Utah Sundays

Utah Sundays - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Jan, 2005 - 8:29pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 18th Jul, 2004 - 7:24pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Utah Sundays

Rights of people vs. a religious day of observance?

SUNDAY BECOMING JUST ANOTHER DAY

Once, within living memory, it was a day apart in many places: a 24-hour stretch of family time when liquor was unavailable, church was the rule, shopping was impossible and -- in some towns -- weekend staples like tending the lawn and playing in the park met with hearty disapproval.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...78068%2C00.html

Sponsored Links:
12th Aug, 2004 - 11:42pm / Post ID: #

Sundays Utah

The question here is based on a separation of Government from Church, so what is the deal? If people are really devotee then they should not need restrictions to make them stop participating in things that is against their beliefs.

Post Date: 23rd Jan, 2005 - 7:29pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Utah Sundays Studies Doctrine Mormon

OPEN ON SUNDAY? 84% OF MAJOR UTAH STORES DO BUSINESS ON THE SABBATH

Fifty years ago, almost every major shop and store in Utah was closed on Sundays, according to an old, yellowing study by the Utah Council of Retailers. Times have changed radically. But they have changed less in Utah County than in other parts of the state.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...06453%2C00.html

Post Date: 27th Jan, 2005 - 6:10pm / Post ID: #

Utah Sundays
A Friend

Sundays Utah

I thought the following info was interesting:

But two years after statehood, in 1898, the Legislature passed a law forcing most businesses to close on Sunday - or face a now-quaint fine of at least $5 and up to $100. (That law exempted several types of businesses, including hotels, restaurants, gas stations, livery stables, drug stores, theaters and bathing resorts.)

Interesting that the law allowed theaters to stay open on Sundays. Maybe the church back then did not consider going to a theatrical play as breaking the Sabbath. Today, most members do not consider going to the theater as an acceptable Sabbath activity.

27th Jan, 2005 - 8:29pm / Post ID: #

Sundays Utah

I remember as a child in Massachusetts stores had to be closed on Sunday. People would just go to New Hampshire. Then they severly limited the hours a store could be open on Sunday. Now, there are no restrictions. However, you must pay retail employees time and half to work on Sunday.

I don't think the law should prohibit business on Sunday. This is wrong, in my opinion. If you are Jewish, or Seventh Day Adventist, it isn't fair. Their sabbath is Saturday. So, if they choose to observe a strict sabbath on Saturday and stores are closed on Sunday, what are they supposed to do.

Even though my faith tells me the proper day to observe the sabbath is Sunday, the laws in the US definately don't allow laws to be created that require individuals to practice any particular religion. That truly is what the separation of church and state is supposed to be. However, if all businesses are open, and you work for one of those businesses, it can be a big problem for you if you faith says no work on Sunday. Still, I think you can't force business to close and still observe fully separation of church and state.

Even in Utah, not everyone is LDS. In the early days of the state's history, when they actually had these laws, they probably didn't need them. At that time most people were members of the LDS church. If these people were faithful LDS members, they wouldn't have frequented businesses on Sunday. This all by itself would keep businesses closed. Now that many people living in Utah are not LDS, I don't think the laws should exist.

> TOPIC: Utah Sundays

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,