to the meaning of democracy?
  Yes!       16.67%
  Sometimes       0.00%
  Most times not       33.33%
  No!       50.00%
Total Votes: 6
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Post Date: 12th Jun, 2007 - 9:09pm / Post ID: #

Is Islam Against Democracy?
A Friend

Is Islam Against Democracy? - Page 6

international QUOTE
I just do not agree with the idea that Iran is a democratic country
I can understand why some people will not associate democracy with Iran. Iran is a "Theocracy" although it is unique as there hasn't been another "Theocracy" like it. However I will disagree that Iran is not a democratic government. Iran may not be a "Direct democracy" but it is a "Republic".

Officially Iran is called the "Islamic Republic". "Republic" is a term used only for states which enjoy public support or approval. This seems to be the case with Iran.

"Theocracy" and "Democracy" arent mutually exclusive. I could make a case that Iran is more democratic than the US or UK.

Infact if one wants to label Iran as undemocratic then I can say with some confidence then, that the only conceivable example of a pure democracy would be Switzerland and does not exist anywhere else.

international QUOTE
Particularly with regards to women's rights.

Womens rights have come a long way in Iran. LDS_forever would you like to explain why you consider Iran to be lacking in womens rights?

<!-- OFFTOPIC BEGIN -->
Rather off topic, but…
Vincenzo mentioned egypt. This is another topic but Egypt most definitely cannot be considered democratic. From what I have read and heard from egyptian friends Mubarak is more closer to a dictator.
<!-- OFFTOPIC END -->

Sponsored Links:
12th Jun, 2007 - 10:02pm / Post ID: #

Democracy Islam Is

Karbala:

international QUOTE
I can understand why some people will not associate democracy with Iran. Iran is a "Theocracy" although it is unique as there hasn't been another "Theocracy" like it. However I will disagree that Iran is not a democratic government. Iran may not be a "Direct democracy" but it is a "Republic".

Officially Iran is called the "Islamic Republic". "Republic" is a term used only for states which enjoy public support or approval. This seems to be the case with Iran.

I understand. I see a lot of Republics as Democratic in some aspects, my home country is a Republic as well as the country I am living right now, nevertheless I could not even start comparing these countries and its liberties with Iran and their laws and regulations solely based on Islam, that's why it is so overwhelming the fact that it is indeed a theocracy, making the democratic election of a President such a small even technical detail of the whole picture.

international QUOTE
Womens rights have come a long way in Iran. LDS_forever would you like to explain why you consider Iran to be lacking in womens rights?

Where to start? First of all, there are several women in prison in Iran right now accused of several crimes, they are also American citizens but since Iran does not recognize dual citizenships, we do not know if these individuals are dead or alive since the Iranian government won't disclose information about them. Some years ago, a photographer was murdered for taking pictures outside a prison, was anyone held really accountable?

Then, women in Iran can only get a divorce if certain "Requirements" are met (Basically the husband must be a very bad guy) They cannot divorce just because they do not longer wish to remain in that marriage, that goes absolutely against their rights. Women must follow strict dress codes or face whatever consequence, including humiliation or prison. I do not think they can even wear make up in public. A lot of specific jobs are forbidden for women as well as certain careers at university level. I am aware that they can now watch sports events, but can they participate in those events? This is just a SMALL lists of things I think the rights of women in Iran is lacking.

13th Jun, 2007 - 1:31am / Post ID: #

Is Islam Against Democracy? Islam Studies

I definitely wouldn't call Iran or most any other country in that region a Democracy. My point was more that over time we have distorted what true democracy really means. Democratic republics, democratic republics with a monarchy, democratic elected federalist republics, constitutional democratic republics… it just goes on and on. The thing is that they are all variations on a idea of democracy and they don't all match and some are quite different. The other thing that I was stressing is that even in what some may think are extreme theocracies, theocratic republics or even theocratic monarchies, there are some elements of democracy floating around in them.

The key point to why most in the west would say that Islam is against democracy is that western democracies have worked hard at distancing religion from ruling the government. Again, this is not to say that morals forged from religion do not play a role in how governments rule and act. This is in direct conflict to how islamic republics work. They not only embrace religion in the government… it is law. So if I put the shoe on the other foot, as they say, I can see how theocracies and theocratic republics believe that they are using democracy side by side with religion to govern. Meanwhile, western governments will say that these are religious dictatorships.

17th Jul, 2007 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

Page 6 Democracy Islam Is

As to the question is Islam against democracy, I believe it is. Every other Religion has gone through their "Reformation" where the most violent aspects of their religion have been reformed out. Judaism had its violent era and has changed, Christianity had its violent era and has changed, but Islam has been in its violent era for 400 years and still is. Islam needs to go through its own "Reformation" in order to allow democracy to flourish.

Until that portion of Islam that requires conversion by the sword or gets violently offended (Yelling allah ackbar as they separate a jewish or christian head from their bodies or call for the death of someone writing a fictional novel about the Islam) when someone makes a disparaging comment about their prophet or religion is eliminated or reforms, there will always be concern and suspicion about the Islamic Faith.

I believe and am heartened by the fact that in The United States and some European countries Muslims live peacably with their neighbors (Not so in most of the world). They have shown that islam can be a "Religion of peace". It is a great beginning, but those peaceful muslims need to become the Leaders of the islamic faith and not defend in any way Muslims who are violent in their religion.

Post Date: 31st Oct, 2016 - 10:25am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Democracy Islam Is

The future of democracy in the Muslim world

The combined calamity of Clinton and Trump can never do to Iran what the Islamic Republic has done over the decades. Ref. Source 4u.

+  « First of 6 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Is Islam Against Democracy?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,