Soldiers That Kill - Page 2 of 3

During my 14 month deployment I've - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 19th Mar, 2006 - 8:54am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Tactically: Does a soldier have to enjoy what he is doing in order to do it effectively?
4th Feb, 2005 - 10:37pm / Post ID: #

Soldiers That Kill - Page 2

I actually chuckled when I heard that this Marine Corps 3 star general made this statement. Not because it was funny. It was one of those chuckles that says, "how could he be so stupid" and "he should have known better than to say such a thing."

Now, I think to some extent I understand what Nighthawk is trying to say. What I find is if you expect normal people to be willing to kill other people, those people must be turned into sub-humans in the eyes of those doing the killings. If the soldier really thought of their enemy as their equal and as decent humanly as they think of themselves and their buddies, how could they kill them with a clear conscience. Look at any conflict in the past. The enemy is always made out to be evil in some sense. For example, how we portrayed the Japanese in the media during WWII. In Viet Nam, the soldiers didn't think of the Vietnamese as people, they were gooks. To some extent, I believe this is necessary in order to survive combat. The fact is that is part of the training of a soldier. I also have found that often people with no military background cannot understand this. They think this training is horrible, but yet we want these men to go over their and do that which goes against everything they have been taught their entire lives is correct...kill another human being. Do that, but don't let it harden you. How can it not harden?

However, I think the word "fun" might not be the right choice of words to use. Perhaps it would have been better to say "it is satisfying to know we are eliminating some really terrible people who have done some pretty awful stuff. We feel like we are doing a good job/service in this regard."

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 4th Feb, 2005 - 10:39pm

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Sponsored Links:
4th Feb, 2005 - 11:09pm / Post ID: #

Kill Soldiers

Thanks for your reply Tena. Your last statement is exactly what I wanted to say. The word 'fun' and 'enjoy shooting them' it is not appropiate. I just can barely imagine what a soldier must go through in time of war and I guess they have to "program" themselves to do the job but to enjoy? , to have fun shooting them? Hmmm a bit too much.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

5th Feb, 2005 - 5:24am / Post ID: #

Soldiers That Kill History & Civil Business Politics

Whether it is right or wrong, I think that soldiers that enjoy and want to fight will do so more successfully, like everything in life. If not enjoying the actual killing process, wanting to fight for your country, and believing what you are doing is helpful will help you in war.

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

6th Feb, 2005 - 11:13pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Kill Soldiers

If you are at all interested in this subject, specifically in General Mattis' remarks, I strongly suggest that you read the following article:
https://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/39390.htm

In the course of a blunt discussion of how our military has to prepare for future fights, the general spoke with a frankness that won the hearts of the uniformed members of the audience. Instead of trotting out politically correct cliches, Mattis told the truth:

"You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil . . . it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

The language wasn't elegant. But we don't need prissy military leaders. We need generals who talk straight and shoot straight, men who inspire. And I guarantee you that any real Marine or soldier would follow Gen. Mattis.

What was the media's reaction? A B-team news crew saw a chance to grab a headline at the military's expense (surprise, surprise). Lifting the general's remarks out of context, the media hyenas played it as if they were shocked to learn that people die in war.

Combat veterans are supposed to be tormented souls, you understand. Those who fight our wars are supposed to return home irreparably damaged.

Then, there is little more discussion about this article at Captains Quarters

Between these two articles, I think they pretty well sum up my feelings.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Post Date: 20th Mar, 2005 - 11:47am / Post ID: #

Soldiers That Kill
A Friend

Kill Soldiers

It is surely right that some people don't deserve to live and do always the wrong thing, but well killing is not a easy thing or the best solution. I normally think don't do to the other what you don't want to be done to you. Kill another human is a very bad thing and a really good reason is needed for such an act.

But well human always needed to kill, for his defence or just to improve his life. If it wasn't for knowing that their "cause" was the right one, or that they were doing the right thing most surely wouldn't fight so well or even lose.

19th Jun, 2005 - 3:03pm / Post ID: #

Soldiers That Kill

As one who has been in the military and been in a less than friendly situation I think Funbikerchick had a very accurate point when she said

To some extent, I believe this is necessary in order to survive combat. The fact is that is part of the training of a soldier. I also have found that often people with no military background cannot understand this. They think this training is horrible, but yet we want these men to go over their and do that which goes against everything they have been taught their entire lives is correct...kill another human being.
From a soldiers point of view, you never "enjoy" the prospect of killing another person, but at the same time you train and train and train to do something for 2, 3, 4 or more years and then suddenly you are let go to go and do what you have trained to do and you do get excited. I would describe it more as knowing you are the best in the world at what you do and now we get to prove it mentality.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 13 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.3%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 13th Oct, 2005 - 11:05pm / Post ID: #

Soldiers That Kill
A Friend

Soldiers Kill - Page 2

Soldiers can love being soldiers. Being a soldier in the US military is in many cases no different then many corporate jobs. There are just as many soldiers in personnel, supply, and support positions that love their jobs as there are infantry..kick down the door...soldiers. My point is that this General does not reflect the opinion of many if not most soldiers. Believe it or not, most Generals are actually very out of touch with the soldiers they command. If you think Generals are out conducting convoys and patrols on the streets of Baghdad, you're crazy, hence they tend to be in their own little worlds.

Post Date: 19th Mar, 2006 - 8:54am / Post ID: #

Soldiers That Kill
A Friend

Soldiers Kill Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

During my 14 month deployment I've had to kill people. I didn't enjoy it. But it was a matter of surviving. It makes it easier that I don't know the people personally that I had to kill. But when your in combat and you start thinking is this guy married or has a family. That's when you hesitate behind the trigger. And that split second you stop to think , might cost you your life. I will admit their are soldier's that enjoy killing. Espeacially in the combat arms field. ( Infantry , Rangers , Marine Recon )

Reconcile Edited: Darius on 19th Mar, 2006 - 9:22am

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Soldiers That Kill

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,