Suicide By Train

Suicide Train - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 31st Jan, 2005 - 3:24am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

30th Jan, 2005 - 4:04am / Post ID: #

Suicide By Train

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this, but this has been on my mind since it happened.

"The derailment of a train in a suburb north of Los Angeles before dawn leaves at least 10 people dead and nearly 200 injured. The accident was caused when a commuter train smashed into an SUV left on the tracks. The commuter train then derailed and sideswiped another train.
The incident occurred when a man, in an apparent aborted suicide attempt, parked his SUV on the tracks and jumped out just before the collision. The man has been charged with multiple counts of manslaughter."

I wonder if the man should be charged with murder? I know it was not his intent to kill others only himself, but why when he changed his mind didn't he just drive off the tracks? If he had time to jump and run wouldn't he have had time to drive out of the path of the train? This is something that has always bothered me about some suicides. If you are intent on killing yourself, but end up killing others and you survive, should you be held accountable? If anyone has some thought on this topic I would love to read them.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 11 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.1%

Sponsored Links:
30th Jan, 2005 - 4:27am / Post ID: #

Train Suicide

This event has been on my mind for days. I can't believe this guy! I do believe they started out with a charge of murder, multiple murders, in fact; but I've not researched it very thoroughly. They say he'll get the death penalty. Well, where's the justice in that? I say let him live with the consequences of his stupidity. His original goal was to die, so take that option away from him.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

Offtopic but,
This crash comes just at a time when a family I know here in town has made the choice for the husband to commute via the same train system (Metrolink) into downtown L.A. where he's found a job -- after being unemployed over a year. So they are re-thinking the commuting and considering moving.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

30th Jan, 2005 - 10:15am / Post ID: #

Suicide By Train History & Civil Business Politics

If someone wants to commit suicide that is his or hers own business. I personally don't think it solves any problems, but that's me.

When someone decides to end his own life, they should do in a fashion so that no one else gets hurt, though it can be argued that taking one's own life hurts others emotionally.

I also agree with what FarSeer said, let him live with the consequences of his actions, don't help him do what let to the deaths of the innocent victims.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 21 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 2.1%

30th Jan, 2005 - 6:47pm / Post ID: #

Train Suicide

If he had time to jump and run wouldn't he have had time to drive out of the path of the train?

It depends. Had he turned off the vehicle, for example? Was it in park? Sometimes running is just reflex when you decide to flee. It is the first thought you have, not "turn on the car, and drive out of here.

I hear he was charged with murder, but I suspect in the end, he will be found guilty of manslaughter. I don't think he committed murder but more likely manslaughter. I think there has to be some intent to harm for murder to be committed (I might be wrong). Those who kill someone when driving under the influence don't get charged with murder, for example, yet their actions caused the death. They generally are charged with vehicular homicide. The penalty for such is generally less than for murder.

I understand the emotion behind the charge of murder, but I doubt it will stick. At least not by the time it gets to appeal.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 30th Jan, 2005 - 6:48pm

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Post Date: 30th Jan, 2005 - 9:25pm / Post ID: #

Suicide By Train
A Friend

Train Suicide

Murder involves intent to kill or harm someone else, not yourself. His intent was to kill himself and not another person, his careless actions cause others death and harm, so manslaughter is the correct charge.

I don't understand why he was on the tracks to begin with. What was so bad that he had to kill himself by train, but suddenly got better and he couldn't do it? To me, this is an odd situation in which he must not have really had the resolve to kill himself to begin with.

30th Jan, 2005 - 11:44pm / Post ID: #

Suicide By Train

Personally, I think he was trying to send a message with his potential death. Otherwise, why such a public setting for his suicide? He had to have known that his vehicle on the tracks would have caused a train accident of *some* sort -- you can't just stop a speeding train like that without some damage.

He is being charged with murder, 11 counts under "special circumstances" which carries the potential for the death penalty.

More can be read HERE.

Police said Alvarez had slashed his wrists and stabbed himself in the chest shortly before parking his sport-utility vehicle on the tracks, but jumped clear at the last moment. Alvarez was not injured in the crash.    "He certainly intended to commit the act of train derailment. And under California law, committing that act alone, whether one intended to kill anyone on the train or not, can lead to murder charges," Cooley said.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
31st Jan, 2005 - 1:57am / Post ID: #

Suicide Train

An update that I read said that he drove down the tracks and when he changed his mind his SUV had become wedged in the tracks. I agree that he should be charged with manslaughter. He should have to live knowing that he killed innocent people. I have some sympathy for him but most of my sympathy goes to the people who lost their lives just going to work. Imagine the horror of the engineer who knew he couldn't stop and probably didn't know that the SUV was empty. In my opinion Alvarez is a coward. He didn't have the nerve to end his life by his own hand he wanted someone else to do it and when it came right down to it couldn't even do that. I know that people who attempt suicide many times are screaming for help, but I just wish someone had been listening to Alvarez before 10 people had to die. It is all such a shame and a waste. I'm sorry but this has really gotten to me. You see I have been in the same pit of depression as Alvarez. I was lucky that there was someone who listened to me. Please if you know someone who is feeling depressed or is just acting a little sad. Spend some time listening to them, help them to know they are not alone. Let's not let something like this ever happen again.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 11 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.1%

31st Jan, 2005 - 3:24am / Post ID: #

Suicide Train Politics Business Civil & History

He will, at minimum, get several counts of manslaughter. AND he does deserve each and everyone of them! I live in Japan. People routinely commit suicide here with the aid of a train, BUT, they dont end up getting others killed in the process.

https://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-me...-home-headlines

It is sad that his life is not going well, but, if you want to commit suicide, make it suicide and not manslaughter or murder.

Just a thought,

Vincenzo

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

> TOPIC: Suicide By Train

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,