Rules Of War - Page 3 of 4

Under the fourth Geneva Convention hospitals - Page 3 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 13th Jan, 2009 - 7:43pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Are there actual rules of war that need to be followed or is war something that has no restrictions?
10th Aug, 2007 - 3:17am / Post ID: #

Rules Of War - Page 3

But should you satisfy the terms of the ceasefire, then you get your fiefdom back. It is written in the agreement. There is a road to freedom and a return loop to war...they choose. Now, the rules cannot be continually rewritten...that just isn't right to the surrendering party.

A long time ago, the rules to war were pretty simple. You line your guys up and I will line my guys up and we will march towards one another, shooting rifles and arrows and when we get too close, we will bayonet each other. That was the honorable way to fight and if required...to die. I dare say you wont find a civilized country that still partakes of this novel idea of rules of engagement. It is just too bloody and over time, life has become more valuable to us. Now we will hide behind a tree or a house, shoot a missile or use a tank and guerilla warfare is rampant and very successful, but might not seem as noble. Our only questions today for what happens in war are did we avoid civilian casualties at all cost, how many people can be killed with one weapon and by what means are they killed.

As said many times in the thread, the treatment of prisoners and civilians of conquered lands are supposedly governed by the Geneva convention, but are more so written by the victor.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th Sep, 2007 - 11:28am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

War Rules

DOCUMENTS: TROOPS DISREGARD RULES OF WAR

Newly released documents regarding crimes committed by U.S. troops against civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan detail a pattern of troops failing to understand and follow the rules that govern interrogations and deadly actions.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/04/aclu....y.ap/index.html

Post Date: 5th Sep, 2007 - 2:05pm / Post ID: #

Rules Of War
A Friend

Rules Of War History & Civil Business Politics

I think it would be wonderful to be able to compare how well our forces are doing now in compliance with the rules of war as opposed to other long-term engagements.

Awfully hard to know how you are doing in a vacuum.

but are more so written by the victor.

Or the squeakiest wheel. There was an article in the news the other day detailing about how hard it is to change inaccurate public perceptions, e.g. Muslims believing that Arabs did not attack the U.S. on 9/11. Once opinion has been formed it's hard to change, even if it's 100% wrong.

Reconcile Edited: tortdog on 5th Sep, 2007 - 2:07pm

Post Date: 1st Nov, 2007 - 8:52am / Post ID: #

Rules Of War
A Friend

Page 3 War Rules

It seems to me that the US is the only country today that is held to any standard in matters of rules of war. If the Brits do something (and they do) no one cares, if the French do something in West Africa, again, no one really cares. Then there's the Muslims and their endeavors to create hell on earth, but all of that is beside the point.

Who says there's rules in war? Who enforces them? Where does their authority and legitimacy come from? Where is the standard for rules of war?
The only answer I can come up with to these questions is no one or the country currently at war.

Post Date: 24th Mar, 2008 - 2:17pm / Post ID: #

Rules Of War
A Friend

War Rules

Many of the so called rules of war came at the end of WWI at Geniva, Switzerland. The U.S.A. still follows many of those rules of engagement while other countries continue to ignore them. We(the US) are held at a higher standard as we are the so called champions of peace and justice. Just like a police officer is held at a higher standard in enforcing laws the US is held in higher standards of military behavior.

6th Jan, 2009 - 8:51pm / Post ID: #

Rules Of War

QUOTE (JB)
The only rules are the ones that the winning army chooses to enforce.

I think this is the only rule to war that really matters in the end. How you manage to capture the enemy territory matters little. Remember if you lose you are the criminal as you are now in the foreign country you were fighting against and you should expect to be treated as such.

I do not think that liberalism has a place in war. It belongs to the peace times where issues are of a far less then life and death. War has one rule win or die. Sorry I see little point in keeping the enemy alive unless they are important or can be used as a slave to be placed on your front line to be slaughtered by their own or shot in the back for treason.

A rule is only good if all sides recognize it and try to uphold it and punish their members who do not. A difficult task at best and if the other is not abiding you tie up great labor resources and financial funds that could be better used in the war machine.

So I vote one rule kill or die.

I realize the reality if you did this your country is now black balled by the rest of the civilized countries and your economy will greatly suffer.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 7th Jan, 2009 - 4:02pm / Post ID: #

Rules Of War
A Friend

Rules War - Page 3

You are correct the country that goes by the rule of win or die will not last long in the world. There are certain rules that should always be in place. If one surrenders to you you do not kill them but take them to a holding area to be placed with others who have surrendered. If you kill those that do not want to fight you your going to have to kill every one to include the women and children because they will rise up against you and you will be defeated. IF you treat your enemy as a person you will be much better off in the view of others if you win or lose.

13th Jan, 2009 - 7:43pm / Post ID: #

Rules War Politics Business Civil & History - Page 3

Under the fourth Geneva Convention hospitals and places of worship have special protections that restrict the attacking of these facilities.

But how is the status of these building affected if combatants are housed in these places, or if rockets are fired from these buildings. Do they become a legitimate military targets if they are used as military buildings as well as humanitarian buildings?

It also states in the convention that Civilians shall not be intentionally targeted. If combatants are intentionally hiding behind civilians and firing from behind them is it legitimate to kill the combatant with a knowledge that some innocents may be killed? Does this apply to a building with combatants in it (If someone is firing from a window, and their may be civilians in adjoining rooms, is it legitimate to fire a tank shell into the window, knowing that some civilian casualties may occur?)

In my opinion, the Rules of War become clouded when one side refuses to follow them. It further clouds the issue if following them, in some circumstances, may result in your own death. Is losing your life worth not firing at a group of people if a gunman is amongst them, firing at you?

I would not want to be a soldier in today's wars.

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Rules Of War

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,